2nd fish! Any better than 1st?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2017, 06:00:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1784827 Posts in 222134 Topics by 49115 Members
Latest Member: diableau
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: 2nd fish! Any better than 1st? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: 2nd fish! Any better than 1st?  (Read 3190 times)
Jwhargro

Email
« on: May 18, 2017, 03:23:32 PM »

My 2nd fish I'm currently working on. 9lb. LM. Need you guys to tell me if there's any improvement from 1st fish(spotted bass). Once again I can take it so let me have it!!!!!!

rogerswildlife
Gold Member

Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 08:15:41 PM »

Good job on your second fish ! I've seen some guys been doing fish for years that don't look that good . Always study good reference when working on anything is the best advice for you . Your doing great keep at it and have fun !
Tommy ....

Proud member of the Georgia Taxidermist Association                          2015 Georgia Best All Around Taxidermist
2017 Georgia Best All Around Taxidermist
www.rogerswildlifetaxidermy.com
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 09:37:37 PM »

You're getting there.  The color is a bit pale but the thing I noticed most is the positioning of the caudal fin as well as it's shape.  The tail seems a bit over extended and most fishermen want there fish to look long.  The shape is off as there's usuall a divot in the center of the tail edge.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Jwhargro

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 10:21:29 PM »

Ok thanks fellas. I've been wanting to specialize in fish taxidermy since I was a kid. I really do enjoy the challenge of trying to mimic a live fish. Thanks again for the tips. Like I said 2nd fish so I don't expect it to be awesome would like to one day get there though. I'll send pics of finished work. Will say the fish had been sitting in freezer for 2 years in a trash bag, was frost bit pretty bad. Thanks again. Oh this will be finished mount just gotta get em painted!
mopsrdrawer67
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 10:38:50 AM »

They are great.  It was commented that your bass looks a little 'pale' in color.  I like em a little darker myself, but I get some farm pond bass that a very pale right when you catch them.,  almost 'dead' looking, with almost non-existent markings. I may be wrong, but I think that might be related to water temps.   I always ask the customer if he wants it darker or not.
Jimmy Lawrence
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 11:14:32 AM »

You're doing great.  Fin positioning needs corrected, but you're doing fine.

I can't wait to see the last pictures finished.  The bottom fish with the barely open mouth looks insanely cool. 

Keep posting.

Jimmy

Lawrence Taxidermy Studio.  Specializing in Award Winning Fish Skinmounts, and Reproductions.
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 11:24:37 AM »

That is a bad ass looking fish on the bottom.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
FishArt
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 11:35:02 AM »

You have a great eye for the details and your first two fish look better than most anybody's first mounts that I have seen. Keep up the good work and yes, I too like the closed mouth bass!

The bland colors (and lack of skin tones) as mentioned jump out the most for me. Looks like you whited the skin mount out before painting? Some folks do that with their skins and that's fine if it works for you. But, if you're going to white it out, then you're going to want to antique your skin mount prior to painting just like you would a replica. For example, if you look at your belly spots they look painted mostly because of the stark, white background. If you had some skin tones behind there, these spots would blend much better I think.

Speaking of the closed mouth bass (and the other one in that pic), I see a significant improvement over your first fish. Of course most will see the most improvement in their first few mounts as they learn. But, I'm seeing a pretty good jump. Again, I think you "have it"!! You're seeing things that many never see...

"FishArt"
Marty Shimkus
Fish Specialties Taxidermy LLC
Various Locations
www.FishSpecialties.NET
Jwhargro

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 01:51:39 PM »

Thanks again guys for your input. Both bass happened to be farm pond bass. That's my biggest challenge right now is painting. I did white out the fish before painting & tried the paint schedule I found on here by "Cole". I'm really trying to achieve some depth but can't quite get there. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.
FishArt
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 02:00:46 PM »

Thanks again guys for your input. Both bass happened to be farm pond bass. That's my biggest challenge right now is painting. I did white out the fish before painting & tried the paint schedule I found on here by "Cole". I'm really trying to achieve some depth but can't quite get there. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

The fact that I could tell it was whited out should say something. Why not try painting the other way w/o whiting out? You may like it! Or, again, if you antique your skins after whiting out you will get much of that depth to start with that you're looking for.

"FishArt"
Marty Shimkus
Various Locations
www.FishSpecialties.NET
Jwhargro

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 02:04:35 PM »

This is what majority of the fish caught in our area look like.
Jwhargro

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 02:09:07 PM »

I will try that FishArt thanks. Maybe I'll have them done by the end of the weekend. Will post some pics if so.
Cecil
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 06:54:26 PM »

Just one thing to add: Where you fill in caudal fin gaps try and model in the rays that are missing with whatever you are using to build up your shrinkage. Pay close attention to the adjoining rays. It's not difficult. Then white out the entire caudal fin and paint from there.

The risk I took was calculated, but man am I bad at math!
Jwhargro

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 09:59:48 PM »

What you think about paint job?
FishArt
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 10:40:40 AM »

Looks pretty good. I think the biggest thing that stands out is your whites are too stark in the belly area and it looks like you brought them up too far into the body. And/or your greens/yellows/gold body colors aren't brought down far enough. Same problem as before really where the lower spots are up against a pure white background. I think you need less contrast here. JMO...

"FishArt"
Marty Shimkus
Various Locations
www.FishSpecialties.NET
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: 2nd fish! Any better than 1st? « previous next »
Jump to: