Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2014, 09:46:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1603377 Posts in 189129 Topics by 42808 Members
Latest Member: lvsongshui
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Hydro mist paints by lifetone « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hydro mist paints by lifetone  (Read 1688 times)
Oakcreek
Silver Member

« on: April 29, 2007, 08:23:49 AM »

I ordered about 20 different colors from Lifetone (hydromist) airbrush ready.All brand new bottles from McKenzie I have them for about 2 months and used only about 1/8" out of each bottle.

There is about 1" of hard paint in all the bottoms and the "ball" (that stirs it up) is litterly stuck. Now I know why all airbrushing has been so watery even tho shake these botltles vigorously.

Now what do I do?
Or what should I have been doing to keep that from happening?
I am going to copy this in the bird section too I need to paint today!

Southern Taxidermy...Bubba
Bronze Member

Tiger Bait

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 08:42:56 AM »

I use polytranspar laquer paints. They have never given me any problems. You can try and thin them and stir the paint off the bottom.  I find the lifetone paints tend to make my gun spit and the paint dries too fast. Good luck
bill@hogheaven
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 10:08:42 AM »

Take a long screwdriver & dislodge the ball & break the sediment up somewhat. Then sit down & shake baby shake. I have to do this occasionally on seldom used colors. The paint will be fine.

Hog Heaven
Wholesale Boar Taxidermy
35771 Jackson II Road
Carthage, N.Y. 13619
AUplantman
Gold Member

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 10:20:38 AM »

I had that happen also, but a little "hardheaded shaking" and I finally got it to break loose. :)  Now i just lightly shake them occasionally to make sure they stay in good condition.
Oakcreek
Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 11:26:28 AM »

I'll do that, just cant beleive it only took 3 weeks to harden up like that. My paint was real watery coming out and went thru the motions of water in compressor, cleaning out air brush and still watery. I went to the source and it was the stinkin' paint!.

Thanks alot.

TrailsEnd
Platinum Member

Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »

I use hydromist all the time. I have never encountered that problem to the extent that you describe. There is always some settlement but I never saw the pigment harden like that. I am wondering if if the caps weren't put on tight enough at the factory. Either that or it was some pretty old stuff when they sent it to you.

You didn't happen to have the bottles exposed to sunlight did you?
Hope all works out for you. Frustrating at times isn't it.

Trails End Taxidermy Studios
Oakcreek
Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »

Frustrating is the work alright.

No sunlight on em'. I mean I can barely poke thru this stuff with a wire is so hardened. Of coarse I have 5 birds to finish up this weekend.

Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 01:58:54 PM »

I switched brands, they all hardened on me because I bought the large size bottles. I buy one once sizes now for as little as I do.

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
NOAH@aarrkk
Gold Member

Like to swap fish blanks? E-mail me.

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 04:03:39 PM »

Did the paints get frozen at some time?  Also, you might place the containers in a gallon paint bucket with enough whatever to completely fill the bucket and take it to a hardware or paint store that you frequent and ask them to shake the bucket on their paint shaking machine.  Also a couples ago one of the taxidermy magazines had an article on making a paint shaking device, using a drill I believe.  I think the article was by Larry Goldman.

Hope that helps.  I've only had a couple bottles of water-based paints to settle out as solid as you describe but those paints are 20 years old!!!

jerry

We 'NOAH' the creatures & the Creator!  Jerry
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Hydro mist paints by lifetone « previous next »