Might as well put me down.....
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 02:30:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1632646 Posts in 193759 Topics by 43745 Members
Latest Member: mirageroland
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Might as well put me down..... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Might as well put me down.....  (Read 2791 times)
DocEsox
Bronze Member

« on: June 02, 2012, 03:05:09 AM »

Down to finger typing due to this lovely thing on my right arm:

Had surgery on my right forearm for what amounts to severe chronic "flyfishing" (tennis is most other places) elbow.....just got out of a 2 week cast, have 8 weeks of the above critter and then at least 4 weeks of rehab before the doc says I can touch a fishing rod.......just shoot me now!!  :'(  Fished a week before the surgery just to be sure.....and yup, by the 2nd dolly I was crying.....by the 20th I was shaking from the pain.....guess I could have put the rod down but that never entered my mind at the time.....just stuck the elbow in the 40 degree water every so often to numb it up.

Anyway I do have a taxidermy question and quandry.......so many just say when you catch a really nice fish to just release it too as you can always get a replica.  True....BUT you can't always get one that has the same dimensions, or because it have unique length to girth issues....very aggravating.  I have been wanting to get a replica of a beautiful butterfly peacock I can several years ago in the Miami area.......

Fish was a bit under 8 pounds but you can see he was fatter than most pigs...measurements were 22" X 17".......haven't been able to find a blank very close to those measurements.....but then I am not a taxidermist...just a wannabe.  What do you do for someone if you can't get something real close?

That's why I smacked a 4 lbs white bass on the head in the spring so DougP could give me a nice skin mount....

Brian....BTW finger typing sucks.....
JE
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 03:29:31 AM »

That Sucks Doc, I hope you get to fly fish again sooner than later. You could always try left handed ?
As for finger typing, that's all I know. LOL
John

Perca
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 06:52:06 AM »

That's just one reason why I am a strong advocate of skin mounts. Unless a fisherman gets his own fish molded and cast, he will be buying and displaying a fish that someone else caught!!.  IMO you made a very wise decision to have a skin mount of that white bass done by DougP.  ;)

Fish often, leave the barbs on, keep some to eat or mount, and apologize to no one.
Sikk
Gold Member

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 04:58:29 PM »

Wow Doc, my heart goes out to you. I fight the same injury, but not any where near that severe. Star fish has a 22" 7.5 # blank. no girth given. you may want to give them a call for more info. paul
Rick Krane
Platinum Member

Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 05:43:09 PM »

To many wonderful beautiful gorgeous fish on the end of your lines! I have seen this before! Please get well soon!!!!

Rick

Join us for Anglers Artistry's Big Announcement! Click the Banner for more information:

www.anglersartistry.com/store/
Please like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Rick.Krane.Anglers.Artistry
FishArt
Platinum Member

Marty & Son Cass Lake Minnesota

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 09:35:49 PM »

Doc, I'm in the same boat as you. In the last year I've been through two cortizone shots and then an experimental platelette injection about 6 weeks ago (would not recommend, very, very painful!) I've been doing therapy since then and have it for three more weeks before I'll either be on the mends or at that point they'll do surgery (and then three MORE months of therapy after that). The therapy and specifically the deep tissue massages are brutal. I can handle pain - I've had a root canal with no numbing whatsoever and this stuff is worse. Such a frustrating, stupid injury! I've been out of work for three months now. I guess if they go in and shave the tendon I'll do a splint for a week and then the three months of therapy (again). But, doc says that the surgery/therapy WILL do the trick if it comes to that. I just hope I'm good enough for this coming deer season - lol!

"FishArt"
Marty Shimkus
Fish Specialties Taxidermy
Shorewood, Illinois
www.FishSpecialties.NET
DocEsox
Bronze Member

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 09:44:13 PM »

I feel for you FishArt....it is just so aggravating but makes certain uses of your arm so painful (guess I don't have to strike every fish like its a marlin.... ;D)....wish you the best.  BTW the surgery is highly successful when the other modalities haven't helped out....still hate being married to this full arm splint for another 8 weeeks.

