HELP !!!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 10:17:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1787226 Posts in 222728 Topics by 49242 Members
Latest Member: backcountryhunter18
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Habitat and Exhibit  |  Topic: HELP !!! « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HELP !!!  (Read 1223 times)
kickstart59
Silver Member

Email
« on: June 10, 2017, 07:39:12 AM »

I have a customer that wants an arrow Head plaque used for a BASE for an euro mount. Problem is he wants a dirt circle in it with the skull laying kind of on its side with a coyote print in the dirt, like it was laying on the ground.  He shot this buck and didn't find it before the coyotes did.
I took a router and took the circle out (1/4) and made a water glue and  peat moss. It grew mold and split the wood. What am I doing wrong???
BrookeSFD16
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 12:51:14 PM »

When you routered the hole, you took away the sealer. You should have resealed the wood before adding any water.  It also sounds like you put too thick a layer of glue/ moss and it never dried in the middle, causing the mold. Do thin layers and allow each to dry completely before adding more.

Genesis 27:3
kickstart59
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 04:59:10 PM »

Thank you
Sikk
Gold Member

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 07:24:55 PM »

you may consider making your dirt out of two part foam, you can put dry paint pigment in the foam before mixing to color, then for realism  spread some dirt on the foam before it sets. the dirt will adhere to the foam giving he impression that its all dirt, never had mold issues, also the foam does not cause the wood to swell like water based glues do, preventing cracking or joint separation. paul
KatieC
Gold Member

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 08:39:50 PM »

What they said, seal the wood and build up most of your dirt base with another material before actually adding the glue and dirt for your final layer. I run a dehumidifier in the shop too.

Always open to constructive critique of my work.
kickstart59
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 06:40:25 PM »

Thanks guys
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Habitat and Exhibit  |  Topic: HELP !!! « previous next »
Jump to: