Deer Hoves
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 06:16:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1619743 Posts in 191535 Topics by 43289 Members
Latest Member: BobnJake
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Deer Hoves « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Deer Hoves  (Read 3058 times)
bmxkid313
Silver Member

« on: June 11, 2012, 08:07:08 PM »

I am articulating some deer legs and I don't know how to preserve the hoof sheaths. How would I go about doing this? I will post pics once I am done. But to finish, I need to know how to do this.
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 09:43:28 PM »

The shields will obviously slip off (they are used as bangles on Native American ceremonial dress). After they dry, put some paste wax on them, buff lightly, and glue on to skeleton.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
cattledog
Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:02:42 AM »

Hey George,Thanks for the reply even though im not the original poster.I had asked almost the same question recently without one reply even after over 100 people had viewed my question.Considering your location,id imagine you'v been to the PowPow in Millsboro.I go every year,its a neat sound those deer hooves make clinking around on the dancers clothing.Anyway,thanks.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 11:12:02 PM by cattledog » Logged

Just takn it a day at a time
Call me Robert
Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 05:07:34 AM »

hooves sheaths are just like any other. They will slip off.
George Roof
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 07:48:24 AM »

Sorry. I never saw the previous postc cattledog. I'm actually a blood brother to the Leni Lanape.  Tbe pow wow is mostly Nanticoke. I haven't been in some time because its so crowded- too crowded for geezers. LOL.

bmxkid313
Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 02:42:38 PM »

I already took them off before I posted. I had them aside since I didn't know why to do with them. I figured they would have to be dried out but I thought it would be more complicated then that.

Cattledog, I know didn't get any repays last time. And because of it I didn't expect anybody to reply to mine. I know exactly what you mean by the little circle on this site. I don't like it either.
George Roof
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 03:01:10 PM »

Look, guys, you can stop that "little circle" $hit right now before you begin to believe your own hype.  That "little circle" has proven to be the core of reams of information that would have cost you a small fortune less than two decades ago.  Most of our "little circle" can't keep up with the average number of posts here in the course of a single day. SOMETIMES an answer is so obvious that I don't even bother reading the post. Some of the things that seem so complex or complicated to you are simply business as usual to many of us. If you know who this "little circle" is, then it's incumbent on YOU to contact them via IM directly if you think they might help you.  Some days my IM box is full of queries from people too embarrassed to ask on the open forum while others, just like you, don't get an answer on the open forum.  Remember, we have no obligation to tell you squat if we don't feel lke it. So when we don't answer, the onus is on you if you truly want to learn.

cattledog
Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 03:13:22 PM »

No worrys George,thanks.Werent the Leni Lanape the original Tribe before the Nanticokes and others split off to form their own tribes?Im not sure.Bmxkid,im not worried about it,I know theirs alot of good people on here too that would be willing to help,may just not have seen the post.Is what it is.So how is the Articulation on the leg coming along?I know to some that would be a simple project but i look forward to tryn it myself,iv never articulated anything,only skulls.Now i guess iv gotta wait till deer season to get a good leg anyway.Post some pics when you can.Ross

Just takn it a day at a time
bmxkid313
Silver Member

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 03:17:46 PM »

Thats what I mean. If the answer is so obvious then you should reply to it. Not everybody is a professional taxidermist who deals with this stuff everyday. A lot of us are still getting started and don't know much yet. Why would you ignore a post and leave another person in the shadows when you could help somebody out? If nobody cm keep up then how come the view counter sky rockets in just the first day of a new thread?

Personnaly, you seem like one of the ring leaders on the site. Even when I joined I saw you assuming that you knew stuff and posting. Then somebody who actually knows a thing or two would come and correct you. Almost 25000 posts and I bet about 1 in 100 are actually somewhat useful.
bmxkid313
Silver Member

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 03:20:25 PM »

No worrys George,thanks.Werent the Leni Lanape the original Tribe before the Nanticokes and others split off to form their own tribes?Im not sure.Bmxkid,im not worried about it,I know theirs alot of good people on here too that would be willing to help,may just not have seen the post.Is what it is.So how is the Articulation on the leg coming along?I know to some that would be a simple project but i look forward to tryn it myself,iv never articulated anything,only skulls.Now i guess iv gotta wait till deer season to get a good leg anyway.Post some pics when you can.Ross

I just put it into maceration satuday so it is not even in the decreasing tank yet. I don't have any pics to post of nothing yet.
George Roof
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 04:19:40 PM »

Cattledog, the Leni Lenape was the native tribe of Delaware.  The Nanticoke were actually from the western shore of the Chesapeake  and northeastern Virginia.  They migrated to the southern tip of the Delmarva.

