Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 03:20:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1595366 Posts in 188017 Topics by 42614 Members
Latest Member: Babbboy16
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Reptile Taxidermy  |  Topic: Article on gator hunting « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Article on gator hunting  (Read 3397 times)
bubba z
Platinum Member

« on: May 14, 2012, 07:48:45 AM »

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/local/west-volusia/2012/04/29/alligator-hunt-helps-manage-thriving-iconic-species.html.

Article on gator hunting in daytona beach news journal. Ralph you should recognize those gators in the picture.
rbear
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 06:41:20 AM »

Cool

Common sense is the highest form of logic
lakejessup
Bronze Member

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 08:32:31 PM »

wow great report and in a totaly positive light.
Thefishen1

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 10:23:44 PM »

I got my tags yesterday,I got the one in my pic last year and it was 11ft 2in. weighed over 500lbs. caught it on a fishing pole with 60lb braided line, it took 5hrs to bring in. I can't wait for the season to start....

I'm not a "Rocket Scientist" but you give me a screwdriver (or scalpel) and I'll take one apart....
Foxy Davis

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:35:28 PM »

Hey thefishen1 What tags did you get? We got others also and have some clients booked but still have room for some more. we have Marion and lake county. Foxy
bubba z
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 01:43:52 PM »

The tags went quick this year there are only a few county tags left . They give out way too many lake county tags and a few others. I didn't get near as many as last year and I don't see getting any on the third round this year.
Thefishen1

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 09:46:24 PM »

Hey thefishen1 What tags did you get? We got others also and have some clients booked but still have room for some more. we have Marion and lake county. Foxy
  We got Hillsbough Co. tags, My two friends and I only apply for hills. tags during the lottry and if I get them I gettt'em if I don't oh well. I've hunted for them all over Fl. and I've found it's just easier to get some place close. Like I said I've hunted allot of lake and rivers in Fl and Lake Thonotosassa is the best for gators, it's 855acre. 15ft. deep and nothing but sand, no rocks, no trees to cut you off and full of gators. I'm surprised that the number of people that swim and ski in that lake only if they knew....I've been bow hunting in north Fl and had a gator come walking threw the wood and I was nowhere near water, it sounded like a hog coming threw the woods

I'm not a "Rocket Scientist" but you give me a screwdriver (or scalpel) and I'll take one apart....
Foxy Davis

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 10:41:41 AM »

Yup done that before ,walked up on a ten footer mile from the water when I was turkey huntin',and seen many tracks crossing sand road when riding . Gators move water to water more then prople think. My boy ran over a 9 six coming home from work one night less then a 100 yards from the driveway and my house is 1 1/2 miles from "any" water body. What I dont understand about the draw here in Florida is after the first draw there was probably 2/3 of the tags left that werent paid for, then the second draw they all went in about 20 minutes. Didnt the people that got picked have the money to pay for them or  What??? Or was the draw for people that didnt want a tag and all the people that wanted one had to wait 'til the second draw. I've been suspect about the random draw for some time,seems like if you get picked this year you wont next year,all the folks around me that had tags last year didnt get picked and the newbies got a tag. Years ago it seemed you couldnt get picked but the trappers or their family members got picked time and time again. I and both my hunting partners didnt get tags and We ended up with Lake county tags in the second draw. We hunt and live right around the Lake and Marion lines so either or is fine for us. One lake we hunt has the county line right thru the middle of it. Lake county  ,second hunt was my first choice based on clients time to hunt and we just have to switch it up a bit. 
Foxy
Thefishen1

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 09:36:22 PM »

Well I hate to tell you this butt...I was picked twice in a row (2yrs running) and it was my first pick one year and my third pick the second year, my friend says I'm just "a lucky bastard". What happens with the lottery is, a group of guys (hunting partners) will all fill out the forms and when the results are posted they will figure out who has the best lake or river and pair up and let the other tags they don't preffer go up for sale.It can get pricey, My friend and I split the coast of the tag and the agent lic. and we split up the meat, it's not that bad that way.This is the first year my friends boy can file and yes he got it (newbie) he says he wants to get one in a canoe, I'm game.
   The Lottery system was a good idea at first, it gave everybody a chance, especially the ones that want to hunt locally and the ones that can't sit there and wait for the windows to open at the tag office....BUT it does need to be revamped, maybe have a second round after the first pay deadline and that would do it.
  I use to fish with my Father In-law who lived in Eustis, I know the area well....

bubba z
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 08:49:43 AM »

They should do like the western states and make you pay when you draw the lottery to keep people from putting in with groups and handpicking the licenses they want.  I got picked this year with my first choice but not the last two years and had to buy them in the second round and bought lots of tags in the third round but they are about sold out this year for some reason.
Foxy Davis

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 10:43:15 AM »

The tv shows like Swamp People have everyone wanting to hunt 'em. Everyone wants a10 footer 500 pounds that you can pull in the boat with one hand!! I'm very aware how the lottery draw works but sometimes I'm not sure!! I know Eddie White who is the head of it all. One year there was a big mess up with the turkey tags back when the license was transferable. As a  turkey guide I would play the system sending in many apps and then just using what I got.  Everyone that sent in that year either got all tags or no response at all . I had sent in 10 numbers at the end of the draw and got 10 permits,but didnt hear anything about the 30 or so sent the first part of the draw. This happened to lots of folks and when I called Eddie to find out how come some people had 100% draw and some got nothing not even a rejection notice ,  He found out that due to a mistake of the 5000 apps sent in only a little over 2000  were put in the draw  for 2000 permits, the first  3000 apps received werent even in the draw!!  When I called back to find out what they going to do about that He said since the mail runs random then you had a random chance of your app getting in later so It was still a random draw!!  Still there were 3000 folks names not in the draw but oh well  there is always next year. Right!!Should be different with the computer sent in apps but then  who knows. One thing too with the preference points is that you dont build up points like you do for the other states, Every one with points goes in the same hat to draw from,doesnt matter if you have 1 or 10 points. and if you get any permit at all from 1st to 5th choice you lose the points. At least that how it is unless there has been a recent change. anyhow tried to buy some additional tags and they were sold out by 10:04 so there is always next year. No preference points for Gator tags though. Foxy
bubba z
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 11:36:10 AM »

I didn't know the preference points didn't build up that isn't right. I've been putting in for the same area as my only choice since the points started and still haven't got drawn. I'm glad they got rid of the sharing of tags that was a shady deal to say the least.i tried to buy the extra tags closest to me today and there was about 50 left and I went right on at ten and they were gone . I'm suspect to say the least of how they run they whole deal. It should be a real lottery and if you draw you buy the license or don't even put in for it like most other states.
lakejessup
Bronze Member

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 04:30:42 PM »

heck i like it without prefrence points but tha i have gotten picked every year right now the first phase you only have a week to pay i think thats fair. the reason some people dont take what they are given in the first round is because of what they might get second round. so far i like it the way it is. but i'm always differnt volusia county 4th week jessup 1st week. good luck guys
Foxy Davis

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 12:55:57 PM »

The sharing the tags is the better way to go I think,keeps the same number of hunters in the woods. now with the buddy system it increases the number of hunters out there sharing the bag limit. Take someplace like Mary farms,Tough to draw!! anyhow when the tags were transferable you had 40 hunters total. the area was deemed too crowded by the FWC,so they lowered the permits to 30 but now you can bring a buddy so its possible to have 60 hunters when 40 was too crowded. Take some place like Church llake with 225 now you can have 450 hunters in the same woods???? Some of my turkey clients didnt draw this year so we just buddied up and they could still hunt so it worked out this time, they applied for pipeline first hunt. Didnt get picked. I ran into a hunter that had pipeline first hunt and it was his 5th choice. He always hunted appalachicola forest and didnt get his first choice and right before season there were Appalatch had permits left over so again ????? Anyhow Foxy
bubba z
Platinum Member

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »

The biggest problem I have is with the tag sharing and why it doesn't work for  a hunter trying to draw a legitimate license is that a bunch of guys abuse the system by having everybody they know put in for the draw and use people's tag that have no plans to hunt and are just drawing it for their friends. That is unethical in the least and I only put in for me and haven't drawn yet for the area I want because of people gaming the system . It's not done in any other states or hunts  anywhere else I know of for a reason. The people gaming the system had the majority of the tags every year in somebody's else's name.  It's illegal I'm several states to get a license in your name with no plans to use it. The buddy system isn't perfect either . The preference points should build up every year until you draw and you can put in for a group but you go on the lowest person in the groups preference points just like Colorado and other states that are much more organized on their hunts
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Reptile Taxidermy  |  Topic: Article on gator hunting « previous next »