Fleshing,, how long shld it take for a white tail..
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 01, 2014, 09:24:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1619966 Posts in 191547 Topics by 43292 Members
Latest Member: bambistew
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Fleshing,, how long shld it take for a white tail.. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Fleshing,, how long shld it take for a white tail..  (Read 2152 times)
Bigbucklover69

« on: May 10, 2012, 09:07:32 PM »

I got a question for yas,, whats the average for fleshing out a white tail cape? Im just learning how to do this, from turning the parts to completing the fleshing its taking me around 5-6 hours,, now remember i am really new at this..does that seem like a long time or am i doing ok for now...and one other thing,, is there a place you can send the skin to be fleshed instead of doing it yourself? 
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:14:31 PM »

What is an "average",whitetail? Stop worrying about time and worry about thoroughness.  I can flesh one in 20 minutes when I try but usually take 30 because I stopped timing myself.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:32:40 PM by George Roof » Logged

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
buckfever/louisiana
Platinum Member

Glenn G.

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:22:13 PM »

Don't be so concerned  with speed at this point. Concentrate  on getting the skin fleshed properly  & As thin as you can get it.
Speed will come with experience.
My first few took all day 28 years later 30 min.
You need to learn to flesh/shave before you start looking to send it out.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
buckfever/louisiana
Platinum Member

Glenn G.

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:23:11 PM »

lol, you beat me to that George.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Bigbucklover69

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 05:48:31 AM »

Guess i wrote that wrong,, im not worried about time, i actually am bored after my day job, i was just wondering if 6-7 hours to flesh was a normal start or am i doing something way wrong that i need to change up..and wow george, 20-30 mins, thats amazing..takes me that long just to get it on the board straight, lol
tazzymoto
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 06:17:59 AM »

45 minutes for me

kikkertinz
Platinum Member

Glass half full

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 07:51:40 AM »

Just like anything else the more times you do it with good technique the more efficient you will become. No different than most other things. Stick with it! Wait til you cant leave well enough alone with a fleshing machine and think you can get one more pass on an area and you open up a nice 2-3" hole or bigger..lol
silverman
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 08:08:26 AM »

X2 on that one !!!!
Bigbucklover69

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 08:44:41 AM »

lol nice,, yeah i asked for a sewing basket for xmas thats for sure,, i did my 2nd deer in my living room last night and learned 3 very important factors,,one was when doing the ear make sure the filler goes on inbtween the cartlidge and ear, not threw the center so it falls on the floor and you cant find it until you step in it and your wife wants to kill you..  :)
Dennis Bragg
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 10:18:14 AM »

I avg about 45 min but some of these FL deer will only take 20 min, all you do is split things...there is no fleshing and very little shaving at that. lol
tazzymoto
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 06:53:50 PM »

Just like anything else the more times you do it with good technique the more efficient you will become. No different than most other things. Stick with it! Wait til you cant leave well enough alone with a fleshing machine and think you can get one more pass on an area and you open up a nice 2-3" hole or bigger..lol
Just like sex!

sportsmen wildlife
Bronze Member

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 10:26:37 PM »

If you asked 100 taxidermist what there definition of fleshing is you would get 100 different answer's. Just ask anybody who has worked in a tannery. Just like one taxidermist will say he can mount one deer a day and another will say he can mount four. To me the process of mounting start's with caping the deer and end's when that deer is ready for pick up, to others it's when you get it back from the tannery to when it's drying on a rack. If you are getting your deer to where there is little to no prep work after tanning then your fleshing time for your first few is not that bad.
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 11:36:10 PM »

Damn Taz.  Bummer.  The worst sex I ever had was wonderful.  Sorry about your luck.  Now I don't know if it was that good to the girl involved, but that didn't have anything to do with how well I enjoyed it.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
paul e
Platinum Member

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 01:22:23 PM »

oh ya try fleshing standing on your head

using stop-rot up front makes everything else go better
and somewhere off in the distance a deer grunted
boarhunter67
Platinum Member

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 05:13:07 PM »

When I started, deer took me about 3 hours to skin off the head and get to the salted stage.  Now it takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on certain factors like if the ear is split, etc.  This year I got too busy so I hired a college student to skin and flesh for $50 a head. 
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Fleshing,, how long shld it take for a white tail.. « previous next »