Bmx, I certainly can't speak for all the others here, but as for me and the majority of those who've been taxidermists for over 40 years, your plight is almost a bit humorous. You see EVERYTHING we know had to be self taught to a large degree.  Every taxidermist has "secrets" that were even kept away from immediate faminly members.  Most of us knew better than to ask for help and I couldn't count the number of shops I was thrown out of for asking those "simple" questions. But we studied biology and physiology and chemistry and deduced what needed to be done. You're just fortunate that you live in an era where you can whine and get sympathy. Where I came from, you would have been SOL.

bmxkid313
Silver Member

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 08:33:53 PM »

Cattledog, the Leni Lenape was the native tribe of Delaware.  The Nanticoke were actually from the western shore of the Chesapeake  and northeastern Virginia.  They migrated to the southern tip of the Delmarva.

Bmx, I certainly can't speak for all the others here, but as for me and the majority of those who've been taxidermists for over 40 years, your plight is almost a bit humorous. You see EVERYTHING we know had to be self taught to a large degree.  Every taxidermist has "secrets" that were even kept away from immediate faminly members.  Most of us knew better than to ask for help and I couldn't count the number of shops I was thrown out of for asking those "simple" questions. But we studied biology and physiology and chemistry and deduced what needed to be done. You're just fortunate that you live in an era where you can whine and get sympathy. Where I came from, you would have been SOL.

I understand that everybody has secrets. But, if you make everybody else learn things that are not secret on their own then they will be miserable and mean, just like you! And then they will do the same to other people when they want help. You see, its a never ending cycle of know-it-all taxidermists. Wouldn't it make you feel good to brake that cycle?

I thought this site was to share information, learn, and become a better taxidermist. Apparently, I was wrong.
George Roof
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 09:39:52 PM »

Bmx, if you're LOOKING to push my bittons, you're close. I've  gone out of my way to help beginners on this site. Even snot nosed smartasses like you, because there are no "secrets". Withholding information is a selfish ego issue that I've never played. What your parents should have taught you is to be careful of biting the hand that feeds you. Regardless of the intentions of this site, the "sharing of information" depends on a "miserable and mean" old man like me deciding if you're worthy of the effort for me to enlighten you. I'm neither paid nor obligated to tell you ANYTHING and if you continue being a wise ass, you'll find others here will let you learn on your own.

bmxkid313
Silver Member

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 09:57:34 PM »

In your last post, you said every taxidermist has secrets that are even kept from immediate family. But, you just contridicted yourself! You see, all this started out because of the mention of a "little circle" then you took it to heart and got all defensive about it. I did not direct it towards you at first.

It shows how bad this site is that this thread has not been locked yet! Apparently the moderorators are slacking.
joeym
Platinum Member

Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 10:16:41 PM »

In your last post, you said every taxidermist has secrets that are even kept from immediate family. But, you just contridicted yourself! You see, all this started out because of the mention of a "little circle" then you took it to heart and got all defensive about it. I did not direct it towards you at first.

It shows how bad this site is that this thread has not been locked yet! Apparently the moderorators are slacking.

Little circle, LOL!   I answer a post or two daily mostly from beginners.  My hands get cramped, and can only spend so many hours a day on taxidermy.  I enjoy the fellowship of this site morning, noon, and night.   I am not obligated to respond to any post.   I am not nearly as knowledgeable, nor as talented as many on here, but I share info when I have time.   Insinuating that there is an "inner circle" is most absurd.   

Joe Miitchell (aka jkmitch) and Joey Murphey (joeym)

Joey Murphey, Taxidermist    Chunky, Mississippi    www.mstaxidermist.com     http://wokk.com/pages/2965375.php
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Deer Hoves « previous next »