boiling skull in peroxide/water
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 10:19:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1787226 Posts in 222728 Topics by 49242 Members
Latest Member: backcountryhunter18
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: boiling skull in peroxide/water « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: boiling skull in peroxide/water  (Read 257 times)
jbtaxidermy

Email
« on: November 13, 2017, 07:04:28 PM »

saw a video where a guy after cleaning a skull mixed water and peroxide and light boiled the skull again to get it really white.
was curious what you guys think or have done this yourself? does this help the peroxide get in the skull better?
i like the idea because i have the best luck whitening with heat or a really bright sun involved.
Just wasn't sure if this was super dangerous

thanks!
Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 06:53:55 PM »

Not dangerous but horribly wasteful. boil your peroxide and you throw it away. It is not good for repeated use as you have just destroyed it. You have the best luck with whitening with applied heat because that is the right way to do it. Paste up your skull, wrap it with plastic wrap and get it under a heat lamp. I do this with large skulls I can not submerge completely. I prefer to immerse the skull in straight peroxide for a day. Whitens inside and out as well as dissolves any hidden bits missed from cleaning. 5 gallon bucket of peroxide lasts for months. Boil any quantity of it and just toss it out at the end because you just broke it down into water and oxygen.

Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: boiling skull in peroxide/water « previous next »
Jump to: