Mold mold mold
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2014, 10:28:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1612500 Posts in 190468 Topics by 43070 Members
Latest Member: cretoxyn
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Mold mold mold « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Mold mold mold  (Read 2333 times)
Kevin Jaramillo
Bronze Member
**
Posts: 204

« on: May 12, 2012, 11:25:59 AM »

Finished my fourth ever shoulder mount customer picked it up...a week later he sent a pic of where he lifted the hide off of skull cap he found mold ...I thought it was my hide paste but its not even 2 months old and I always add a lil pinesol to my glue..I did use paper mache from McKenzie over skull cap....will this mold up if it gets wet........

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Logged
Dennis Bragg
Platinum Member
*****
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 7185


« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:28:12 PM »

How did he just lift up the hide?  ???
Logged
Kevin Jaramillo
Bronze Member
**
Posts: 204

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 12:33:10 PM »

His dad spotted the mold on top of the hide cut it open and the mold was spotty on top of mache I told hom to pinesol asap and id pick it up in which I would have proceeded I'm guessing to spray lysol or rub pinesol over the area add paste and restitch

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Logged
George Roof
Platinum Member
*****
Location: Magnolia, Delaware
Posts: 30967


The older I get, the better I was.

WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 01:02:57 PM »

Now THERE'S a piece of work for a customer. Mold can't survive without moisture. That's why I stop using mache decades ago and use Bondo instead.  But I do use clay and I'm sure if any of my customers cut that scalp open, they'd find some mold on occasion.  BUT if he did cut it open, I'd tell him to sew it back up himself.

It sounds as if you returned the head too quickly after mounting.  If the ear canals feel moist, it's not ready to go back.  Once that hide dries completely, mold cannot survive.

BTW, most hide pastes have wheat flour (dextrine) in them and this serves as a great food source to mold WHEN WET.
Logged

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Kevin Jaramillo
Bronze Member
**
Posts: 204

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 01:12:10 PM »

Sounds about ,I beleived it to be dry for two weeks before finish work but did have a stubborn peice of hair I had underneath a stitch so I re wet this part and add show sheen before he picked it up...I will not ever use mache again...thanks george...this is so embarrasing ..but I learned..so yes he will restitch or bring it back so its done right

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Logged
John C
Platinum Member
*****
Posts: 14863


« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 11:20:10 PM »

Pinesol to stop mold???? You need to do some research!
Logged
Kevin Jaramillo
Bronze Member
**
Posts: 204

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 11:39:27 PM »

John this will stop bacteria right..........................

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Logged
cyclone
Platinum Member
*****
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 3438


Posts: 31175

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 09:46:34 PM »

What hide paste did you use?

How was the cape preserved?


Like George said, mold thrives in damp conditions...dry it out and get rid of the mold.  Nix the mache..
Logged



Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. They are one and the same...

Re-hydrate! It is an important step.


Spell chek.....not jest enother perty button.
Kevin Jaramillo
Bronze Member
**
Posts: 204

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 11:53:53 PM »

Its the gallon of paste from McKenzie for 23 dollars it just says premium hide paste ,I got the cape day after kill to cape myself I froze it and sent it for a wet tan at keystone furrdressing in aspers pa,  I am now with all your guys help leaning torwards I rushed it into customers hands plus mache being damp and moist ....never again I thank you all for the help mount number 5 for me will have more caution with this prob area ,in the books

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Logged
Kevin Jaramillo
Bronze Member
**
Posts: 204

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 01:11:43 PM »

The paste is from trufit,sorry

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Logged
Hammer
Platinum Member
*****
Location: NM
Posts: 1077


« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 11:23:13 PM »

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin, let the mache dry before you mount or if lack of time use bondo and clay. That skull cap with mache needs to be dry completely or it will mold. Also make sure your cape is not soaking wet when you mount it. If you have stubborn hair don't soak it up especially on the skull cap over machee. Just card it. Mache has been used forever so you can't say it won't work. Using clay and bondo on every mount will be more expensive than using mache. The only time I use bondo and clay is on a short incision. But other than that you need to make sure that mache is dry before you mount. Good luck and keep at it.
Regards, Geno
Logged
John C
Platinum Member
*****
Posts: 14863


« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 11:28:26 PM »

Pinesol is a cleaner, not a fungicide.
Logged
boarhunter67
Platinum Member
*****
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 4296


WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 11:32:32 PM »

I always add lysol concentrate to my hide paste.  I think the others are right about the mache.  I don't think the mache by itself did it, but being damp for so long...  You should be able to fix it, but like you said, embarrassing.  I've never had a problem with mold until last weekend.  I had mounted a bear rug 4 days before and picked it up to see how it was drying and there was mold underneath.  It was still wet underneath and I hadn't left a fan on it or anything.  Never had a problem before, but now I know to allow for air flow underneath or to put it on a dry towel so excess moisture doesn't drain out and create mold.  Luckily, mine was fixed long before the customer got it.
Logged
cyclone
Platinum Member
*****
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 3438


Posts: 31175

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 08:45:58 AM »

I always add lysol concentrate to my hide paste.

Why?  The hide paste that I use is quality and has never given me problems..
Logged



Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. They are one and the same...

Re-hydrate! It is an important step.


Spell chek.....not jest enother perty button.
gade04
Gold Member
****
Location: Valdosta, GA
Posts: 564


« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 10:13:54 AM »

But other than that you need to make sure that mache is dry before you mount.

How are you supposed to let the mache dry before you mount?  I put the cape on the form, then attach the antlers and mache through the y incision. 
Logged

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." George Washington
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Mold mold mold « previous next »
 



Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP
Contents © 2006-2012 Taxidermy.Net, LLC. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy.
Powered by SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.