Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 01:25:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1597862 Posts in 188392 Topics by 42677 Members
Latest Member: kanlanazz
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: Homemade hide tumbler « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Homemade hide tumbler  (Read 2884 times)
owarzecha

« on: September 12, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »

Hey guys I'm a do it yourself type guy and I would like to build a tumble for breaking hides.... I want it big enough to do a 200lb bear.... I am thinking making a tumbler out of 3/4" plywood 6' diam and about 3 feet wide... This would have paddles in it but I am wondering how wide to make the paddles and how much sawdust one typically tumbles with it.... So if you made paddles 8" deep how much sawdust would you run?

If anyone has done this or has any pictures I would appreciate the discussion.

Thank you
twinrivers

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 01:56:26 PM »

I just use an old dryer that has the heating element out of it.  I used aluminum tape to cover all the ports/holes and the lint trap.  I do bears in that as well and it works fine.  Fits nice in the corner and I can also set stuff on top of if I need to...ie bandsaw, dorm refrigerator, etc.  As for for your saw dust/corn cob grit I typically cover about a quarter of the volume of a tumbler, in my case I fill it up to just below the door.  I was going to build a tumbler as well but the dryer seemed alot cheaper and takes up alot less space. Hope I could help.
J Brown II
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 02:23:46 PM »

A dryer will not work for breaking hides. Make the baffles the full width of the drum and at least 12" wide. They will pick up more dust and hides at that width. I use 100 lbs of dust in mine.
twinrivers

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 03:41:54 PM »

I apologize man.  I just use the dryer to tumble dry my hides and birds.  Sorry about that.
owarzecha

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 08:20:47 AM »

So I assume the premise is that you want the hide to be picked up and then dropped the 6 foot... how often would you put the baffles... if I have 6' diameter that is 18.8' circumfrence... should I do 6 baffles at 3.1' apart?

one other question... using this method how long would you typically run the machine to break a normal 200 lb bear rug?

Hopefully be adding pictures of the build soon!
M.T.
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 08:38:29 AM »

If you had the room, an eight foot drop would be the way to go!
passthru
Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 08:50:44 AM »

Here is a link to the tumbler i built.  Use the search button and look for 4 x 6 tumbler or large tumbler.  You should find some good links.  I used 4 paddles that were 2" x 6".  I use between 80 and 100lbs of corn cob grit.  If you have any question PM me.  I will be leaving for the mountains on Saturday Sept 15th so it may take some time for me to reply.  Easy to build.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,306530.msg2102745.html#msg2102745
J Brown II
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 08:51:45 AM »

I only have four baffles opposite each other inside the drum for balance.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: Homemade hide tumbler « previous next »