Sending green capes out for commercial tan?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 11:05:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1787564 Posts in 222806 Topics by 49259 Members
Latest Member: 137buck
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Sending green capes out for commercial tan? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Sending green capes out for commercial tan?  (Read 3378 times)
oldshaver
Platinum Member

Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2017, 06:15:24 PM »

I understand the importance and worries of shipping green capes to the tanner. And ill say thank you for the advice I'm getting from people that are trying to help. I don't appreciate the attitude and fowl mouth from 3 bears. With that being said with all respect for all the people who are honestly trying to help. My question in my OP. was (where does everyone send there capes out to be tanned?) I'm looking for another good quality service other than the one that I already use to make sure I'm using the best service possible. Thanks again for the help.

3bears wasn't referring to you with his answer. He was talking to jujube, that made the eight hour comment. Probably someone that takes in green skins for tanning. Notice the new member? Half of those folks would be lost if they had to take in salt dried skins. Heck, they learn how to shave a little, buy the same tan you can buy yourself, and all the sudden they are expert tanners, with multiple years of experience!? As far as I'm concerned, it takes a pure idiot to put their trust in ANY SHIPPING COMPANY! The Taxidermist's doing it know it too, but they don't really care. They will just replace the skin, tell their customer it slipped, THEN, Bill the customer for the skin replacement! That's part of THEIR JOB they don't have to do anymore!
oldshaver
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2017, 06:36:51 PM »

FYI, if you drop your skins off at your Tanner for fleshing, that's great! No harm, no foul! Nothing wrong with that at all.

All that mess about food etc, being shipped, EVERY SINGLE BIT of anything like that STAYS IN REFRIGERATED TRUCKS!

Don't even try to piss on my leg, and tell me it's raining.  If your so darn proud of your practice of SHIPPING RAW SKINS, BY A  PROVEN UNRELIABLE METHOD,  tell your customers about your practice, and see what their thoughts are on your process! I PROMISE YOU, they won't use you again! WHY? Because they know the risk, obdviously better than their Taxidermist!

I have seen quite a few boxes, WITH MY OWN TWO EYES, that you had to run from after opening! Pouring slop out of the box, with hair falling off in huge chunks.

Wait a minute, I forgot to get myself a "brand new ID" , because I had too little confidence in my opinion to use my "real ID"!

Pardon my "foul mouth", but the practice of SHIPPING RAW SKINS ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN A REFRIGERATED TRUCK, is A SORRY BUSINESS PRACTICE, AND ALL OF YOU KNOW IT! Anyone thinking it's ok, knows very little about the skins you "TAXI".

LIKE I SAID EARLIER, PUT A SIGN UP IN YOUR SHOP, AND EXPLAIN YOUR PROUD PRACTICE TO YOUR CLIENTS!  See how long they remain your clients! Also make sure to tell them that they will have to pay for a replacement if the skin slips. You know darn well, you will just tell the customer his or her skin slipped, and say absolutely ZERO about you shipping it states away!

This subject fits perfect with that old saying from earlier. " Don't pee on my leg, and try to tell me it's raining"! Absolutely perfect for the folks defending this practice. PERFECT!  Even the hunters know to KEEP THE TROPHY COLD, KEEP THE TROPHY COLD!

FYI, the big tannerys started offering a fleshing service, because they had to. They have to keep up with all these "experts" that just bought a fleshing machine and a gallon of the newest tan on the market a year earlier.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 07:29:27 PM by oldshaver » Logged
joeym
Platinum Member

Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2017, 09:49:08 PM »

FYI, if you drop your skins off at your Tanner for fleshing, that's great! No harm, no foul! Nothing wrong with that at all.

All that mess about food etc, being shipped, EVERY SINGLE BIT of anything like that STAYS IN REFRIGERATED TRUCKS!

Don't even try to piss on my leg, and tell me it's raining.  If your so darn proud of your practice of SHIPPING RAW SKINS, BY A  PROVEN UNRELIABLE METHOD,  tell your customers about your practice, and see what their thoughts are on your process! I PROMISE YOU, they won't use you again! WHY? Because they know the risk, obdviously better than their Taxidermist!

