First fish Please criticize 18lb Rainbow
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2014, 08:56:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1624661 Posts in 192376 Topics by 43475 Members
Latest Member: msneath
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: First fish Please criticize 18lb Rainbow « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: First fish Please criticize 18lb Rainbow  (Read 3365 times)
Last Step

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 12:53:40 PM »

Big Country,
You haven't seen many rainbows from Alaska I would guess.
They are spotted everwhere.
Nice fish for your first.
Dan
live2fish311

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 02:20:59 PM »

What makes the head look like a brown trout? It looked exactly like the head on the fish because it was casted from the fish, Just CURIOUS maybe it's something I'm not seeing does anyone else see it?
kikkertinz
Platinum Member

Glass half full

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 02:38:13 PM »

Since when the hell do rainbows only have spots in certain places??
Monty Artrip
Platinum Member

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 03:18:32 PM »

Since when the hell do rainbows only have spots in certain places??
   You are right.There are many strains of rainbows, a 118 if I remember correctly, and spot patterns as well as other generalities can vary greatly. I have seen quite a few such as the one Steve posted completely covered with spots. That being said, a good many have a 'window' in the area of the stripe that is void of spots. Also, some seem to be concentrated heaviest toward the front and back of the fish. Along with that thought, the stripe as you know varies greatly in coloration but is normally the widest as the widest portion of the fish (tall point just forward of dorsal). It also usually fades and teminates before reaching the front and back of the fish. These once again are generalities and there are exceptions to every fish, and I have definately learned to never say never.
     Back to the fish. Overall very good, and a great start. The biggest things that stick out (no pun intended) are the fins are flagged (pulled away from the body). Get the trailing edges in close to the body for a more natural look. Also the head positioning appears to be cocked up at too great an angle and the cilethrium appear to be positioned too far back. Also look at the profile of the fish, the adipose should have a slight raise going into the front of it as well as a slight drop going into the caudal pundacle area. These are just some of the more obvious but still quite an accomplilshment for your first fish. The smaller details will fall into place as you study your reference.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 06:36:44 PM by Monty Artrip » Logged
live2fish311

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 12:30:02 AM »

thanks for the feedback, I'd never be able to pick up on that stuff on my own. thank you for the criticisms!
Randy Miller
Platinum Member

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 08:18:40 AM »

Please criticize, hand carved body with a cast head. I really didn't figure the spots out until the last 20 or so.

Is the eye in backwards? Looks like the narrow end is pointing toward the back of the fish and not forward. May just be the pic. Still good fish for a first!
Perca
Platinum Member

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 08:49:12 AM »

Fish often, leave the barbs on, keep some to eat or mount, and apologize to no one.
live2fish311

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 12:12:16 PM »

No eye is not back wards.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
brigham boy
Gold Member

"if it's horny, mount it"

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 02:14:22 PM »

Very nice.. I have a 20lb rainbow I have to do and I hope it looks as good as yours.  I am going to practice on a bunch of small ones first.

"live in the moment."
Zimmie
Bronze Member

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 08:07:30 PM »

Rick Krane has a video on painting a Rainbow Trout that I just got.  The amount of detail he puts into a fish is amazing.  I have a RBT to do some repair work on and repaint.  I am looking forward to getting started.  I'll try and post pics when done.  By the way, nice job on your fish.
boarhunter67
Platinum Member

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 01:07:46 AM »

Really good for your first fish as many have mentioned.  What stands out to me most is three things: 1st, the dorsal fin usually sweeps back more rather than sticking up so much.  Second the stripe.  I was taught it is thicker in the middle and tapers thinner at the ends.  It may be the picture, but yours looks thick the whole way.  Third, the spots.  All the trout I've seen have two patterns.  They have very little or at least a lot less spots in the stripe than above, and many around here do not have any spots below the stripe behind the pectoral fins until the anal fin.  Some around here have lots of spots, but not where the colored stripe is.  There I always see a lot fewer if any spots.  This is just for my region, but your spots look very even and non random somehow.  Either the shape, grouping, or sizes stand out.  Maybe it's because the outer edges aren't very crisp.  I'm not sure, but something about them doesn't look natural.  Just look at reference pictures next time and you'll continue to improve.  For a first fish, you have a lot of good things going for you.
den007
Platinum Member

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 10:24:37 AM »

Great first fish, and a very ambitious project for a first fish! I will agree with Monty on what he said for improvements. You are doing a lot right. About that background......I think I saw Devil l Anse Hatfield peeking around the corner. Be careful! LOL

Dennis Murawska
Angler's Art Taxidermy
"To live is not necessary...
To fish is necessary."   Latin inscription
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: First fish Please criticize 18lb Rainbow « previous next »