Turkey of the Month "June"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 09:36:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1616939 Posts in 191092 Topics by 43198 Members
Latest Member: timsumted
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Turkey of the Month "June" « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Turkey of the Month "June"  (Read 4093 times)
Brett D
Silver Member

« on: June 06, 2012, 12:56:04 PM »

Well another season has come and gone. I have heard mixed results from all around the country and for the most part the season was about a month ahead of schedule. It was an unusually warm winter with little or no snow in the areas that normally get alot and in the south it was just hot all winter. Our season in Kentucky was just about over before it started. It is always something and for the most part this year was no different. Everyone I have talked to is down for the most part but some that I have talked to have taken in more than they ever have. Even when this happens people seem to kill them anyway. We had a slow start but they seem to just keep coming in. I think we will end up with about our normal numbers but it has just been slower than usual. The economy may have something to do with this as well. For alot of the people I have talked to this will help them get caught up on other work so it may not be a bad thing. Last month was slow for posting pictures of turkeys and I hope you guys will get some mounted and post some pictures of your work. I love seeing everyones work on here and I hope this is a good month for pictures. I will start this month off with a bird that was mounted by a student here in my shop. The person that mounted this is a local guy that I taught over a three day class last month. His name is Rodney Nace and I think he will be very good with birds he had messed around with a couple of birds before he took a class with me and he has alot of talent. I think he did a very good job on this bird and I would be okay with giving it to one of my customers.

Lets get this started and I hope you all had a good year with turkeys and try to post us a picture to see your work

Brett and Terri D

* student bird.jpg (62.71 kB, 300x384 - viewed 1348 times.)

Boondocks Taxidermy

www.turkeyheads.net
Aaron Stehling
Platinum Member

Stehling's Taxidermy

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:02:35 AM »

That bird looks nice Brett...he is a lucky student.

Since no one seems to be posting, I will put on a few from the past month.

A few in process:

The customer wanted an aggresive running pose on this one. Hen is in the breeding pose.

28lb WI bird

and a few finished birds

Stehling's Taxidermy LLC
N 4027 Hwy N
Jefferson, WI 53549
Main Office  920.674.3724

www.stehlingstaxidermy.com

DJ II

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:18:08 AM »

Still haven't learned to take good pictures.  Any critiques are welcome.
IDForkHorn
Silver Member

Common sense just isn't that common anymore

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 02:27:42 PM »

Nice Turkeys, really like the pedastel mount and all of the bases, they are nice!!

Thanks Tyler
rnviper3
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 10:47:43 PM »

My numbers were down a little, but not enough to worry about.  I always forget to take pictures before the customers come to pick up.  I love this turkey thread and should contribute more often.  Thanks for keeping it going. 
Bob

jptaxi

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 10:18:43 PM »

my latest almost ready to head home, great work so far this month
buckwounder
Platinum Member

Sometimes you get lucky...

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 01:15:06 AM »

That bird looks nice Brett...he is a lucky student.

Since no one seems to be posting, I will put on a few from the past month.

A few in process:

The customer wanted an aggresive running pose on this one. Hen is in the breeding pose.

28lb WI bird

and a few finished birds

what hen.... ;D

LarryE2576

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 09:29:13 PM »

Just got done with OK taxidermy convention...excellent time and some very good pieces to look at. I took this turkey and got fortunate enough to win state champion bird,NWTF award and McKenzie taxidermist choice best bird. If any of you guys are close next year we would really appreciate ya coming and competing at our show. A very good orginization with a bunch of talent and some pretty stout competition. A big thank u to Brett D. This is one of your bad boy bodies again! :)

* ellisturkey2012.jpg (95.14 kB, 500x700 - viewed 801 times.)
Birds Only
Silver Member

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 11:48:41 AM »

Way to go Larry! Beautiful bird!
ncdeerhunter2002

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 02:44:26 PM »

Nice work, but the hen headis painted wrong,looks too much like a gobbler head. just my 2 cents.
Aaron Stehling
Platinum Member

Stehling's Taxidermy

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 04:12:05 PM »

Nice work, but the hen headis painted wrong,looks too much like a gobbler head. just my 2 cents.

