Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 12:39:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1597354 Posts in 188305 Topics by 42660 Members
Latest Member: MWCT
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Help with deer form « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Help with deer form  (Read 3431 times)
Cha_Lo
Bronze Member

« on: June 14, 2012, 10:40:19 AM »

Hey all, I'm new to taxidermy and I've mounted three deer now and getting better with each one. I ordered this blacktail form from Research and noticed a few odd things about it. First of all the right nostril looks like it didn't pull out of the mold right as a big chunk of it is missing and the wooden back plain isn't the exact size of the form. My previous two forms I ordered from McKenzie and they were really nice forms without these problems. I guess I can just repair the nose area and in regards to the back I could just pull the hide all the way over and staple to the wood, if I have enough hide. Or should I just call Research Manikin and have a new one shipped. Just wondering if these are minor problems. Thanks.

Nose

back
Dakota Hills
Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 11:26:17 AM »

Once in a while you will get a form in with problems.  I don't think I would bother sending it back. The nose area can be easily repaired with clay. Then take a piece of 1/4" plywood and set the base of the form on it and trace around it with a pencil. When you get to the point while mounting,that you can see you may not have enough hide to pull that far in,,, stop and cut out the pattern you traced. Then place it on the back and attach with screws. Then you can staple all the way to the edge.  Or you could attach the plywood,right from the start!!
DaveLemons
Silver Member

davestaxidermystudio.com

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 12:24:47 AM »

Are you sure the plywood isn't the right size.
Get lots of forms in where the foam expands and covers the plywood.
Try pushing a pin in the foam where the backboard should be to find out.
Paul B
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 11:55:57 AM »

As Dave said on the backboard and as for the nose just file down the area on the nose and add a little clay before mounting, easy fix.
brigham boy
Gold Member

"if it's horny, mount it"

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 01:10:42 PM »

If the backboard is that small that sucks if it's easy to return for another go that route.  Now peeps on here are going to be like "blah blah blah you are a taxidermist you should stop bitching and fix it". To each his own I guess but if I buy something I expect it to be new and without Defects,  as advertised.  Now if it's easier to fix then return then I fix it but if I'm making another trip to the supplier soon it comes with me.

"live in the moment."
michael p.
Platinum Member

Getting better with age :)

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 02:37:47 PM »

If the backboard is that small that sucks if it's easy to return for another go that route.  Now peeps on here are going to be like "blah blah blah you are a taxidermist you should stop bitching and fix it". To each his own I guess but if I buy something I expect it to be new and without Defects,  as advertised.  Now if it's easier to fix then return then I fix it but if I'm making another trip to the supplier soon it comes with me.

Listen to brigham boy, you'll go far, he knows way more than anybody else on  here.

Spent my whole life lookin' back
 Not lookin' ahead to see
 Trying to keep my feet on track
 Doin' what was expected of me
 Kick my shoes off so they can't trace me
 Leave no forwarding address
 Before they all drive me crazy
 And I leave 'em all in a bloody mess
C.C.
brigham boy
Gold Member

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 03:31:49 PM »

If the backboard is that small that sucks if it's easy to return for another go that route.  Now peeps on here are going to be like "blah blah blah you are a taxidermist you should stop bitching and fix it". To each his own I guess but if I buy something I expect it to be new and without Defects,  as advertised.  Now if it's easier to fix then return then I fix it but if I'm making another trip to the supplier soon it comes with me.

Listen to brigham boy, you'll go far, he knows way more than anybody else on  here.
Lol yep exactly what I said I know everything.  Listen to micheal p he'll steer you clear from the know it alls.  Lol

"live in the moment."
Cha_Lo
Bronze Member

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 11:44:15 AM »

Thanks all. Yeah that backboard was that small, I called Research and they cross shipped me one with a better back board but that same nostril was messed up too. I'm just going to fix it, not being experienced with the molding process at all, but with two mannikins in that model with the nose being messed up I'm guessing there's something wrong with the mold or with release agents up in that area.
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 09:11:18 PM »

So much of taxidermy is fixing things, without batting an eye.

