Mini Flesher ? Pros/cons
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 03:31:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1632521 Posts in 193739 Topics by 43744 Members
Latest Member: neuharth323
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Lifesize Mammals  |  Topic: Mini Flesher ? Pros/cons « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mini Flesher ? Pros/cons  (Read 1432 times)
Reedy

« on: June 07, 2012, 10:47:11 AM »

I am wanting to hear any pros or cons about using a mini flesher. It will be on mostly deer. Thank you.
John Bellucci
Platinum Member

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »

Well, Reedy, I have one of the air powered models, and I really like it.  It is great for cleanup work on faces, the hide around the base of the ears, and especially for evening up or thinning along the seam.

Yes, it takes some time to learn to handle ... as do all powerful tools, such as the full size Rawhide shaving machine I have, but it works very well.  I have used it on raw skins with 'okay' results ... fresh skins are a bit 'stretchy' and I dislike all that raw crap being thrown around.  It works great on pickled skins, and fantastic on tanned skins!

Be sure to wear an large well covering apron, or lab coat, or Butcher's coat, as it does fling debris back against you if you're standing, or into your lap if you're sitting!  I have all three of those items around, and I wear what I need, when I need it. ;)

I still actually enjoy hand fleshing fresh skins with a knife and scissors, but for tanned capes ... I use my Mini Flesher.  It still runs like a champ. ;)

"I think I shall call him ... Mini Flesher!"  Sorry ... had to get that out! LOL! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:39:59 PM by John Bellucci » Logged

Reedy

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 09:01:42 AM »

Thank you John, I was wanting to hear from people that had used one. I have been using a Dakota table model where I was taught and also a beam and fleshing knife. It was a idea to maybe try a mini where my shop is a good size, but the extra room is always nice. Thanks Dave.
John Bellucci
Platinum Member

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 12:24:35 PM »

Glad I was helpful, Dave, you sneaky boy!  You posted the same question in Gameheads, I forgot where I answered (age is creeping in ::)), and smeared egg all over my face! :o  Naughty, naughty!  Now I understand why double posting is frowned upon by the management of this establishment. LOL! ;D

At any rate, yes I still use it, and yes I really do like it, and yes, it takes some getting use to in the beginning,  But seeing as you also learned to use a round knife (shaving/fleshing machine), you can understand this, so I foresee no problems for you learning to use, and using the Mini Flesher.

They come in both air power and electric - to hook up to a Foredom.  I did not have a Foredom system - I'm a Dremel Motor Tool man, myself - I do have a large compressor, so I ordered the air powered unit.

Now ... there is an exhaust of air that is expelled from the hand-piece during use, so I always wear a leather ranch glove when I use it on the hand hand that's holding it.  Just keeps my hand warm, especially in cooler temps!  Also, the unit can be used in either hand, and I frequently switch hands depending on what side of a skin I'm working on.  Again, this is one of those things you will figure out as you use it.

As with the round knife, keep a good tension on the skin as you work ... this keeps it from grabbing the skin the wrong way.  Unlike using the round knife, you can wrap the skin around a shaving beam and use the Mini Flesher! 

One example ... I have an old baseball bat that I adapted as a small, portable shaving beam for Taxidermy.  I can literally wrap the skin around the bat - nice and taught - and flesh away. 

The butt end of the handle was removed and that smaller end ground to a cone shape.  This fits up into the skin of the ear butt area.  Once in place, I pull the skin tight and flesh it nice and even using this tool!

The wider, round end of the bat fits into the muzzle of Deer and many Antelope, and I can then shave these areas thin ... most of the time with a curved paring knife, and then I can do a 'clean up' with the Mini Flesher.

Like I said ... I like it ... I took the time to teach myself to use it ... and it is a successful tool for me.  Like so many things, you have to want to do it, in order to do it right.  And like me - being a user of a round knife - you may come to like it just as much! :) 

Best of luck to you! ;)

Heck
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 12:32:15 PM »

I have the Betcher.....it is electric...absolutely love that thing for bear and elk!!!  I can completely flesh a 6 ft bear, salt ready, in 30 min.
No flying debris...fat and flesh just rolls off.. They cost a bit more, but what is your time worth?? ;)

There is a fine line between confidence and cockyness!
IDForkHorn
Silver Member

Common sense just isn't that common anymore

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 11:01:39 PM »

Hey heck where did you get yours at? Thanks Tyler
Heck
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 12:07:42 AM »

I got mine direct from Betcher..it was like $1300 for everything, hand piece, 6' cable drive, motor, extra blades, steel, sharpening stone....

Michael p had one for sale....don't know if he still has it or not????

There is a fine line between confidence and cockyness!
boarhunter67
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 12:14:23 AM »

I liked my flesh-all mini flesher okay, but it couldn't compare with my Betcher Wizard so I sold it.  I have a Dakota to shave and the Betcher to flesh.  If I didn't have my Betcher, I'd still have my mini-flesher.  If you get one, remove the safety lever.  It wears your thumb out trying to keep pressing it.  Also, keep a bucket of water nearby to clean it when it gums up.  Just stick it in there.  You should be able to flesh a deer in 10-15 minutes.  After pickling, you can shave, but it's gonna be real hard to do as good a job as with a real flesher.  It's a cheap investment and you can always sell it if you don't like it.  They hold their value really well, but like I said, it can't compare to a Betcher Wizard for fleshing. 
michael p.
Platinum Member

Getting better with age :)

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 09:14:02 AM »

I had a Betcher for fleshing, but sold it.  I found that a Mexican is even more efficient than a Betcher.

But if i were to ever go back to fleshing heavy hides again, a Betcher is invaluable.

Spent my whole life lookin' back
 Not lookin' ahead to see
 Trying to keep my feet on track
 Doin' what was expected of me
 Kick my shoes off so they can't trace me
 Leave no forwarding address
 Before they all drive me crazy
 And I leave 'em all in a bloody mess
C.C.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Lifesize Mammals  |  Topic: Mini Flesher ? Pros/cons « previous next »