Help: Turkey fan, feet, beard display
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2017, 11:45:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1782675 Posts in 221699 Topics by 49007 Members
Latest Member: Tumfleet
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Help: Turkey fan, feet, beard display « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help: Turkey fan, feet, beard display  (Read 620 times)
Jessbailey223

Email
« on: September 01, 2017, 07:45:40 AM »

I feel a little silly asking this but I it's better to ask than screw something up, right?

Putting together and turkey fan, feet and beard display and I ordered a walnut panel from McKenzies. (The VTT6) Anyway, I'm looking at this thing and just trying to figure out how I attach the feet. I'm good with attaching the fan and beard but the feet have me puzzled. Can anybody point me in the right direction.

TIA
Tanglewood Taxidermy
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 08:32:03 AM »

I have never done one with feet before, however, I have seen them done these ways.

You can glue them on or screw them on by drilling a hole in the panel and a pilot hole into the legs and run a screw through the panel and into the legs or hang them from a leather thong from a decorative nail.
Jackson1814
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 09:33:46 AM »

This is what I've done several times.  I take 2 spent, high brass 12 gage shotgun shells.  I cut the plastic off up to the brass so there's nothing left but the brass.  I pre-fit the leg into the brass to make sure it fits.  Then I put the leg into the brass and pack epoxy sculpt around around the leg, let it dry securing it in the shell.  I drill a small hole in the primer of the brass and use 4 small brass eye bolts and screw one into each primer of the brass.  The other two eye bolts go into the panel wherever you choose to place them.  I usually place them on each side of the beard.  I take a pair of pliers and bend open the eye bolts on the panel and hang the feet onto these eye bolts and then bend them closed.  It looks really neat and customers love it.  Hope this helps.       
mopsrdrawer67
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 02:18:26 PM »

Jackson1814 thanks for the info.  I too have not found the perfect way of doing this, but what do you do with the actual legs??  While drying, I've had issues with the fat grease coming through and smelling.  Any tips??
Tanglewood Taxidermy
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 12:21:13 AM »

Inject with Masters blend, Fantastic cast or 50/50 mix of formalin and glycerin.
Tom Maul
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 10:36:58 AM »

X2

They called it paradise.
I don't know why.
Call someplace paradise... kiss it goodbye.
Jackson1814
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 12:22:21 PM »

I just cut the legs as short as I can.  Less flesh the shorter you go.  Don't go too short though, it will look funny.  Trim any meat off that's there.  I pack borax around the ends and let them dry.  I've done several this way and only had one the smelled.  On that one I cleaned off the old borax, took a wire brush to the ends and put more borax on them and let them dry longer, until the didn't smell.  No issues.
Tanglewood Taxidermy
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 04:34:47 PM »

I have done many turkey feet/leg "mounts" by hanging them from a leather thong attached to a spent shell very similar to how you described, just never to beard and fan panel.  Injecting gives you a more plump natural looking foot and leg as opposed to a shriveled up one. It is much more pleasing to the eye.
mopsrdrawer67
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 07:12:36 PM »

Thanks for the tips.  I actually did two by using the artificial "standing" turkey legs thru McKenzie.  They are incredibly realistic.  I had to heat and bend to the desired pose, air brush then glue on the customers' spurs.  Looks and works great with NO fat issues.  It was overkill but the customers loved them.
Tanglewood Taxidermy
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 08:23:23 PM »

mopsrdrawer67, I have thought about using the artificial legs and was wondering if you were able to do a lot of movement with heating the legs or just slight adjustments?
joeym
Platinum Member

Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 09:51:03 PM »

I attach the legs with brass "twist nails" found in the fastener section at Wal-Mart

Joey Murphey, Taxidermist    Chunky, Mississippi    www.mstaxidermist.com     http://wokk.co
Tanglewood Taxidermy
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 11:56:09 PM »

That's pretty cool joeym. I never would have thought to join the ends together like that.
mopsrdrawer67
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 07:53:03 PM »

Tanglewood Taxidermy.  The artificial legs do not have much movement even when heated.  I know it sounds ridiculous to do, but they are so stiff that I actually cut off the toes at each joint with my bandsaw, drill a hole thru them all and run a wire thru them and con nect to the foot, then fill in the joint with epoxy sculpt.  The pose is right on, then air brush and add the original spurs. They look great but alot more work than simply injecting them.
I have had bad luck with injecting with shrinkage and grease.  The artificial legs never look 'dead' and so far the customers have loved em.  They do cost around $40 a pair though.
Tanglewood Taxidermy
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 09:40:03 PM »

Thanks for the info, mopsrdrawer67. When I contemplated using them, how I worked it out in my head was to use heat or cut them, pose them, and Apoxie Sculpt them same as you did. I think I'll stick to injecting since I have had good luck with that once I figured it out. Still, I may try the artificial ones at some point.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Help: Turkey fan, feet, beard display « previous next »
Jump to: