????Fish painting stand????
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 19, 2014, 11:31:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1631921 Posts in 193625 Topics by 43719 Members
Latest Member: jws outdoors
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: ????Fish painting stand???? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: ????Fish painting stand????  (Read 5205 times)
Beltonbanger
Bronze Member

« on: May 24, 2012, 06:50:25 AM »

What are you guys using?? I have a in. threaded rod sticking out of a vice, but really wanted a stand that I can walk around next to the bench. ESPECIALLY for glossing. Sometimes I could hold the fish for painting, but not glossing for sure!

Will this smell EVER come off my hands???
Bill Muntz
JUST FISH
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 07:31:17 AM »

I use the fish on a stick method with a vice. What do you use for gloss?? What keeps you from holding the fish while glossing. I do it all the time. Put on respirator, grab fish on stick and head for an open door or window. I use aerosol  for gloss.

roundyracer
Silver Member

been to the mountain and seen the elephant.usmc 68

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 08:27:32 AM »

Do you have  access to a welder?If so check out some of the suppliers catologs.If you or someone you know welds really simple to make your on by reference.Either floor or table top.For fish only just make build with light materials.If you are limited to materials and welder Van Dykes sells them for fish and other mounts.Useing the stick method as stated I also have some I built for pennies.PM me and Ill be glad to try and help.If you are going to graduate to shoulder mounts eventually the floor models are adaptable for most any work.Working in a plant were welding and presses are plenty is a advantage hint hint.Just get the bosses permission.I used to have one I made when I was in the work force that was pro painted with a tray,light weight and all my adversaries wanted to buy.She got it in the divorce and I miss my stand.
boarhunter67
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 05:18:01 PM »

I have a few 2x6x12's with two 6" screws driven through.  Then I sharpen the tips of the screws and paint fiberglass resin on the back to make sure they don't back out. 
countryguy1982

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:16:31 PM »

i took some 1x4's  n ripped them with a tablesaw... about 2 ft each in length... in the center at the very top mounted a 1 inch piece of pvc pipe to them thats about an 2 inches long. used a 1 inch paddle bit and recessed it justa bit so that the pipe would fit into it... epoxied it in...... and inside the  pvc .. drilled a few screw holes.....  mounted the bottom of the  1x to a chunk of 6x6....    saw a pic of one done by a guy named jimmy bird on google images ...had a bluegill on one. ...... sounds kinda complicated..... but it was so easy even a caveman can do it....wouldn't work for big fish wouldn't think.but all of your smaller stuff it did real good.
Driftless
Gold Member

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 08:44:48 PM »

I had bought a couple bench mounted stands for deer off eBay.  I took one of them and mounted on my painting work bench.  The bracket that I normally mount to deer forms was used to attach a 10" x 15" piece of 1/2 " plywood.  I put a wood screw in the upper center of the plywood to hang fish on.  The stand tilts up and down.  I keep it tilted upward about 20 degrees.  However, I do most of painting while holding fish using small wood block screwed to back of fish.  The stand is for detail work.  I always wear glove on the hand that I'm holding fish with - same with glossing.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Happy, Happy, Happy.
woakley144

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 10:11:30 PM »

I had a welding shop make my mounting stand, and used the holder that I use on my shoulder mounts,  but I couldn't get on the back side to paint, so,  I went back to the welding shop and had a holder made with a smaller face to screw to the form.  works great now,  I can get to all sides and angles of my fish mounts.
roundyracer
Silver Member

been to the mountain and seen the elephant.usmc 68

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 05:42:06 AM »

I had a welding shop make my mounting stand, and used the holder that I use on my shoulder mounts,  but I couldn't get on the back side to paint, so,  I went back to the welding shop and had a holder made with a smaller face to screw to the form.  works great now,  I can get to all sides and angles of my fish mounts.
  Thats what Im talking about.Good discription.
boarhunter67
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 09:50:24 AM »

Countryguy, why start with 1x instead of just using your paddle bit in the larger wood to begin with?
MichaelG
Silver Member

TRAINEE

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 01:25:22 PM »

I came across this link a while back. I haven"t made it yet though.

http://www.fishcarver.com/eds_fish_painting_stand.htm

Mike
boarhunter67
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 04:25:43 PM »

I came across this link a while back. I haven"t made it yet though.

http://www.fishcarver.com/eds_fish_painting_stand.htm
I actually printed out the supply list and went to Dome Depot with the intention of making one, but it was going to cost between $30-$40.  I decided I could get by with my getto stands.
Beltonbanger
Bronze Member

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 08:16:19 PM »

WOW....thanks for the replies!!!! I didn't want to use one of my mount stands, I wanted to build a cheap little stand that I could move around pretty easy. So after the first posts I built a little wooden deal with several spots to place a fish.......BUT then MichaelG posted the handy little gooseneck so I ran to Home Depot and in 5 minutes had everything I needed to make an attachment to my new stand!!! I'll get some pictures in a few!!!

Bill Muntz
Beltonbanger
Bronze Member

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 08:44:04 PM »

Bill Muntz
MichaelG
Silver Member

TRAINEE

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 09:01:39 PM »

Thanks for posting the pictures.  It looks simple enough to make and easy to modify.

Mike
RAS
Bronze Member

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »

I made one of those but after a few bends back and forth the copper will crack and become to weak;  anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: ????Fish painting stand???? « previous next »