30" whitetail cape
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 08:58:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1619291 Posts in 191468 Topics by 43273 Members
Latest Member: stainlessmike
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: 30" whitetail cape « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 30" whitetail cape  (Read 2867 times)
Dave Hyer
Gold Member

« on: June 07, 2012, 04:52:13 PM »

I put my 2012 comp mount on ebay because i have no where to put it so I figured why not try to make some money on it.

A guy sent me a message and asked how big the neck was. I told him about 21". he replied and said he has a collection and all his are at least 30" necks at the smallest measurement.

I have never seen a 30" neck in person or the internet or anywhere else.

Have any of you ever seen a real 30" neck, if so where did it come from?

Be careful, the toes you step on today may be attached to the a_s you have to kiss tomorrow!!
tazzymoto
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 05:16:19 PM »

Depends on where they took the measurements, I have had several customers over the years say their deer had 30 + necks but they always measure over the hair and several inches down the neck. so i don't take store in anything i don't measure my self

Jolt
Gold Member

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:05:21 PM »

maybe he was measuring length! lol
Frank E. Kotula
Platinum Member

master, judge, instructor

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 12:35:07 PM »

nope the tape was folded

Frank E. Kotula
http://www.FranksWildlifeStudio.com
one on one classes 570-819-0391
All phases of taxidermy
Jim Tucker
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »

Depends on where they took the measurements, I have had several customers over the years say their deer had 30 + necks but they always measure over the hair and several inches down the neck. so i don't take store in anything i don't measure my self

Some big canadian bucks have such long hair that it can add a HUGE amount of "neck" if you measure over it.

OHIO TAXIDERMISTS ASSOCIATION - www.ohiotaxidermists.com
Heck
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 04:10:56 PM »

I have a Sitka bt that was 27 over the hair, the form was 20...

There is a fine line between confidence and cockyness!
tazzymoto
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 04:26:09 PM »

The largest i have personaly mounted had a 28 inch neck i mounted it on the largest form McKezie carries in an upright wall ped, I'm sure there are deer with 30 inch necks out there but they aren't common around michigan for sure

Dave Hyer
Gold Member

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 07:32:47 PM »

my biggest was a 26". I mounted a deer that grossed 257 last year and it had a 20" neck.

Be careful, the toes you step on today may be attached to the a_s you have to kiss tomorrow!!
John Bellucci
Platinum Member

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 09:51:52 PM »

The Deer from Anticosti Island or Anacostia Island are HUGE ... 30", 31", and 32" necks are not uncommon, in fact they rule!
http://anticostiphotos.com/Hunting08_all.html

Hedhuntr
Gold Member

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 10:09:53 PM »

The Deer from Anticosti Island or Anacostia Island are HUGE ... 30", 31", and 32" necks are not uncommon, in fact they rule!

Weren't the deer stocked there? They look like typical northern Maine/eastern Canadian stumpy racks. I always assumed they were smaller deer because of the limited supply of food and the fact that they ear conifers to survive in the winter. Guess not
John Bellucci
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 12:38:09 AM »

Weren't the deer stocked there? They look like typical northern Maine/eastern Canadian stumpy racks. I always assumed they were smaller deer because of the limited supply of food and the fact that they ear conifers to survive in the winter. Guess not

Nope!  Some of the biggest Deer I have ever worked on came from there.  Big ass Deer! ;D  Those antlers are normal.  They are not fed all kinds of steroids and other antler growth enhancing crap.  I never said they had overly large antlers, just big necks and big bodies.  Their antlers will get thick, and do look proportionately small when on those massive tree trunk looking necks. 

The faces are not overly long, which makes mounting them more challenging.  I mean, a 7" to 7" faces on 30" to 32" necks is ridiculous ... but when they're mounted up, they look sweet!  I recall the first three I ever encountered, we had to order the largest headforms being made at the time from Chandler's and from Chase, and we built a couple of them up!

They may have originally been stocked there, I'm not sure, but they live, thrive, and survive.  And it's an ISLAND ... so, no need for fencing. ;)

DL
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 01:07:32 AM »

This one looks close to that.
Mill Creek Taxidermy (fozzie)
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 09:30:24 PM »

Not quite 30" but easily 9 x 26 x 28 Michigan archery kill , it had a small rack so I got it for stock, cost me $20  ;D

Heath Cline
Platinum Member

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 10:27:12 PM »

Not quite 30" but easily 9 x 26 x 28 Michigan archery kill , it had a small rack so I got it for stock, cost me $20  ;D

I will let you

I will help you triple your money on that. I will give you $60 for it !   LOL

www.buckskintrophyoutfitters.com
Come hunt Ohio Whitetails !!
John Bellucci
Platinum Member

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 10:59:50 PM »

DL, that's a freaking horse with antlers!  Yowzers! :o

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: 30" whitetail cape « previous next »