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
brigham boy
Gold Member

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 12:26:50 AM »

I agree 100% if it's a quick fix but somewhere there has to be a line drawn

I also think its fair to let a supplier know about a flaw! Wouldn't you want to know if you put out a flawed piece? I would so I could make it right and know my customer is pleased. McKenzie has told me before to let them know about any problems big or small !! Why because they want to rest assure there product is sure fire!!  Now I think small issues that can be fixed before you can finish dialing the number should be swept under the rug!! To each his own but I'm sorry it pisses me off when people start making excuses and defending a flawed product!! .. I mean what's next buying a car new and defending the scratch in the bumper.  Its not a matter of being ABLE to fix it, it's a matter of NOT HAVING to fix it

Now will the real slim shady please stand up!!!

"live in the moment."
Heck
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 01:05:31 AM »

I agree 100% if it's a quick fix but somewhere there has to be a line drawn

I also think its fair to let a supplier know about a flaw! Wouldn't you want to know if you put out a flawed piece? I would so I could make it right and know my customer is pleased. McKenzie has told me before to let them know about any problems big or small !! Why because they want to rest assure there product is sure fire!!  Now I think small issues that can be fixed before you can finish dialing the number should be swept under the rug!! To each his own but I'm sorry it pisses me off when people start making excuses and defending a flawed product!! .. I mean what's next buying a car new and defending the scratch in the bumper.  Its not a matter of being ABLE to fix it, it's a matter of NOT HAVING to fix it

Now will the real slim shady please stand up!!!

I agree.... They expect a premium price..... I better receive a premium product!    ;)       Just got done "letting them know" about a form today.  ;)

There is a fine line between confidence and cockyness!
Brian Reinertson
Gold Member

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 08:44:47 AM »

I too agree with Brigham boy on this 100%  A line has to be drawn.  I have ordered form from 6 different suppliers and this supplier is the only one I've also had problems with.  Very similar issues.  I've also read posts over the past couple years with the same message.  Do they not have a QC policy?  If the same nose problem existed again they need to fix their process and not keep sending sub-par products. 
michael p.
Platinum Member

Getting better with age :)

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 09:49:16 AM »

A line has to be drawn. 

Yes it does, right down the center of the nose before you cut it so you can widen it!

I agree.... They expect a premium price..... I better receive a premium product!    ;)       Just got done "letting them know" about a form today.  ;)

Yep, and the more many people gripe about some $hit that does not matter, the higher the cost are going to keep going.  Look, some are valid complaints I agree.  Twisted noses from pulling the form too quick, really bad damage from UPS (6 inch deep 8 inch wide hole would be a good example)...... but some of this stuff yall compain about or send back is ridiculous!  Skin marks on the form, tiny airbubbles, a tiny dings..... many times it's things a Taxidermist if he's prepping his form correctly would be rasping off or claying over in the first place.

Like I said, some points are valid, but so many young Taxidermists have complained because they want a Cadillac finish on these molds that the prices have been raised to cover their whining and packing material.

In the first pic the panel would have given me cause to at least let them know 'hey, you got somebody so stupid that he can't even trace cutting the backboards', but I wouldn't gave even gave a second thought or look to the nose because you build that are up with clay anyways-don't you?  Apparently not :)

Spent my whole life lookin' back
 Not lookin' ahead to see
 Trying to keep my feet on track
 Doin' what was expected of me
 Kick my shoes off so they can't trace me
 Leave no forwarding address
 Before they all drive me crazy
 And I leave 'em all in a bloody mess
C.C.
Brian Reinertson
Gold Member

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 10:15:34 AM »

Why should I have to cut the nose and widen it when the advertised picture in the catalog shows something different?  TMalone said it best in another thread that 20 minute jobs add up.   

It has nothing to do with young taxidermists complaining and that's why prices are higher.  And why do you say young?  I know more old and grumpy taxidermists that complain about this stuff.

So if a customer complained about a piece you did for them with a flaw,  would you say "just go over it with an airbrush, 10 minute fix"  Or would you raise your price next time since they want a "Cadillac" finish on their product.  I don't think so. 
brigham boy
Gold Member

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 10:24:53 AM »

I don't think people calling about flawed product is going to raise the prices, those prices are going up based on what the owner needs to make a living.    Lol right
They will just outsource there customer care to India for a penny on the doller:)

I agree on little tiny dings and stuff :)

"live in the moment."
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Help with deer form « previous next »