Bondo molding fish
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 01:42:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1787074 Posts in 222679 Topics by 49235 Members
Latest Member: Averilla
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Molding and Casting  |  Topic: Bondo molding fish « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bondo molding fish  (Read 1534 times)
Beltonbanger
Silver Member

Email
« on: June 22, 2017, 09:50:48 AM »

I have tried several times and keep cooking my fish. Can you cool the bondo down when it kicks or am I just using too much hardener? Any help would be appreciated.

Will this smell EVER come off my hands???
Bill Muntz
JHardman
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 12:44:22 PM »

Most of the time you can expect to cook the fish by molding with bondo. You may be able to reduce the effects of the thermal damage by using less hardner but it will still heat some. pouring a thin detail layer of bondo and resin and letting that kick completely before building it up in thin layers may help some. I have been able to skin mount a few warm water species this way.I have never have had any success salvaging any trout this way however. If I am pouring a bondo mold I just expect to work up the reproduction and sacrifice the skin. If I want both I will always pour a silicone mold, I have heard of folks having great success with alginate and it won't harm the skin, it just hasn't ever worked for me. If you must use Bondo for the Mold then I would pour it thin, reduce the hardener and try to only pour when it is cool out, early mornings ect. The resin won't set near as fast as your are used to but it will still set and it won't build as much heat.

Philippians 4:13 \"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me\"
Cory
Gold Member

Keep an eye on quality!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 03:59:01 PM »

As JHardman said, the "secret" is in the first pour of the fish.  Keep it thin and kick it light!  I have waited up to an hour before being able to add layers to the first side of the fish.  You can kick it just a bit harder on the second side of the fish, but be careful if you are wanting to salvage the fish for a skin mount.  The problem i find with bondo is the fact that it will remove scales when demolding, hence, making a skin mount fish tougher, depending on the damage.

\"QUALITY, NOT QUANTITY\"
Beltonbanger
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 07:11:18 AM »

Thanks!!! This is great info!

Will this smell EVER come off my hands???
Bill Muntz
srholmes30
Platinum Member

Living each and every day

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 11:49:40 AM »

Thank's great info

U.S.Army Vetern 3rd RANGER Bn  75th RANGER Rgt   ISAIAH 6:8
 My Dad "Just passing through"  1935-2011
 I shall walk this but once,There for what ever good I might do,let me do it now.For I shall never walk this again.
JL
Platinum Member

Taxidermist for 64 years

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:13:22 PM »

Never could save the fish skin molded with Bondo. Pour a half mold with Alginate and make the half repro with Bondo then repeat the process , or use silicone and a mother mold.

Do one thing better than others and let others do their thing.....JL
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Molding and Casting  |  Topic: Bondo molding fish « previous next »
Jump to: