Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2014, 09:53:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1598197 Posts in 188445 Topics by 42680 Members
Latest Member: haule66
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Sewing short haired animals « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sewing short haired animals  (Read 1282 times)
jamie11
Silver Member

« on: May 16, 2012, 09:51:51 AM »

I was wondering if anyone uses or has used fishing line for sewing up short haired animals
MLP
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 03:00:15 PM »

Spider wire fishing line works great.  Very thin and very strong.  The normal filament type is stiffer and will stretch, I tried it once and, personally, I didn't like it.

I do very much believe we are to hate sin and love the sinner. We just need to also understand that the sin I hate the most should be my own and the sinner I love the most should be the one who has sinned against me.
unc
Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 08:04:20 AM »

X2 on the spiderwire. You can fray the end and pull it apart giving you thin strong threads, that's great for sewing skinning and fleshing cuts
jamie11
Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 12:28:53 PM »

Thanks guys, how about thin skinned animals? Will it pull the stitches out as it drys? I have a fox in the shop now I'm getting ready to mount just want it to turn south I have a good bit of money invested in it. Thanks
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:56:56 PM »

Spiderwire is just too flimsy for my liking.  I use Fireline and I keep weights from 10 to 30 pounds, clear and "smoke" for sewing.  It will NOT stretch but it will cut the hide if you put too much tension on the thread.

As for a short-haired hide - forget it.  Do you or any of your friends have cuts that required stitches?  After they heal, you can stll see the needle punctures or stretch marks for years if not forever. You're simply not going to make stitches that won't show without some serious epoxie and air brush work.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Shannon T.
Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 01:31:14 PM »

x2 on the Fireline! Learned it from George through research on here and I LOVE it! :)
jamie11
Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 07:36:20 PM »

Thanks George. I have lots of Fireline in "smoke" color ill give it a shot
Rick Carter
Forum Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 05:20:44 AM »

Thinning the skin is as important as the thread you use. If that skin is thick the seam will look like crap.

mark c
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 06:28:21 AM »

Well whats the big deal? fire line smoked clear no matter , its never been as hard as taking the plastic niddle point stuff you get at wally world , IT comes in 12x10 sheets,    stich the beast as normal take the plastic sheet cut to your liking over the stiching and pin with T pins close to the stiching wait a couple of weeks and pull the pins out remove the plastic and brush ,, no seam no stretching out no problem ,  warning !!!!!! i dont DP so i cant say it works for that , this method also works on deer at the short cut on anything your steching that you want to lay flat . also works on fox ears  just curve it and cut to your liking  pace one  frount one back us a plastic clothes pin to hold and boom your done , for the fun of it all       the small holes in the plastic allows the air to get to the skin no mold no problems ,   ok now slam me . I got this idea fro RD in one of his demo ideas for fox ears , he was useing door screen  amuninum  sheeting to form the ears . i just took his skills and knollage and reversed it . thanks for the tip RD i also learn a lot from the bird people the do all kinds of things with wire, mark c
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Sewing short haired animals « previous next »