First Project, Please Critique
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 26, 2014, 04:31:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1618253 Posts in 191272 Topics by 43233 Members
Latest Member: JAC_projects
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: First Project, Please Critique « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: First Project, Please Critique  (Read 1105 times)
Becca Petersen

« on: May 10, 2012, 07:15:47 PM »

Had to taxidermy two fish for my Wildlife and Forestry class, so here's my finished piece! These are skin mounts, and I did everything from skinning to the habitat! I got a third place, which I was pretty happy with :)
I'd love all the critique I can get, I hope to do much more taxidermy this summer, but of mammals.  Let me know what you like and what you don't :)

*EDIT My pictures are too big for taxinet apparently, so here are some links. I'm sorry for the inconvenience ^^;
Also, don't let the fact that I'm on DeviantArt put you off, I'm very serious about learning taxidermy and hope to get a few rigids done this summer for I've finally got all the money to get my forms.

http://galianogangster.deviantart.com/art/My-Taxidermy-Perch-Steve-and-Tiger-301284398?q=gallery%3Agalianogangster&qo=2 http://galianogangster.deviantart.com/art/My-Taxidermy-Perch-Steve-and-Tiger-II-301284837?q=gallery%3Agalianogangster&qo=1 http://galianogangster.deviantart.com/#/d4zdmxj
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:24:24 PM »

Your work contains the issues most beginners make. For me they are better addressed by you purchasing a quality video from one of the fishheads.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Becca Petersen

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:33:36 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion, if I do fish again I will be sure to do that ^ ^
Care to point out any?
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 10:21:20 PM »

Becca,, don't feel bad. Yours looks no worse that all our "first" ones.  In fact, yours look strikingly familiar to my first ones.

The eyes are too big.  A fish's eye socket is oversize to hold the eyeball and it's connective tissue.  Your "eye" fills the entire void with no connective tissue.

The fins are ratty.  They need to be repaired.  Fish often dry out quickly and the fragile webbing between the spines of the fin simply split and contract.  This is repaired by using a fin backing and silkspan or similar material.  I use lens cleaning paper and TufFin.

Your paint is too drab.  The yellow perch is a rather garish fish with bright showy colors and distinct black lines.  It has shimmmers and metalic golds that make it "alive"  A good reference picture along with a good paint schedule will work wonders.

The caudal fin or tail fin is closed up and should be open.  The tail fin is the main propellant of a fish in water.  They should be opened up to portray that action.  They do close up when a fish is gliding, but in the depiction you have, one seems to be chasing the other.

Your plants look fake.  Remember a rule that competitions use: A diorama can't add to a score, but it can subtract.  That's what you have.  The plants look plastic (probably aquarium plants) and that fake glossy look detract even more from your work.  Pick plants wisely.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Becca Petersen

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 11:05:03 PM »

Thank you! I will definitely do some more research next time :)
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: First Project, Please Critique « previous next »