Bison Skull Horn Sheath Removal?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 19, 2014, 03:41:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1631878 Posts in 193621 Topics by 43719 Members
Latest Member: jws outdoors
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Bison Skull Horn Sheath Removal? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Bison Skull Horn Sheath Removal?  (Read 5607 times)
EastonWest
Platinum Member

What we do in North Dakota, STAYS here.

« on: July 22, 2007, 07:56:48 PM »

I finally acquired a buffalo skull from the local slaughter plant.  It is absolutely enormous and I still hafta cut a bunch of meat off of it.  I am clueless as how to get the horn sheaths off though. If anyone can help me out it would be very appreciated. Thanks. EB

**Hunter**Trapper**Angler**Taxidermist**Fur-buyer
Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 08:25:20 PM »

Hack, carve, slice and rip ... all the meat off you possibly can. Break up the brain with a stick and flush it ALL out with a hose. Put it in a large black plastic garbage bag (two if they are thin and toss in a couple of cups of water. Tie the bag up tight and put it up on your roof if you can for at least a month. If you can't get it up there see if you can lay out some roofing shingles on a flat surface so that they soak up the sun and help generate heat in the black bag. Make sure it gets as much sun as possible in the bag. After a month, open the bag ... send the wife and kids away this day ... hold your nose and hose it off really well. At this point the horn caps should be loose and you should be able to knock them off with a rubber mallet and some twisting. Use a rag as rubber gloves don't grip very well. You can then boil the skull, beetle clean or what have you. The horn caps can be scrubbed and cleaned with some good detergent soap. I use a stiff brush for cleaning thermos bottles to get all the way down into the tips. Soak for a week in a strong solution of baking soda and wash and rinse again. Once completely dry they won't smell. You should also cut the bone cores off short if you are going to put the caps back on. There will be a quantity of nasty goo inside them (they are hollow near the base) that you will have to get out too.

joeyarcher

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 08:30:59 PM »

Take and cut with a fillet knife up inside and around the sheaths as much as possible. Then take and shove as much saran wrap or shrink wrap up inside the sheath as you can. Then tightly wrap the sheaths with the same and the rest mother nature will take care of. In a couple of days try to start wiggling the sheaths. They will soon come off.
weasel
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 08:54:57 PM »

wow i wanan buffalo skull....

by aquired you mean free or had to buy?

"WAR is the remedy our enemy has chosen,and I say give them all they want"Gen.Sherman

The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather DIE on his feet,than live on his knees!"G.Washington
Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 10:02:48 PM »

Here ya go Weas. .. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140138866172 I just bought one from on there. They show up all the time. :)

EastonWest
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 10:59:55 PM »

wow i wanan buffalo skull....

by aquired you mean free or had to buy?

Nope, i got it for free.  I have family that works at this bison processing plant near my home town and I asked if I'd be able to get a raw buffalo skull.  I received a bull skull for free and the manager of the plant says that If this one turns out okay and I show it to him that he'll give me a herd bull skull for free also.  I sure am lucky. ;D

weasel
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 11:14:36 PM »

WOW I envy you : )

"WAR is the remedy our enemy has chosen,and I say give them all they want"Gen.Sherman

The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather DIE on his feet,than live on his knees!"G.Washington
Archer

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 03:45:03 AM »

Where I live, I can't do the stink option. So, I remove as much of the meat, brains, etc. from the skull I can, then I simmer in large tub of water with dishwasher soap until the horn caps come off with a good twist. Take a little while for the hot water to cook the inside membranes of the horns to the point they loosen up. Then I just poor some Borax in each horn and continue simmer/boiling the skull till I can scrape all tissue from it. I then clean replace the water with fresh, clean water, more dishwasher soap and a cup of 40% hydrogen peroxide. Continue to simmer until it's as clean as I like it. Let everything dry/cure for a few days, glue horn caps on and that's about it.

Good luck!

"The details aren't just the details, they make the design"
Gobblingfever
Platinum Member

100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 12:24:21 AM »

I macerated a cow buffalo skull and the caps started to get soft and kinda fall apart and get mushy. They are like a bunch of thick hairs stuck together to make a horn.
hhbones
Bronze Member

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 10:51:13 AM »

I macerated a cow buffalo skull and the caps started to get soft and kinda fall apart and get mushy. They are like a bunch of thick hairs stuck together to make a horn.

The caps need to be removed before macerating or that happens.

Matt

Member IBOSCU
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

~Thomas Jefferson~
Gobl 4 Me

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 12:10:07 PM »

Hey eastonwest is it going in beetles????
EastonWest
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 09:47:23 PM »

Yep, goin in the beetles so simmering and rotting really ain't an option for me.

freddy d
Bronze Member

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 12:25:48 AM »

Just Cleaned a Scotish Highlander cow skull with my beetles. I covered the horns with sahran wrap then duct tape, within a couple of days the horn caps lossened up and came off with very little twisting. The beetles then made fast work of removing the membrane
EastonWest
Platinum Member

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 11:37:07 AM »

I cleaned a pronghorn and just cut the horns off. Got a knife underneath the horn sheaths and was able to get them off this way. I'll see if this'll work with a bison. Thanks everyone for the help>

pigsrus

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 09:02:11 AM »

OK, seems like there are several options and seems like someone has negative comments about each.  I have a bull buffalo in my shop and the customer wants a shoulder mount as well as a European mount.  I tried simmering first with no luck.  Four hours later I could not get them to budge.  Currently the skull and caps are in a trash bag and have been for 14 days.  No luck on removing the caps so far.  It stinks and the base of the caps are a bit soft.  Do I need to get rough with them to get them off the skull?  So far I have only tried twisting with my hands and not a lot of force.

The bag is in a barn, not direct sunlight.  The outside temp is averaging around 50 at night and 65 during the day.  What am I doing wrong?  Obviously this is the first time I have dealt with horn caps.

Thanks for any help.  Sam
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Bison Skull Horn Sheath Removal? « previous next »