how do you make a soft mount? PLEASE HELP!!!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 05:26:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1617445 Posts in 191164 Topics by 43213 Members
Latest Member: abiegler
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: how do you make a soft mount? PLEASE HELP!!! « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: how do you make a soft mount? PLEASE HELP!!!  (Read 1086 times)
Dreamcatcherfawx

« on: May 19, 2012, 04:37:49 PM »

I've been wanting to learn for awhile and I found a tutorial but it didn't have all I needed to know.... so can somebody please give me step by step instructions on how to do it?

Rylee Z\\\'nae
TX Pat

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 09:34:22 AM »

Can you explain a little more, as to what you are referring to, when you say soft mount??? This is a term used for a clean natural looking mount with good hair flow. (my opinion only)    In other words , the skin and hair doesn't look forced into doing something it doesn't want to do. If this is what you are wanting, it will take you a lot of trial and error, and you'll get better with experience. Most Beginners over stuff , or over stretch, trying to size upward, bigger is better mentality. I don't think a tutorial is gonna put you instantly there?? That is unless your referring to something completely different that what I'm talking about??
MLP
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 10:44:11 AM »

If I understand what you're referring to, it is basically a pillow or "teddy bear" type of thing.  I would assume the head would be mounted very similarly to a normal mount using a change out head or rug shell, then the hide is stuffed with some sort of soft material and sewn up.  I have seen them but have never done one, nor do I have much interest in doing so.  You would need to have a dry tanned skin to work with as any other type of preserved hide or wet-tan will dry out hard.  1) send out the hide to be dry tanned (soft, oiled leather, with hair still on) 
2) Look for tutorials (there are videos on youtube) on mounting a rug to see the process for mounting the head.  3) choose a soft material for filler and sew up the skin adding filler as you go.  Those are the steps to follow for what I think you are referring to.

I do very much believe we are to hate sin and love the sinner. We just need to also understand that the sin I hate the most should be my own and the sinner I love the most should be the one who has sinned against me.
PLTannery
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 10:52:04 AM »

I believe it would be easier for you to ask a specific set of questions, not answered by your tutorial, instead of taking hours to type up a step by step that duplicates most of the info in your tutorial.

TX Pat-  A soft mount is an animal with a traditionally mounted head, and a soft stuffed body.  Kinda the ultimate in teddy bears.

Your Source for quality Taxidermy Specimens, Plushables, Buckskin, Crafters supplies, Skulls and Antlers.
Offering Custom Tanning services and more.

Promise Land Tannery
228 Cameron Lake Loop Road
Okanogan, WA 98840
(509) 422-3814
www.promiselandranch.net
lizardguts
Platinum Member

skull collector

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 09:47:02 PM »

This website is for proper taxidermy, not making glorified pillow pets. I assume you have no interest in the former, as is usual among you people
grygon
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 11:26:42 PM »

Doesn't this question get asked about once a month or so?  Maybe someone should sticky one of the netter threads. 
TX Pat

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:22:47 AM »

I believe it would be easier for you to ask a specific set of questions, not answered by your tutorial, instead of taking hours to type up a step by step that duplicates most of the info in your tutorial.

TX Pat-  A soft mount is an animal with a traditionally mounted head, and a soft stuffed body.  Kinda the ultimate in teddy bears.
   PL ( My Bad) Iv'e heard that exspression used in relation to traditional Taxidermy though.
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 11:13:19 PM »

TX Pat-  A soft mount is an animal with a traditionally mounted head, and a soft stuffed body.  Kinda the ultimate in teddy bears.
  PL ( My Bad) Iv'e heard that exspression used in relation to traditional Taxidermy though.

TX Pat, you are correct, the ORIGINAL soft mount is a mount that has a nice finish, blended very well as to not be harsh in appearance. A nice and soft finish will keep the presentation on the mount pleasing to look at, it is what show judges look for.
How and when the new teeny bop pillow stuffers crowd stole the soft tag nobody knows.

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: how do you make a soft mount? PLEASE HELP!!! « previous next »