Did Mckensie change the formula for WASCOs' Jim Hall mache?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 10:21:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1787226 Posts in 222728 Topics by 49242 Members
Latest Member: backcountryhunter18
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Did Mckensie change the formula for WASCOs' Jim Hall mache? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Did Mckensie change the formula for WASCOs' Jim Hall mache?  (Read 342 times)
fishinfool
Bronze Member

Email
« on: November 14, 2017, 06:39:17 PM »

When WASCO was WASCO, I remember J H mache as having more paper pulp and slower set up time. Now it seems to be moulding plaster. Sets up quicker and not much filler, just plaster. Moulding plaster has an odor as well as dextrine glue. I'm smelling plaster. ?????
fishmaster
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 07:20:11 PM »

the original may  have had HIFibe in it. HiFibe is no longer available so that may be the issue. Add paper pulp to it if you need some more body.
Cecil
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 09:46:46 PM »

I've had issues with the Tom Sexton filler setting too slow or not at all. Now it sets really fast. Wish someone that is responsible for this stuff would get their sheet together.

The risk I took was calculated, but man am I bad at math!
fishinfool
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 03:25:18 AM »

I used to get JH and Sallie's mache. JH for mounting and Sally for something like on the seam area. Sally's is yellow and you can smell dextrine in it. Sometimes I would add dextrine to JH mache. But now, it's just moulding plaster. I just don't like getting ripped off. Like fin backing creme. Take latex and change lable, new state of the art , made by nasa fin backing creme. Put this on your manikins and no more sanding. wonder how many fell for that?
FishArt
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 08:24:12 AM »

Just add a little bit of good ol vinegar to slow your set-up time to your taste by using more or less vinegar with the water when mixing...

"FishArt"
Marty Shimkus
Fish Specialties Taxidermy LLC
Various Locations
www.FishSpecialties.NET
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Did Mckensie change the formula for WASCOs' Jim Hall mache? « previous next »
Jump to: