Looking for the BEST school with everything included in tuition?? Please help
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 10:16:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1787226 Posts in 222728 Topics by 49242 Members
Latest Member: backcountryhunter18
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Looking for the BEST school with everything included in tuition?? Please help « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Looking for the BEST school with everything included in tuition?? Please help  (Read 990 times)
nb9094

100 % VET

Email
« on: October 26, 2017, 02:48:38 PM »

Hello, I'm looking to take a Taxidermy class so I can start on my own, but every school tells how great they are which kind of makes the choice a hard one. Some that sound good say you have to pay for the capes and mounts, or forms separate. Some that include lodging and meals sound like they would be to short to get every thing in I would need to know in the short amount of time. I'm looking for a school that includes lodging and meal along with the capes, hides, fish, forms and what ever else needed all in one tuition price. I do understand that if I want to mount something like a Wildebeest or a life size Jackalope that would probably have to pay more.
Thank you,
Neil Buck
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:42:22 PM by nb9094 » Logged

Neil M. Buck
3bears
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 03:40:23 PM »

I'm not sure you are going to find exactly what you want. Just pick a good school and call them and discuss the price of capes and antlers or skins that you want. Add that to your tuition and pay it all at once.
If I were to go back in time I would check out Troy Rose and still to this day considering checking into some advanced instruction.
nb9094

100 % VET

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 06:40:01 PM »

which ones would you say the top schools? I want it all.

Neil M. Buck
3bears
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 07:46:02 PM »

I cannot say but look at the work they put out as well as their past students. If you find it appealing than check em out.
twinrivers
Gold Member

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 09:40:26 AM »

Kindred Spirits School of Taxidermy in West Burlington, Iowa.  Teach everything you need to know, to include tanning and advanced habitat construction.  Also have on-site housing.  If your a vet they are an approved school through the Department of Veterans Affairs Vocational Rehab program.  Very great environment, very personable staff, and excellent one on one instruction. You also leave with the basics of tools to be able to start off on your own.

Jeff
nb9094

100 % VET

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 09:45:21 AM »

Thanks Twinrivers, and yes, I'm 100% disabled vet.
Neil

Neil M. Buck
Bill Dishman
Platinum Member

taxidermist / instructor

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 08:17:46 AM »

Thanks Twinrivers, and yes, I'm 100% disabled vet.
Neil
If your eligible for chapter 33/ post 911 benefits at the 100% level, you are covered by the VA.
Being 100% disabled, VA Voc Rehab will cover all your costs. Either way, it wont cost you anything.

SECOND NATURE SCHOOL OF TAXIDERMY, LLC
20360 Hwy 200 E.
Bonner,  MT  59823           
866 380-5757 toll free

SECOND NATURE School of Taxidermy is the proven choice of career minded taxidermy students from coast to coast.
We are government approved for students using GI bill and VA benefits.
pir^2h
Platinum Member

Retrievers give you the bird

Email
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 09:34:57 PM »

Of course every school is going to tell you they are the best!  They want your tuition money.  The "BEST" is a matter of opinion.  Make a list of potential schools and see which one meets your idea of what you want to accomplish.  Get the names of students who attended their course a year or more ago and contact them.  Once they opened a shop or went to work for someone else ask them what they liked about the course and any voids they thought the school needs improvement on.  Whoever you choose good luck to you. 

Vic

\\\"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"///
nb9094

100 % VET

Email
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 09:48:20 PM »

I just found out I had one year left to use my GI Bill. (Maybe longer, Togus VA told me last week that Trump had just signed a forever bill.) I went to the VA last year to find out what I needed to do to use my GI Bill for this school. They told me it had expired, maybe Voc Rehab could help. When I talked to Voc Rehab last year they told me it was next to impossible to use it if you were going to work for your self. I would need a business plan and ect. I don't remember all she said, once she said next to impossible I stopped listening. I was unsure about Post 911. Got out after 911, but before Post 911 GI Bill came around. I went in last week just to find out when it did expire. They told me I still Had a year to use it and the new bill Trump signed hadn't made it to them yet....So not sure what to believe until I see it in writing.
Thanks to everyone for responding,
Neil M Buck

Neil M. Buck
Bill Dishman
Platinum Member

taxidermist / instructor

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 07:38:57 AM »

I just found out I had one year left to use my GI Bill. (Maybe longer, Togus VA told me last week that Trump had just signed a forever bill.) I went to the VA last year to find out what I needed to do to use my GI Bill for this school. They told me it had expired, maybe Voc Rehab could help. When I talked to Voc Rehab last year they told me it was next to impossible to use it if you were going to work for your self. I would need a business plan and ect. I don't remember all she said, once she said next to impossible I stopped listening. I was unsure about Post 911. Got out after 911, but before Post 911 GI Bill came around. I went in last week just to find out when it did expire. They told me I still Had a year to use it and the new bill Trump signed hadn't made it to them yet....So not sure what to believe until I see it in writing.
Thanks to everyone for responding,
Neil M Buck

Your first step is to go to www.gibill.va.gov and click on "Apply for Benefits"
After your application has been processed; you will receive a letter of eligibility from the VA.
That will tell you, in writing, how many months of benefits that you have left.

SECOND NATURE SCHOOL OF TAXIDERMY, LLC
20360 Hwy 200 E.
Bonner,  MT  59823           
866 380-5757 toll free

SECOND NATURE School of Taxidermy is the proven choice of career minded taxidermy students from coast to coast.
We are government approved for students using GI bill and VA benefits.
twinrivers
Gold Member

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 01:18:53 PM »

I did not use my GI Bill for the taxidermy training; rather I used it for college years ago and gave any remaining to my daughter.  I strictly used the Vocational Rehab for my training.  Covered the total cost of tuition and housing plus standard start up tools.  In all actuality JoAnne at the school would be able to get you the paperwork and have it sent in for your schooling.  As long as you are eligible for VA Vocational Rehab she will handle the details of it all from what I remember.  It is worth the phone call.  Tell her I referred you; Jeff Bittner at Twin Rivers Taxidermy in Iowa.  Best decision I ever made.  There are other great schools out there, I am not saying that.  What I am saying is that when I was researching this from Baghdad, Iraq I made my decision to enroll here with no regrets.  Best of luck.

Jeff
hunter199

Email
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 11:23:01 PM »

While I can't comment on the quality of instruction at Kindred Spirit Taxidermy yet, I can say JoAnne has been great to work with while I have been getting set up with the VA.  I will be starting class in January and she has helped me get ready.  As soon as I got my Certificate of Eligibility back from the VA and sent to JoAnne, she was able to get the next set of VA paperwork filled out and filed in two days!  I was very impressed in the turnaround time. Now I'm just waiting on the final VA approval.  I can't wait.  I hope to see you in class in a few months!
jbtaxidermy

Email
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 05:02:46 PM »

http://cooksqualitytaxidermy.com
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Looking for the BEST school with everything included in tuition?? Please help « previous next »
Jump to: