Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 03:24:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1597868 Posts in 188395 Topics by 42677 Members
Latest Member: kanlanazz
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Making a Simple Rock Mold with Silicone Caulk « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Making a Simple Rock Mold with Silicone Caulk  (Read 136732 times)
Jknuth
Platinum Member

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2007, 11:05:20 PM »

LOL
it didnt work for ya?

Nil sa saol seo ach ceo, Is ni bheimid beo, ach seal beag gearr.

List of available blanks
http://www.knuthart.com/molds

Terry Vining
Gold Member

last photo together

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2007, 11:44:51 PM »

I know that two part silicone and latex gloves  can give you curing troubles. I don't know if it's a problem with the tube silicone. I always use the nitrile type when working with silicone.
weasel
Platinum Member

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2007, 12:04:14 AM »

LOL
it didnt work for ya?
it prob would have but the egg broke even though being froze the silicone wasn't 100% all my 100% was one rubber chunk....lol i made a huge mess of it i jsut decided to find some small pecans and paint them and hope thats good enough lol....i'm sure it'll work for me easier on bigger stuff.

"WAR is the remedy our enemy has chosen,and I say give them all they want"Gen.Sherman

The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather DIE on his feet,than live on his knees!"G.Washington
mark11
Gold Member

now accepting new wholesale clients

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2007, 03:20:08 AM »

Would this work in molding a frozen specimen? I mold all of my own artificial duck and goose heads and would like to find an inexpensive way to make the first mold. I currently mold the head in RTV and then clean up and repair the cast and then remold in RTV to get a production mold. Thanks, Mark.

The Wonders of Nature Taxidermy
wholesale and commercial work
wondersofnature1@excite.com
montana art
Silver Member

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2007, 11:32:20 PM »

just got back from vacation. Thanks so much for the info. great article!
Jknuth
Platinum Member

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2007, 12:02:42 AM »

I havnt tried it with totally frozen specimens.
I have seen it used to mold duck heads and geese  in the field. the trick is not to get it on any feathers.
we actually skinned the ducks head back to the neck first, I say we because i am not a bird guy.
I have molded Iguana heads after they where skinned to make a carcass cast. they where cold but not frozen.

List of available blanks

mark11
Gold Member

now accepting new wholesale clients

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2007, 05:05:08 PM »

Thanks, I will try it both ways and get back when I do to let anyone interested know how it works out. Mark

The Wonders of Nature Taxidermy
wholesale and commercial work
wondersofnature1@excite.com
boarhunter67
Platinum Member

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2007, 09:51:24 PM »

For some items (like bison horns) I've thinned out the silicone with xylene on the first coat only.  Also, using synlube will make it release better on things like that.   Thanks for the acrylic tip.  I get tired of waiting for it to try.  :)
Oriste

Seachain an ialtg anois!

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2007, 11:41:44 AM »

Thanks for this. Great idea with the bright paint! =) Will be trying after my holidays.

-Rebecca-
Platinum Member

A venti caffe' mocha vodka valium latte to go plz

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2007, 10:53:53 PM »

Thanks for the great post! I tried it out on some shrooms and it worked great. 
Jknuth
Platinum Member

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2007, 02:27:22 AM »

Thanks for the great post! I tried it out on some shrooms and it worked great. 

YAAY Iam useful LOL

Iam glad it worked out
Ill be posting a photo of what i used the rocks for in a few day. just have a few more finishing touches :)

List of available blanks

michaelj

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2007, 09:18:46 AM »

Joshua, thumbs up to an EXCELLENT tutorial.
Can you expand on how you colored the rock?
Thanks again.
Samantha.
Gold Member

I'm an Australian.

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2007, 07:33:14 PM »

Josh - Thankyou so much.
Repro rocks are just too unaffordable for me to bring over here.
I havnt been confident enough to try and mold some real ones myself until I read your post.

Now I just have to find a sales person at the hardware store who knows what he is selling. When I asked for 100% silicone in tubes - well, he just gave me a blank look. :) ::)
SB7

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2007, 04:38:58 AM »

Jknuth

"I used thinned bondo"

I'm new to this forum,   

Please explain WHICH PRODUCT OF  BONDO   ??? you purchased.
             Also is this the same BONDO that you can purchase at an AUTO PARTS STORE???

Please explain how you THINNED IT??? 
SB7

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2007, 05:56:05 AM »

Samantha.

Now I just have to find a sales person at the hardware store who knows what he is selling. When I asked for 100% silicone in tubes - well, he just gave me a blank look. 

You can purchase what your looking for at the following two stores...... HOME DEPOT or LOWES

Look SPECIFICALLY for the following item.   
                                                                                 GE    (General Electric Emblem)

SILICONE 1

100% SILICONE RUBBER SEALANT

CLEAR

The product you want, Is Packaged in a RED COLORED TUBE..... Purchase the RED COLORED TUBE ONLY Its marked Specifically for KITCHEN & BATH  (WRITTEN IN WHITE) on the side of the Caulking tube.

Wonder the isles until you find it, if you have to, most likely it will be in a single box consisting of a dozen or so tubes.

It also comes in a small squeezable plastic tube dispenser with a cap cover.  ALSO COLORED RED

The tube is a CAULKING TUBE so you will also need to purchase a rather inexpensive [b]CAULKING GUN[/b],  ask the salesperson how to use it.
            You don't have to be a rocket scientist.

_________________

You will also find the same product packaged in a BLUE COLERED TUBE...........DO NOT PURCHASE THIS COLOR [/b] as it is OUT OF DATE, contents expired.

You will find this color packaged tube amongst a great variety of tubes....    ALL ....will be in the same immediate vicinity....  All ....wil be the same color.  This alone will tell you your in the wrong isle. 

AGAIN ITS OUT OF DATE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COLORED PRODUCT

Hope this helps

SB7
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Making a Simple Rock Mold with Silicone Caulk « previous next »