I can agree with that. I normally like to paint them more subdued with much less red, maybe a lighter pink/white/ light blue look. I just followed my clients orders on this one--he wanted a very colorful / excited looking head. I HAVE seen them get pretty colored up when they get startled/ excited in my stock birds though.  I do not like how most people paint them with confederate gray...

As usual , I always appreciate everyones input. My work is always open for critique.

Stehling's Taxidermy LLC
N 4027 Hwy N
Jefferson, WI 53549

spurhunter

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 01:00:28 PM »

Might be getting off topic but thought this worth mentioning.

Last fall through deer season I saw a bearded hen running with a group of toms. There were at least three other flocks of turkeys using this farm, hens with young of the year, a couple of other bearded hens in those flocks as well. This one bearded hen was always with the same group of toms. I finally saw her and the toms one afternoon with all the other hens/poults and confirmed what I thought I was seeing. She has gobbler plumage along with the beard. Now I know this all sounds crazy but I talked with a turkey biologist and he confirmed what I was seeing, a bearded hen with gobbler plumage. I never had heard of it previously but apparently it's possible. I got a bit of video of her late in the season. All I can tell you is it looks like a smaller gobbler but has a hens head, almost no snood, small wattles etc. but......very bright red/blue/white. That mounted hen appears to have black barred chest feathers too.
http://youtu.be/MtVQ_VYHxH4

By the way, I very much enjoy seeing all these great turkey mounts. For a turkey hunter like me this is some more eye candy! Thanks!

Watching, reading and trying to learn. Showing loving affection to turkeys one tom, sometimes two, at a time....
rnviper3
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 04:12:16 PM »

congratulations Larry.  That is one sweet looking bird. 

Aaron Stehling
Platinum Member

Stehling's Taxidermy

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 09:07:21 AM »

Might be getting off topic but thought this worth mentioning.

Last fall through deer season I saw a bearded hen running with a group of toms. There were at least three other flocks of turkeys using this farm, hens with young of the year, a couple of other bearded hens in those flocks as well. This one bearded hen was always with the same group of toms. I finally saw her and the toms one afternoon with all the other hens/poults and confirmed what I thought I was seeing. She has gobbler plumage along with the beard. Now I know this all sounds crazy but I talked with a turkey biologist and he confirmed what I was seeing, a bearded hen with gobbler plumage. I never had heard of it previously but apparently it's possible. I got a bit of video of her late in the season. All I can tell you is it looks like a smaller gobbler but has a hens head, almost no snood, small wattles etc. but......very bright red/blue/white. That mounted hen appears to have black barred chest feathers too.
http://youtu.be/MtVQ_VYHxH4

By the way, I very much enjoy seeing all these great turkey mounts. For a turkey hunter like me this is some more eye candy! Thanks!

Your post validates some of what my client told me. I have done a lot of turkeys for this client, including a couple of other hens. On this particular bird, he was adamant about the colorations being almost identical to a tom. However, I did subdue it a bit  . When I made the delivery and set the scene up, he said my head colorations were exactly as he remembered them when he shot it. Maybe head colorations in bearded hens can vary more then there non bearded counterparts ?

Stehling's Taxidermy LLC
N 4027 Hwy N
Jefferson, WI 53549

spurhunter

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 01:01:15 PM »

Per Dr. Lovett Williams (turkey biologist) a hen with male plumage lacks ovaries and the hormones needed to make her feathers brown. I posted my video for him to watch and he agreed I had filmed a hen with gobbler plumage. I can only guess this abnormality could also cause the head colors to be different too.

Please keep posting pictures of the turkey mounts. Love to see them.

Watching, reading and trying to learn. Showing loving affection to turkeys one tom, sometimes two, at a time....
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Turkey of the Month "June" « previous next »