Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2014, 11:22:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1603770 Posts in 189157 Topics by 42814 Members
Latest Member: Jyoung1780
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Molding and Casting  |  Topic: Mold Clamps « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mold Clamps  (Read 6719 times)
Brett D
Silver Member

« on: May 22, 2012, 03:09:42 AM »

Any information would be great. I have several fiberglass molds of turkey bodies and such and was just wondering what types of mold clamps work the best for those of you that have poured foam bodies of this size. We have used a variety of different clamps and would like to find something better or quicker than what we are currently using. We are using C-clamps now and that may be the best but I thought I would throw this out there to see if someone had a better idea. Those c-clamps take a while to put on and add alot of extra weight.

Thanks

Boondocks Taxidermy

www.turkeyheads.net
proof
Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 07:07:30 AM »

I just bolt all of mine. It takes some time but will not come apart.

http://www.arizonawingstaxidermy.com
Bird Taxidermy For Sale
Doug Bridges
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 10:50:41 AM »

Brett,
I have some clamps that I bought from HomeDepot. They are Irwin quick grip in the 4" size. They are fast to put on and take off. But they seem to lack some clamping force that you might get from the C clamps. But use enough and not a worry. I would give them a 7 out of 10. You will also need a flat clamping surface is one thing I found.

I think the best is the bolt method. Through the flange, no slipping and a good amount of clamping force. I have found wing nuts to work pretty good too. Or a drill with a socket driver to run bolts down fast.

Doug Bridges
The Village Taxidermist
www.villagetaxidermist.com
I sell Smooth-On Products and S&S Fleshing Machines
Mold Making and Casting Services for Taxidermists and Beyond!
Brett D
Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 04:04:11 PM »

Thanks Guys

I have tried both methods and I agree. The bolts with the wingnuts seem to be the best overall as for time and strengh. I guess there is just not a quick method out there. I have found that the flat surface on the flange is a must as well. Thanks for the input and keep the ideas coming Im sure there is a way out there that will be better and quicker I only hope someone lets us in on it.

Thanks again

Brett

Boondocks Taxidermy

www.turkeyheads.net
Doug Bridges
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 08:28:11 AM »

Brett,
I guess if you are looking for a high production clamping solution, you could have a clamping jig designed that would work with pneumatics. Place the mold in, hit the buttons and the unit clamps the mold together. Pour the mold and let set. Hit the buttons to release the clamping jig. Of course, you will have design and build costs, but the speed and time gained in your process may be worth it. You would also need to look at your molds and consider making molds with consistent flange dimensions. That would be high production stuff.

Doug Bridges
The Village Taxidermist
www.villagetaxidermist.com
I sell Smooth-On Products and S&S Fleshing Machines
Mold Making and Casting Services for Taxidermists and Beyond!
Aaron Stehling
Platinum Member

Stehling's Taxidermy

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 08:47:39 AM »

I have used bolts with wing nuts in the past. It is better then c clamps but you can occasionally get stuck bolts from foam that migrates into the flanges. I always put a little oil on the bolts. It really helps to get the foam off.

Stehling's Taxidermy LLC
N 4027 Hwy N
Jefferson, WI 53549
Main Office  920.674.3724

www.stehlingstaxidermy.com

ljones
Platinum Member

1994 WASCO award winner

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 12:51:43 PM »

these work good for me as mold clamps ,  they work like vise grips  , i have no idea where to get them now days i have had mine a long time, surely someone still makes them though

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:10:07 PM by ljones » Logged

[IMG]http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/
Brett D
Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 04:31:09 PM »

Thanks greatly for the advise and I might just check into making a mold holder. That would be sweet. Those clamps you have look old but I think they would work great if I could find some like that.

Brett

Boondocks Taxidermy

www.turkeyheads.net
ljones
Platinum Member

1994 WASCO award winner

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 05:29:17 PM »

Thanks greatly for the advise and I might just check into making a mold holder. That would be sweet. Those clamps you have look old but I think they would work great if I could find some like that.

Brett

yes they are old but work great, my dad had these clamps before me, he was a tool and die maker they may still be used in that trade

[IMG]http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/
Doug A
Silver Member

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 08:47:15 PM »

Brett, I use welding tongs. They have a vice grip type clamp and a double pressure point at the working end. If you need a pic I can send one.
Rick Carter
Forum Moderator

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 07:28:45 AM »

vice grip welders clamps

NOAH@aarrkk
Gold Member

Like to swap fish blanks? E-mail me.

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 08:52:34 PM »

I use a few spring clamps to hold the mold halves together quickly and then use C-clamps to give a nice firm hold.

We 'NOAH' the creatures & the Creator!  Jerry
Jim B
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 06:10:02 PM »

On a 2 piece mold with fairly flat flanges,duck billed vice grips.
http://www.superiorroofingequipment.com/store/popup_image.php?pID=232&image=0
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Molding and Casting  |  Topic: Mold Clamps « previous next »