I have seen quite a few boxes, WITH MY OWN TWO EYES, that you had to run from after opening! Pouring slop out of the box, with hair falling off in huge chunks.

Wait a minute, I forgot to get myself a "brand new ID" , because I had too little confidence in my opinion to use my "real ID"!

Pardon my "foul mouth", but the practice of SHIPPING RAW SKINS ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN A REFRIGERATED TRUCK, is A SORRY BUSINESS PRACTICE, AND ALL OF YOU KNOW IT! Anyone thinking it's ok, knows very little about the skins you "TAXI".

LIKE I SAID EARLIER, PUT A SIGN UP IN YOUR SHOP, AND EXPLAIN YOUR PROUD PRACTICE TO YOUR CLIENTS!  See how long they remain your clients! Also make sure to tell them that they will have to pay for a replacement if the skin slips. You know darn well, you will just tell the customer his or her skin slipped, and say absolutely ZERO about you shipping it states away!

This subject fits perfect with that old saying from earlier. " Don't pee on my leg, and try to tell me it's raining"! Absolutely perfect for the folks defending this practice. PERFECT!  Even the hunters know to KEEP THE TROPHY COLD, KEEP THE TROPHY COLD!

FYI, the big tannerys started offering a fleshing service, because they had to. They have to keep up with all these "experts" that just bought a fleshing machine and a gallon of the newest tan on the market a year earlier.

oldshaver, If you've got an opinion on this, don't hold nuthin' back LOL...it's bad for blood pressure readings at our age!!!

Joey Murphey, Taxidermist    Chunky, Mississippi    www.mstaxidermist.com     http://wokk.co
oldshaver
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2017, 06:50:15 AM »

LOL Joey, I really don't care what anyone does with their skins. Folks that send off green, aren't going to quit cause of my opinion. I'm just passionate about MY opinion.

It does rub me the wrong way, seeing folks try to rationalize this for their own monetary gain. It's happening here in disguise!
Jim Willard
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2017, 11:51:26 PM »

My wife & I run a small tanning service where we tan only frozen capes, we have not had any problems that were mentioned in this post, maybe we are just lucky.

Jim Willard
krollh
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »

A few years ago I was ready to quit taxidermy due to being overloaded. It almost came to that or lose my family.
Michael P suggested I send capes out green frozen to help take some load off. It made the difference. I'm now able to juggle what I have between other obligations and my taxi customers. Tannery is next day delivery without having to ask for it so that helps keep the costs manageable.
I'll still flesh and salt an iffy hide or a few here. Sometimes wish I could do them all because I do see some benefits but it doesn't out weigh what works for me.
JuJu Bee

Email
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2017, 09:46:50 PM »

Excellent example....we all have experienced the RUSH at the peak season. One day you have nothing the next you have 20 deer heads laying there. In this day and age a taxidermist is up against ALOT of barriers to make a go of it. You cannot hired people for 3 or 4 busy weeks a year. I think some folks are smoking funny stuff thinking shipping frozen goods is taboo. It`s nonsense. Do what YOU have to do to make YOUR business profitable.
3bears
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2017, 10:02:48 PM »

Excellent example....we all have experienced the RUSH at the peak season. One day you have nothing the next you have 20 deer heads laying there. In this day and age a taxidermist is up against ALOT of barriers to make a go of it. You cannot hired people for 3 or 4 busy weeks a year. I think some folks are smoking funny stuff thinking shipping frozen goods is taboo. It`s nonsense. Do what YOU have to do to make YOUR business profitable.
Maybe that's it? Maybe I need to start smoking herb. I 'll repeat what I said earlier, gambling on shipping companies to get frozen skins to a tannery on time and said tannery getting them either refrozen or in process is a fools bet, that will bite you in the ass, eventually. We all know that a cape properly handled and fleshed and salted can sometimes go to hell in the tanning process, so why add more probabilities of that happening? That may fit into your business model but not mine.
tazzymoto
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2017, 02:32:39 PM »

The only thing I ever shipped frozen was turkey heads, and that was always overnite. My salted hides
I will drop off at my tanner.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Sending green capes out for commercial tan? « previous next »
Jump to: