Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2014, 07:59:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1610081 Posts in 190063 Topics by 43012 Members
Latest Member: thayn61
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Which Hide Paste to Use « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Which Hide Paste to Use  (Read 1905 times)
Kenny
Bronze Member

« on: October 13, 2006, 05:46:35 PM »

I've already done a search on this subject and found that Buckeye Supreme has been recommended more than most of the others.  I also seen where McKenzie has been recommended by several well known taxis.  What I did not find anywhere was the mention of a dry hide paste, i.e. Sallie Dahmes hide paste, nor did I find anything on Polytranspar or Van Dyke's Brands.  Have anyone used these and what were the results. Obviously I am a beginner, I have used one of the mentioned with good results, but if I am missing something I might not know it.  Thanks for any input.

Marathon Freak
EJ
Platinum Member

Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 06:24:20 PM »

If you're using a paste now that you get good results with why worry? When I was in taxidermy school we used the dry paste that McKenzie's sells. You mix it with water and it's ready to use. It worked fine but then someone said you've got to try Buckeye and so I did. Liked it used it until McKenzie's came out with their new paste. It's the first paste I have really seen a difference in. If you have a well shaved hide and there is a detail in the form that you don't want to show you had better fill it clay or something because McKenzie paste will suck it into it! I know some don't like it but I swear by the stuff.

Dean
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 07:15:45 PM »

I feel there is not one do all hide paste. I have different ones on hand and they all serve different purposes I think the buckeye surpreme tacks up to fast when mounting, preventing much time to taxi the skin. You need to go back and look and tweek the mount as it dries. I use it for some earliner work and other jobs where I want it to set up a little quicker.  Buckeye has another hide paste similar to Mc Kenzie's new hide paste. (white stuff) I like both of them and they give you good work time for tweeking the next day. I use I believe it's a dextrin base hide paste from VanDyke. I use it on the African animals just like they advertise. It works great for them and other mounts too. It really gives you nice look when having to add wrinkles in the mount. I've been using that  one on all lifesize and more and more on whitetail mounts and like it a lot. They all serve the same purpose it mainly depends on how your form is prepped and how good the skin is prepped and fitted.  I could take any of the hide pastes out there today and have great results. If drumming is a problem then it is likely bad prep some where or a bad fitting tight hide.
Bill Dishman
Platinum Member

taxidermist / instructor

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 10:53:43 PM »

I have been using Lifetone hidepaste on my gameheads with good results, cause it bonds within a couple hours.  For lifesize i use either a dextrine based paste or cheap white caulk for more working time.

SECOND NATURE SCHOOL OF TAXIDERMY, LLC
20360 Hwy 200 E.
Bonner,  MT  59823           
866 380-5757 toll free

SECOND NATURE School of Taxidermy is the proven choice of career minded taxidermy students from coast to coast.
We are government approved for students using GI bill and VA benefits.
Jims Wildlife Studio
Platinum Member

Full Time PA Taxidermist

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 11:39:08 PM »

I Agree with Bill, I use lifetone paste for all my gamehead Mount's, and Lifesize. I usually mount all of my lifesize wet tanned which helps from the paste drying to quickly.

Jims Wildlife Studio
158 Cemetery Street                                                                                                      
Archbald, PA. 18403
(484) 239-1275
Kenny
Bronze Member

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 08:09:01 AM »

Thanks for your input, I currently am using Sallie Dahmes brand.  I am going to try buckeye and lifetone for myself, just so I know.  Thanks again...Kenny

Marathon Freak
AndyO
Platinum Member

meow

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 10:09:15 AM »

Buckeye supreme for larger areas and Epo-Grip waterbase on the facial or highly detailed areas. Works for me.

"If you are not aware of how bad you suck, you're an idiot."  ~Rick Carter 1-12-12
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 10:45:52 AM »

Dean's point should be taken seriously.  In doing gamehead, Buckeye is spectacular, but it does tend to tack up quicker than I'd like on my lifesize.  Epo-Grip water based gives me that extra day to taxi the hide and that's enough reason for me.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Kenny
Bronze Member

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 04:01:19 PM »

George, which Epo-Grip are you referring to.  What I found was "Epo-Grip Adhesive Hide Adhesive"  Which in 2 different catalogs says it has a cure time of 4-6 hours.  Is this time extended once covered by the hide? or something else? thanks for your help

Marathon Freak
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 06:03:09 PM »

Kenny, that's the epoxy based hide paste. The water paste takes about 3 days.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
GGT

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 09:05:11 PM »

I agree with George on the life size. I like the Epo-Grip water based. It works great and it's easy to move the hide around to get everything in position. The only problem is that if you apply too much it tends to "drool" and pool to the bottom of the mount.
Dan C.

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 12:47:28 PM »

When I first started I used Sallie Dahmes hide paste.  Through the years I tried other dry mix hide pastes, but none of them compare to Buckeye Supreme.  Try it, and you'll never go back to the dry mix!  I haven't tried the new Mackenzie paste yet, so I can't comment on how it compares, but Buckeye Supreme works great, and I like the fact that I don't have to take time to mix it.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Which Hide Paste to Use « previous next »