Krowtan
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2017, 08:50:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1777077 Posts in 220617 Topics by 48766 Members
Latest Member: Sophiepyth
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Krowtan « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Krowtan  (Read 500 times)
primmg

Email
« on: July 15, 2017, 01:14:16 PM »

This is for anyone using Krowtan, my shop gets pretty warm during the day while I'm at work 85 to 90 probably, I cut the air on when I get in so I can work into the evening, when checking my deer hides in the Krowtan I've noticed the water being like bath water very warm, I've had a little slippage in small areas on several capes, does anyone know if the warm water will harm the capes, thanks for any help.
1stturkey
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 05:33:47 PM »

That's probably a good question for the manufacturer but my guess is you're okay.  There's so much salt added when you mix it up for tanning it should be stable at that temperature.
tem
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 10:33:27 PM »

i work in a basement and it can get worm and tacky at times. i havent had any problems.
colinb
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 04:11:54 PM »

Used it for years and never had a problem.
Twin Rivers

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 04:28:16 PM »

I don't think the temperature matters much, although 90 is pretty hot.  pH does but that is when tanning with other agents.  I have been using the product for a few years now to simplify things in my shop.  One year I had a few slip but not all of them.  It is most likely a field care issue for the spot slippage.  One thing I do though even with this process is I salt my hides overnight and rehydrate before submerging them into the krowtann.  I know it says to just throw them in the solution, and I have done that before, but I just feel better knowing they were properly salted, especially if you're not in your shop all day to agitate them every so often. I'm used to being gone 10-12 hours a day so they get agitated before and after work. 
jessewild
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 08:13:20 PM »

I've used krowtan  for years and have never had a problem the warmer the water you use the faster the tan will work and my experience
Jim Tucker
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 11:35:35 PM »

Slip spots with Krowtan are usually agitation related.  If you are religious about pulling the skins all the way out and pulling folds apart the first few days you shouldn't have a problem.  I have left hides sitting for 6+ months untouched after the first  few days with no issues...in all weather.

OHIO TAXIDERMISTS ASSOCIATION - http://ohiotaxidermists.wixsite.com/ohio
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Krowtan « previous next »
Jump to: