Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 06:17:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1610567 Posts in 190140 Topics by 43027 Members
Latest Member: RaptorClaw333
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: How much weight will a 16 penny nail hold? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How much weight will a 16 penny nail hold?  (Read 2586 times)
double barrel
Platinum Member

« on: December 22, 2012, 06:36:16 AM »

My brother is a carpenter and told me a 16 penny nail driven into a stud at 90 degrees will hold 300 lbs. Of coarse there are other factors, pine or spruce? Different grains of wood, box nail, common nail might be another factor. Galvanized nail and if the nail is driven at an angle, not 90 degrees, and how much nail is sticking out are also factors.

I just bought one of McKs. heavy hangers, what's the name of it, "peace of mind" or something like that. Big stainless steel plate you could hang an elephant on it and I was wondering what do you guys use to hang heavy mounts with. I'm talking about the nail or screw in the wall, for a lg. elk or caribou? I did a turkey one time and I put it on a cedar limb that was way too big and heavy so I used a 20 penny on that one. What about brick, what type of incert do ya'll use? thanks
Bucknut
Platinum Member

176 5/8

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 07:05:38 AM »

I use a lag screw for elk/moose sized mounts.

I got a couple of 170's - now I want a 190!
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 07:55:21 AM »

Lag screws, they don't pull out, a nail will.

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 09:24:34 AM »

Lag screw.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Matt
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 05:00:44 PM »

Yeah, I wouldn't think of using a nail or those mollies, they WILL fail in time. For brick, I drill a hole a size smaller than the tapcon I am using. Use those in any masonary walls, and put them in the block or brick not the joint.

BATaxidermy
Bronze Member

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 06:38:19 PM »

2000 lbs shear. But use a screw no sense in banging away on your walls... A high quality deck screw into a stud will hold anything. Down the road-

There is still hope as long as an arrow is in the air just shoot first and ask questions later. 2012 #80 Mathews Monster...really laying the smack down.
Killn Time
Gold Member

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 06:47:52 PM »

Tapcon or lead anchor with lag bot into concrete or cement depending on weight. Lead anchor for the heavier mounts. Your lag bolts into studded walls are only as good as what they are screwed into. No way of knowing if your hitting the stud dead center or just catching the edge.

I don't stick my head up a cows ass to check the steaks I take the butchers word for it.
antlerman
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 06:58:21 PM »

rip out the walls. install steel I-beams. Weld bracket to steel.  That should do it on smaller stuff. On bigger stuff have the weld x-rayed.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: How much weight will a 16 penny nail hold? « previous next »