Mountain Lion Lips
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 11:03:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1619633 Posts in 191516 Topics by 43283 Members
Latest Member: Jameson
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Mountain Lion Lips « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Mountain Lion Lips  (Read 5079 times)
Sekar

« on: May 21, 2012, 10:05:52 PM »

So I'm nearing the finishing point on my first taxidermy, a mountain lion.  Just finished all the sewing today, but tomorrow I'd like to go in and start the detail work on his face.  I'm not sure what to do about his lips, however.  As they've been drying, they've started to obtain a sort of whitish color.  Would you suggest a specific type of paint (oils?) to recolor it back to black?  Also, what would you suggest using to give it a sort of wet, glossy sheen to it?  I've heard someone suggest clear nailpolish, but would that actually work?  

Additionally, I would really appreciate some finishing tips pf any sort for around the eyes.  I'd going to be doing the final shaping and gluing of his eyes within the next few days (he's wet tanned, so I've been keeping him wet and flexible until I finally decide exactly what to do with his facial expression).

Many thanks!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 12:35:36 PM by Sekar » Logged
Wild Heritage
Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 12:12:31 AM »

Can you post pictures of what you've done so far? Maybe with pictures we can give you more advice....

Preserve Your Hunting Heritage
Heck
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 12:27:18 AM »

Is this for yourself or a customer?

There is a fine line between confidence and cockyness!
mark c
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:51:20 AM »

get some referance potos  look at the cat make adjustments   as far as finishimg  get the skin around the eyes and mouth tucked and done , the wait untill his is DRY  dont worry about the white  use laqure paint for the details  and if you have done a bobcat you have done a moutain lyon cats are cats  , let it dry and the epoxy  and paint   have fun  mark c
Hammer
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 06:41:22 PM »

Damn a mountain lion on your first taxidermy project, you are a brave soul. Many people start at the bottom with tree rats, deer and other small game that are easily replaceable when you screw it up. But you my friend went straight to the top. Years from now you will look back on it and say what the hell was I thinking. As I do everytime I look at my first Squirrel. Anyhow good luck and look at reference pictures and look at all the past posts on here and you will learn alot.
Richard B
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 07:37:45 PM »

You are in possession of a Mountain Lion in Santa Rosa California  :o  :o  :o
Randy Miller
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 07:46:08 PM »

There's a waste.
vandy81
Bronze Member

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 10:17:49 PM »

I bit my tongue when I read this last night     Poor cat.....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Woods n' Water Taxidermy
St. Croix Falls Wi
Heck
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 01:17:03 AM »

You are in possession of a Mountain Lion in Santa Rosa California  :o  :o  :o

That's what I was getting at!! Lol

There is a fine line between confidence and cockyness!
boarhunter67
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 10:46:52 AM »

It truely sounds like you're way in over your head.  Nail polish, really?  You can't do detail work if you just finished sewing.  By detail work, I think you mean the INITIAL shaping of the eyes and facial features.  The detail work comes a couple of weeks later after it's dry and you start doing the apoxy work and paint.  I'm curious how you came into posession of a mountain lion cape since they are illegal to hunt in CA and until very recently illegal to even posess or bring in from out of state.  Also, did you tan this yourself or send it to a tannery?  Did you do clay work around the eyes before putting the hide on?  Forgive me for being blunt when I say you could be the most talented person out there and this being your first mount, it won't come out any better than amateurish.  If this is legal, you owe it to yourself to have it done professionally since having one legally in CA is next to impossible and a once in a lifetime event.  If you have all the tags and permits, take it to a professional taxidermists ASAP, unless you don't care how it looks when you are finished and just want the experience of mounting one.  If you're going to continue mounting yourself, post pictures on here so you can get some pointers as to what needs adjusting.
kendall1987
Silver Member

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 01:07:21 PM »

please post a picture Id love to see it
Randy Miller
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 04:14:49 PM »

He/she, through this thread, probably just found out it's illegal and is now ducking for cover!
boarhunter67
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 04:40:20 PM »

He/she, through this thread, probably just found out it's illegal and is now ducking for cover!
  Just this year quite a few things happened relating to mountain lions here in CA.  First, the law changed allowing mountain lions legally taken out of state to be brought into the state.  Second, DFG released a report that said there are 50% less deer in CA than 20 years ago and attributed the drop to mountain lions.  Third, the DFG commissioner went on a legal hunt with hounds out of state and shot a mountain lion.  The lefties tried to get him fired even though what he did was perfectly legal AND ethical.  Since they couldn't get him fired, they are trying to pass a revenge bill outlawing hound hunting here in CA as retributation.  It IS possible he has the lion legally, but as I said, it would be so rare to get one, why chance it by having someone with no experience try to mount it?
vandy81
Bronze Member

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 04:46:02 PM »

::)

Woods n' Water Taxidermy
St. Croix Falls Wi
Randy Miller
Platinum Member

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 05:25:51 PM »

::)

Quit braggin'!!  LOL!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Mountain Lion Lips « previous next »