mounting a flying mallard with a shattered wing bone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2017, 02:53:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1787575 Posts in 222806 Topics by 49259 Members
Latest Member: 137buck
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: mounting a flying mallard with a shattered wing bone « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: mounting a flying mallard with a shattered wing bone  (Read 891 times)
allison1952

Email
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:01:19 AM »

can someone give me some insight on filling the void "no wing bone" on a flying mallard mount so its strong and looks acceptable, am new at this and would sure appreciate any and all advice.. thanks again
museum man
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 11:19:00 AM »

on busted up wing bones I have in the past used small wire, inserted it in the remaining bones and super glued them in allowing me to then wrap or clay the wire replacing bone armature.  this works every time for me. shouldn't matter how much is gone it just takes time to recreate the radius and the ulna. after super gluing the wire in I have never had one come loose during mounting.  good luck

i am a retired taxidermist from the museum of science and natural history.....
Tom Maul
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 07:11:02 PM »

From the home page...
Click on TUTORIALS
Click on LIST OF TUTORIALS BY SUBJECT
Scroll down on pg one to WING TIPS #8

This is the technique that Museum Man is referring to
Also, in the upper right hand corner on the home page you'll see ARCHIVES. There is a tremendous amount of information there to search through.

They called it paradise.
I don't know why.
Call someplace paradise... kiss it goodbye.
Nancy C
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 11:29:53 PM »

If the wing bone is completely demolished and there is nothing left - not even enough to super glue wires into the hollow ends  of the broken bones - then you can make an articulated wire armature to replace the missing bones.  Using very sturdy thread, sew it into the cartilage of the wrist joint, using the small loop at the distal end to keep it from slipping around.  I like to do it before I wash the birds because it helps to keep the wing feathers in better condition.
Wrap some tape around where the wires overlap (or you can wrap it with thread and superglue with borax. Replace  it if necessary after washing.
When it's time to assemble the bird, place some epoxy filler in the area closest to the wrist. You will be able to shape it from the outside in order to smooth the transition area. Wire, wrap and pose the boneless wing as usual, aside from the epoxy reinforcement. (Don't skip that step - it's important.)

byrdman
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 03:52:50 PM »

Nancy where you been......Ive also used bones from other birds I saved from hunting season......but the "parts" issue.......like the hinged armature Nancy...
allison1952

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 09:38:15 AM »

thanks for the advice everyone
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: mounting a flying mallard with a shattered wing bone « previous next »
Jump to: