From jar to mount
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 02:08:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1787157 Posts in 222708 Topics by 49242 Members
Latest Member: backcountryhunter18
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Reptile Taxidermy  |  Topic: From jar to mount « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: From jar to mount  (Read 567 times)
Icpet

Email
« on: September 30, 2017, 11:02:45 AM »

Hi there! At the biology lab there's a 34 inch snake in 70% alcohol jar. It has been ghere for one and a half year. Do you think I can skin and mount it now? Has anyone did something like this before?

Sorry for my bad English
rogerswildlife
Gold Member

Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 11:52:17 AM »

It's probably no good to mount . Snakes have a pretty delicate epidermis. But if it doesn't matter you could try it and see .
Tommy

Proud member of the Georgia Taxidermist Association                          2015 Georgia Best All Around Taxidermist
2017 Georgia Best All Around Taxidermist
www.rogerswildlifetaxidermy.com
Jim B
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:21:38 PM »

Yes if it is alcohol,I think it could be mounted.The kin should be rubbery but you can soak it in cold water till it gets fully pliable.This may take several hours but the skin should be very stable and the water should not hurt it,regardless how long it takes.I've mounted squirrels who's skins were in alcohol for 3 years,the alcohol evaporated and the skins completely dried up.I just soaked them in water till soft and they mounted just fine,with no slippage.

If it is formaldehyde,I personally wouldn't want to handle it.
Icpet

Email
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 07:39:31 AM »

Yes if it is alcohol,I think it could be mounted.The kin should be rubbery but you can soak it in cold water till it gets fully pliable.This may take several hours but the skin should be very stable and the water should not hurt it,regardless how long it takes.I've mounted squirrels who's skins were in alcohol for 3 years,the alcohol evaporated and the skins completely dried up.I just soaked them in water till soft and they mounted just fine,with no slippage.

If it is formaldehyde,I personally wouldn't want to handle it.

And what would you recommend for tanning? Is alcohol and glycerine mix good? Or what do you use?
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Reptile Taxidermy  |  Topic: From jar to mount « previous next »
Jump to: