Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2014, 01:42:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1603428 Posts in 189134 Topics by 42809 Members
Latest Member: salmonflies
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Help with Musky Please « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help with Musky Please  (Read 1019 times)
deremer44
Bronze Member

« on: May 08, 2012, 08:01:50 AM »

Ok guys and gals, I received a 42 inch Musky last night which is no problem but he wants it done in a water/water fall habitat. I've never done that yet and need some ideas and how to's. He don't want to get to much tied up in it and the fish alone will be around $475.00 the most he'll go is $600. Does anyone have some pics or ideas? Would mounting half the fish be a option coming out of water with water fall behind the fish? He's ok with half a fish all he's concernd with is the head because its defromed and unique. Thanks in advance.
kirk33
Gold Member

lighten up buddy

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 09:17:57 AM »

I think you have found yourself in the unique position of having a customer who wants an awesome mount but doesn't want to have to pay for it. Sorry about the sarcasm but this is a very common problem. I think you are talking about a splash scene or do you really mean incorporating  a waterfall  into the diorama.  For a splash scene all you need to do is get some water crystals from Dan Reinhardt. They come with instructions but they will collect dust after a while. I would let him shop around till he finds someone to take on his project for little to no money then when he gets back a p.o.s. he will probably bring his future work to you and pay your price. Good luck and remember that under charging is not an acceptable excuse for poor quality work.     

Providing wholesale fleshing/tanning services, as well as fish mounting for the taxidermy industry.
Old Fart
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 09:39:15 AM »

$600 MIGHT get the fish mounted......it certainly wouldn't get any kind of habitat......especially something like you describe.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
deremer44
Bronze Member

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 09:47:58 AM »

He wants it the way he caught it. At the base of a waterfall. Again half a fish don't bother him. I charge $12 a inch, for my area that is the norm. Haven't done any water scenes as of yet so that is a little scary right now but I will get it done. I am a perfectionist in everything I do so he will have a great mount. My problem is being the way I am I can't charge for my time because I personally am never satisfied till its perfect. What would be a average price for the habitat for something like this since I haven't done water yet?
kirk33
Gold Member

lighten up buddy

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 07:56:16 AM »

You haven't said what you are actually going to build . How large of a waterfall , is there a splash scene, what material are you going to make it out of ? I have no idea by your post what you should charge or what an average price would be. So to answer your question $175. lol

Providing wholesale fleshing/tanning services, as well as fish mounting for the taxidermy industry.
turkeyjim
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 09:08:50 AM »

The mount is going to be $504, if you charged him your 12 per inch, the base is going to cost you alot of time, and the cost of material. If you can't charge him what you feel your worth, just send him on his way. He'll find the next cheap guy down the road. You don't want to be known at the cheap guy, do ya.
Jim

Jim's Whitetail Taxidermy I do the best with what I got, just remember it wasn't a moose you shot!
deremer44
Bronze Member

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 08:09:45 PM »

Thank you for your replies. I think I will send him on his way. I tried to figure a way for him but I come up way over his limit for mount and base. I know you guys say get what your worth, but one more question: What did you do when you first started? Did you give breaks to get customers or did you hold you ground? What I was going to do was a rectangle or octagon base with clear rods holding Musky going through Plexiglas with splashes. Looking like he was 1/2 out of water. Just one idea.
turkeyjim
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 01:39:32 PM »

I started out doing mounts for myself, friends and family until I was sure I was ready for customers. I did give breaks at first, but thinking back, I wish I didn't. Some of the mounts I'd seen from the other taxidermists in our area, was, well less favorable to be nice, and they were charging much more than I was.
 I did have a very good teacher/mentor, friend that helped me out greatly, and still fills my head with new ideas to help me improve.
 Pick your poison, if you feel you need to give a break on a mount your not familiar with, it can't hurt, just be honest with your customer.
Good luck it's a tough business were in.
Jim

Jim's Whitetail Taxidermy I do the best with what I got, just remember it wasn't a moose you shot!
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 02:43:29 PM »

. I charge $12 a inch, for my area that is the norm.
Not knocking your price, but why not bump your areas norm up starting with you? Having a little fat in the price will let you do more than the norm guys in your area can.

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
deremer44
Bronze Member

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 05:44:46 PM »

Thanks everyone. I talked to the guy and he said he would be able to go $850 the highest so I'm taking it. This probably will take me awhile so I'll post pics when its done. Time to get my feet wet. So far I've only done for family and friends and they've all been really pleased so the fun begins! One plus I really enjoy doing this work.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Help with Musky Please « previous next »