New beetle owner/member!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 05:00:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1573235 Posts in 184673 Topics by 42028 Members
Latest Member: aaronclark12
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: New beetle owner/member! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New beetle owner/member!  (Read 1858 times)
Drawbow

« on: May 16, 2012, 09:26:16 PM »

Hello everyone , I wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for the great information I have read over the last few weeks. I just today received my fist colony (5000). I feel like a a new father all nervous. Hopefully i can post some pictures of my set up in the future.
Just to make sure everything is Ok I would like to ask a few questions:
1. I bought some pet bedding that has backing soda ad dative ? Will this harm the beetles? I did not use  because of not knowing. I used cotton wadding and newspaper.
2. At I placed beetles in the tank at noon with two hot dogs and two paper towels sprayed with water, in the last 9 hours I have not seen many eating or drinking, estimating maybe 100 on only one of the hotdogs. My temp is 79-80 and humidity is around 40percent, I have a exhaust running the entire time. Should they be eating more? Will they take some time to acclimate before they really start to eat? How fast should a colony of 5000  in different stages eat two hot dogs?
Thanks again for all the great info and hopefully someone can subside my nerviosness with answers to my questions. Looking forward to contributing in the future.
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 09:34:27 PM »

I only eat hot dogs at a picnic, and only if I have to.

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
skulley
Gold Member

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 10:07:15 PM »

lol   now thats funny.   dont worry, the children will start eating soon enough.

you said it would only hurt a litlle!!
fogbound
Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 10:31:03 PM »

They will settle down and adjust to new setting in a day or so.  I don't think the baking soda will hurt, but I'd put a small amt of beetles in a seperate container with beddding overnight and just see.  If all is well, bedding should be fine. 
Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 10:48:20 PM »

I use shredded newspaper. Also not sure about the baking soda but you might want to test it first as Fogbound said. Might be ok for the adult beetles but harm larva or eggs. I have a document shredder so I dump it once in a while and just run newspaper through it. Give them time to settle and maybe start with one hot dog, cut in half lengthwise. Set it on a piece of cardboard so it doesn't get into the bedding. I do the same thing with skulls. set them on cardboard which is on top of the bedding.

Guus
Gold Member

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 02:50:58 AM »

I use no bedding at all, the frass builds up quickly enough to provide a layer where they can pupate and take it easy if they want to. I once tried a hot dog in the beginning, but I found it worthless, they eat meat and fat, not all the crap that's put in a hot dog. Get scraps while butchering deer or any other animal, my beetles eat moose all year round if they need other food than small skeletons.

Guus
Gold Member

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 02:51:29 AM »

Oh, and welcome here!  :)

Drawbow

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 06:54:09 AM »

Thank you for all the replys. I do have some prepared meat ready to give them, I think after work today I will give that to them.
coop1212
Gold Member

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 09:21:30 AM »

I like my temp alittle hotter around 85 . For some reason when I start a colony. Fish does the best for me. Only small peices at a time.stinks bad when I gets old. Welcome to the forum and as long as your don't get your feelings hurt easy,  you will be fine.

COOPER
skulley
Gold Member

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 09:47:40 PM »

yep, fish works good for starting out.   my favorite for the hatchlings is brains. anyone know where i could find a brain?   :D

you said it would only hurt a litlle!!
lizardguts
Platinum Member

skull collector

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 10:12:31 PM »

yep, fish works good for starting out.   my favorite for the hatchlings is brains. anyone know where i could find a brain?   :D

A nice fresh skull and a spoon? =D
Call me Robert
Silver Member

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 04:03:02 AM »

A nice fresh skull and a spoon? =D

Don't forget to clean that spoon before you use it again. ;D
There are many unused brain's walking on the streets. Just ask anybody and You will find your brain!
mike98
Bronze Member

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 11:56:18 AM »

I use no bedding at all, the frass builds up quickly enough to provide a layer where they can pupate and take it easy if they want to. I once tried a hot dog in the beginning, but I found it worthless, they eat meat and fat, not all the crap that's put in a hot dog. Get scraps while butchering deer or any other animal, my beetles eat moose all year round if they need other food than small skeletons.

I don't use substrate either.

Welcome to the forum!
Drawbow

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 05:14:20 PM »

Thank you everyone. I am a week with the beetles and I am starting to feel better, I gave them a fox skull on Sunday and they are just finishing it up. There is a little brain left that I did not get out. A question I have is should I put another skull in while they are finishing the first, or let them finish the first one?

Another question I took notice to is in the last day I took notice to a bunch that have bored into the foam blocks and do not seem real active, are they getting ready to change into beetles?

I sure am enjoying the new addition. Family photos are scheduled this weekend!
mike98
Bronze Member

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 03:09:21 PM »

They are turning into pupae.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: New beetle owner/member! « previous next »