Help with molding heads!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 01, 2014, 02:59:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1619938 Posts in 191543 Topics by 43291 Members
Latest Member: Walterlbrennan
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Help with molding heads! « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help with molding heads!  (Read 779 times)
6pointer

« on: May 06, 2012, 07:48:03 PM »

I usually keep the original skull and bill but just read the casting thread in the tutorials using silicone and bondo. The molding sounds fairly simple to me but my question is do any of you mold each and every head to ensure a exact fit or do you mold multiple one at a time and just use them? What if one mallar drakes head differs from the next? I'm new to this as I've always clean my heads out and painted the bill. Thanks!
DWC Taxidermy
Gold Member

Distinguished Wildlife Creations, LLC

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 09:43:11 PM »

I do mold each and every head because all ducks are different and so are their head sizes.   Maybe over kill on my part but my customers like the idea.  :)

"Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord".  Psalm 150:6

Member:  NTA, SCAT and DU

Johnny Griggs, Owner
Distinguished Wildlife Creations, LLC
Florence, S.C.
delta hunter
Bronze Member

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 11:30:43 PM »

If the mold is good, I make several heads. Then I compare the size when I skin the next one. Most of the time I can use it on the same species.

If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
6pointer

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:15:13 AM »

Ok thanks. I figured that one mold would fit most BUT it's not a perfect fit so that's why I asked to see what other people do. I don't mind keeping the head but I feel like It would be less time consuming not having to clean the head out.
drakeman
Gold Member

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:53:29 AM »

You can use the same mold for multiple heads.   Not any different from buying the commercial heads.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Help with molding heads! « previous next »