Brian
FishArt
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 10:15:21 PM »

I feel for you FishArt....it is just so aggravating but makes certain uses of your arm so painful (guess I don't have to strike every fish like its a marlin.... ;D)....wish you the best.  BTW the surgery is highly successful when the other modalities haven't helped out....still hate being married to this full arm splint for another 8 weeeks.

Brian

Must be a slightly different injury. I just have it on the outer elbow. (Do you have it on outer and inner?) At one point I couldn't lift my cup of coffee without pain unless my arm was tight to my body. I'll only have to do the splint for a week if I opt for the surgery. I feel sorry for you -8 weeks, yikes! After the platelette injection I basically had no use of my right arm for nearly two weeks and that SUCKED! Some things I just had to learn how to do with my left hand (if you know what I mean - lol!) I thought being on crutches sucked. It's not until you have no use of your dominant arm when you realize what little you can do!!!! A very, very frustrating injury that's for sure! Good luck!!!

"FishArt"
Marty Shimkus
Shorewood, Illinois
www.FishSpecialties.NET
Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 12:11:48 AM »

Have you guys ever seen anything like this?  

I ruptured a bursae sack in my elbow last summer cutting galvanized pier posts and tightening bolts as I adjusted pier heights. It even made almost my entire fore arm black and blue which puzzled my doctor.  When your doctor says, "My that's very interesting. I've never seen that before," when observing all the bruising it kind of makes one nervous.  ;D

Fortunately it didn't hurt as bad as it looks and I was able to get back to normal in a few weeks.  

My biggest fear is dying and my wife selling all of my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it.
DocEsox
Bronze Member

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 12:21:49 AM »

I'm thinking there's an alien growing in there.....ouch   :-*
antlerman
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 12:32:36 AM »

Elbow may look a little abnormal, not sure...but that hair is definitely abnormal. Ken Walker.....I think I've spotted a Big Foot.  J/K

Dude, that looks painful on the real side. I once blew out two meniscus discs playing ball. Talk about some gut wrenching pain, but only half as bad as when they ran that needle under my kneecap on four different occasions to drain it. That was so bad that on one of the drainings it cost them a hospital bed as I riped the hand rails of the side of the bed as four interns tried to hold me down so as to not bend or break the needle off while wanting to lock up my leg. Thats a no can do, but try doing it when in that much pain. Almost impossible. Natural reaction is to lock up tight.

Hope you guys all heal up well and get back to doing what it is you do.
FishArt
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 01:11:33 AM »

Gnarly Cecil! My elbow looked like that BRIEFLY when the doc injected the cortisone. I wasn't looking but my oldest boy was with me and I saw his eyes get big so I looked over. It looked like a golf ball under my skin. A minute later he rubbed the stuff around and it looked nearly normal. Pretty freaky looking though for that brief period. My boy was in killing two birds getting his knee drained from a torn meniscus/surgery. He's back to normal. Us older farts take forever to heal and then you injure something else - lol!

"FishArt"
Marty Shimkus
Shorewood, Illinois
www.FishSpecialties.NET
MichaelG
Silver Member

TRAINEE

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 06:39:59 AM »

Get'n old sucks!  I started getting those pains in my right arm a few months ago.  It's not bad throughout the day as long as I stay busy but real darn painfull when I flyfish or play softball.  What are some of the therapies they have you do? 

Mike
Ken's Fish
Bronze Member

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 09:17:39 AM »

Oh My...this is getting ugly!!!
You guys get on the mend so you can get back to that fishy stuff.

Ken
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:13:01 PM by Ken's Fish » Logged

roundyracer
Silver Member

been to the mountain and seen the elephant.usmc 68

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 09:33:31 AM »

So glad I attend these fish post.I learn so much.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Might as well put me down..... « previous next »