The latest CWD info I just learned.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2017, 11:46:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1782675 Posts in 221699 Topics by 49007 Members
Latest Member: Tumfleet
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: The latest CWD info I just learned. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: The latest CWD info I just learned.  (Read 2071 times)
Andy
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 11:48:17 AM »

Andy this is the time of year that EHD is rampant in deer herds.

I understand but there wasn't any issue last year or the year before. Weve had plenty of rain this summer also , so cant blame on any small puddles.
3bears
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2017, 10:36:19 PM »

Well I had a lengthy chat with a USDA vet today. It was somewhat enlightening. The unofficial approach of the USDA is that there is never a negative result from a CWD test only an "Undecteble" result.
The herd they depopulated was under quarantine for the last three years and if the owner hadn't agreed to a buy out, if he had just waited 2 more years he would have passed the test, providing no positives turned up. If his herd comes up with any positives he has to keep the enclosures up for only 5 years excluding all critters that may be infected by CWD. As it stands now, in 5 years he could reintroduce deer to the property. That one perplexes me, as they aren't sure how long the prions remain viable. The bucks were still in velvet and their biggest concern was cleaning the velvet off the racks, as they promised the owner that he could retain all hard horned antlers with a cleaned skull cap. They wanted me to try to explain how to remove it or even help them do it but, OSHA would not allow me to be involved.  The antlers and skull caps were soaked and scrubbed in a bleach solution. I inquired why, from what I've learned, it doesn't degrade the prions, but I was informed that it can start to degrade the prions and lesson the chance of transmission. I'm not sure I agree with that but, it is also their protocol. She mentioned that consuming CWD positive deer has actually been linked to infecting humans. She suggested that all deer be tested. I white tail deer CWD shows up in the lymph nodes often times before it is detectable in the brain but in elk it is different it shows up in the tonsils first, that's interesting.  This is bigger than just hurting our industry. They are afraid of the ramifications to the food chain of the world. We also did discuss mad cow disease during this discussion brought up by her.  There is probably more info that I will remember as time goes by and I'll add to this as I remember or learn more.
bigrick_2u
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2017, 08:38:28 AM »

Good info 3bears.
msestak
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2017, 08:59:33 AM »

She mentioned that consuming CWD positive deer has actually been linked to infecting humans.  They are afraid of the ramifications to the food chain of the world.

THIS....is what they want to keep quiet. since they know it can get into plants and other animals, why do they still allow animal "By products" to be added to food we feed our pets, or anything for that matter, just gotta wonder why. maybe its because their God is greed and Green.
3bears
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2017, 09:08:03 AM »

Not to scare you or anyone else but, think about this msestak, even vegetarians may contract cwd, if positive animals piss on the plants they eat. Allowing animal parts as a protein additive in livestock feed isn't the likely cause of this and maybe tighter restrictions are warranted, I'm not sure it will stop it or even slow it down.
msestak
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2017, 06:24:43 PM »

thats it exactly. no one is safe if this gets into everything. carnivore, omnivore, herbivore, we are all at risk.

might have to switch over to fish and anything that grows on a tree instead of smaller ground based plants.
msestak
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 09:21:07 AM »

just read a ladies obituary today. the top line said she died from a brief illness caused by CJD. have not seen any news about any investigation of meat products. isn't CJD a meat related disease ?
John C
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 05:22:55 PM »

Any disease related to PRION 14-3-3 is a transmissible spongiform Enchephlopothy.  TSA. Part of my Saturday was briefing some concerned folks about CWD. If a human can catch madcow from bovine, then a human can catch vCJD or straight CJ from the deer meat.

Trees, wheat, oats corn all can pickup the malformed prion. Squirrels carry CJD

There are only two kinds of people in the world. Givers and Takers. The givers give of their time, their money, and their love. They are happy because it gives them joy to make others happy. They are rich in friends and content with their lives. The takers are never happy.
John C
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 05:26:19 PM »

Decontamination Methods for Prions
The safest and most unambiguous method for ensuring that there is no risk of residual
prion  infectivity  is  to  discard  and  destroy  contaminated  materials  by  incineration.   
Instruments  that  will  be  reused  should  be  kept  moist  between  the  time  of  exposure  to 
prions and subsequent decontamination and cleaning. 
Current  research  indicates  that  inactivation  of  prions  may  be  achieved  by  applying  one 
of the following methods:
Liquid Wastes

Mix with NaOH for a final concentration of 1.0 N NaOH and hold for 24 hours.
Neutralize and dispose of down the drain or hold for chemical waste disposal.

Autoclave at 132
o
C for 4 hours and dispose of down the drain.
Heat Resistant Instruments

Soak in 2.0 N NaOH for 1 hour (or 1.0 N NaOH for 2 hours).  Rinse and autoclave
autoclave at 134
o
C for 1 hour.

Immerse in 1.0 N NaOH and autoclave at 121
o
C for 30 min.  Clean and rinse.

Soak in 1.0 N NaOH (or full-strength household bleach) for 1 hour.  Rinse and place
open pan, covering with water if desired. Autoclave at 121
o
C for 1 hour. 

Immerse in 1.0 N NaOH and boil for 10 min. Clean and rinse.

Immerse in full-strength household bleach (or 1.0 N NaOH) for 1 hour.  Clean and
rinse.

Autoclave at 132
o
C for 4 hours.
Surfaces and Heat Sensitive Instruments

Flood with 2.0 N NaOH or full-strength household bleach and let stand for 1 hour.
Mop up and rinse with water.

Clean with 1.0 N NaOH allowing a 5 minute contact time, followed by a wipedown
with 1.0 N HCl. Rinse with water.

Where surfaces cannot tolerate the proceeding methods, thorough cleaning will
remove most infectivity by dilution and some additional benefit may be derived from
the use of one or another of the partially effective methods listed in the table below.
Dry Materials, Dry Waste, Sharps

Heat in porous load autoclave at 134
o
C for 1 hour.

Autoclave at 132
o
C for 4 hours. 

Identify container with label reading Prion-Contaminated For Incineration Only.
Arrange for pick-up and final destruction by incineration.
Contaminated Skin Surfaces and Splashes to the Eye

Swab skin with 1.0 N NaOH for 5 minutes.  Rinse with copious amounts of water.

Eyes are rinsed with copious amounts of water or saline
only

Ineffective or Sub-Optimal Prion Disinfection Methods 
Chemical Disinfectants
Gaseous
Disinfectants
Physical Processes
Ineffective
                                                 Ineffective
                  Ineffective
Alcohol                                                      Ethylene                                                      oxide                                                      Boiling                                                     
Ammonia                                                   Formaldehyde                                                   Dry                                                   heat                                                   (<300
o
C)
β
-propiolactone
Formalin                                                                                                     
Variably or Partially Effective
Hydrochloric acid
Autoclaving at 121C for 15 minutes
Peracetic acid
Boiling in sodi
um dodecyl sulfate (SDS) (3%)
Phenolics                                                                                                                                                     
Sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS) (5%)
Variably or Partially Effective
Chlorine dioxide
Glutaraldehyde                                                                                                                           
Guanidinium thiocynate (4 M)
Iodophores                                                                                                                                             
Sodium dichloro-isocynaurate
Sodium metaperiodate
Urea (6 M)

There are only two kinds of people in the world. Givers and Takers. The givers give of their time, their money, and their love. They are happy because it gives them joy to make others happy. They are rich in friends and content with their lives. The takers are never happy.
3bears
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #39 on: Today at 08:21:11 AM »

John C. Not that I question what you posted about decontamination but, could you please state your source or sources? Thank you.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: The latest CWD info I just learned. « previous next »
Jump to: