American Mink bigger than 18 inches?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 11, 2017, 06:20:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1789291 Posts in 223178 Topics by 49368 Members
Latest Member: CheetahBae
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Lifesize Mammals  |  Topic: American Mink bigger than 18 inches? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: American Mink bigger than 18 inches?  (Read 860 times)
Cecil
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« on: November 14, 2017, 09:07:08 PM »

I just noticed a male mink on one of my fish rearing ponds that has to be a good 2 feet in length. Literature says they never exceed 18 inches. And no its not a otter!  ;D

Will be taking him out soon as mink and fish are not a good combination.

Anyone know of mink longer than 18 inches? 

The risk I took was calculated, but man am I bad at math!
Doug B
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 09:52:50 PM »

Could be a Escaped Ranch mink. I have a ranch down the road and catch a few monsters from time to time.

From 2014

Never stop Learning
USPS, When it positively must arrive late and Rotten!
Cecil
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 09:54:55 PM »

Good grief Doug that is a monster. I'm not aware of a any mink ranches around me but he may have been feeding on all the trout he wanted.

Doug B
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 09:59:31 PM »

Cecil

I have caught them in white , Tan and Black.

That one was eight and a half pounds and had talon marks in its back from a eagle.

Never stop Learning
Cecil
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 07:09:35 PM »

Well I bought a trapping license today. Dug a hole in the bank near where I saw him last and placed a trout in the back that didn't handle seining well and was developing fungal issues. Was barely alive so pretty fresh. The hole was barely below the waterline and I placed a conibear in front of the trout just under the water.

The other trap was set under a pier where it meets the bank in the main pond and again dug a hole and placed the conibear in front of the hole just under he water.

Any market for a large wild American mink here?  Internet says $10.00 tops.

Wish me luck! I've had plenty of experience trapping muskrat from the ponds but this is my first mink set.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 05:54:03 PM by Cecil » Logged

Cecil
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 05:53:13 PM »

Hmmm... conibear 110 set in front of a pipe concealed with grass with only one way to get in (over the conibear). Trap was not tripped but fish behind trap is gone! Other set under water in the entrance of a hole I dug in the bank was tripped and 12 inch trout that was in the back of the hole is gone too!

This could get personal!

I'm using mink urine now to cover my scent and maybe make it more interesting.  It's just a matter of time -- I hope! 

Trap under pier untouched but was not baited. (Completely different pier than the one I saw him out out under.) I don't want to draw the mink to that pond if I don't have to as it has all the trout.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 06:31:59 PM by Cecil » Logged

critterstuffr
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 11:15:31 AM »

Good morning.  When you set the conibear take sticks and run them through the jaws and into the bottom of the hole.  Bend the trigger wires so they are about 3" apart and place the sticks so they just miss touching the trigger wires. Narrowing down the opening will make the mink hit those wires and bingo mink will be there in the morning.  Don't worry about your sent they don't seem to mind.  If they're eating fish squirt some salmon oil or use sardines (in oil)l in the hole.  They are used to squeezing into tight places.  My biggest so far nose to tip of tail is 26"  I'm in Michigan and he was a pure wild mink.
Cecil
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 11:42:29 AM »

Good morning.  When you set the conibear take sticks and run them through the jaws and into the bottom of the hole.  Bend the trigger wires so they are about 3" apart and place the sticks so they just miss touching the trigger wires. Narrowing down the opening will make the mink hit those wires and bingo mink will be there in the morning.  Don't worry about your sent they don't seem to mind.  If they're eating fish squirt some salmon oil or use sardines (in oil)l in the hole.  They are used to squeezing into tight places.  My biggest so far nose to tip of tail is 26"  I'm in Michigan and he was a pure wild mink.

Thanks!

Doug B
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 01:04:55 PM »

You will get him!

They are a weasel and can slip through some tight spots and not hit the trigger.

Never stop Learning
Trappersteph
Gold Member

now you can have it...

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 05:01:30 PM »

I had raccoons do that to me, tripped the 110's over my bank hole mink sets.
Cecil
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 06:53:44 PM »

No luck yet. But it may have moved on. My parents walk a dog back there along with my visiting sister. Going to wait for full ice and snow and see if I can find sign and go from there.

oldboar
Gold Member

Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 08:45:09 AM »

Here is a picture of a mink I trapped when I was 18 years old.  When sold at the fur buyer he said it was the biggest he'd seen in 40 plus years of buying fur.  Wow where did 33 years go?

I believe it was 24 inches nose to base of tail when laid flat. 
I had enough brains to hold it up against a yard stick.  That was a banner day, Big male fox as well, believe it went just under 14 pounds, and small Beaver.
I'm 6'2" tall

Going to Tech school at the time....no money.  Great regret that I sold it, but had no choice.

Caught it in blind set.  At the time illegal to trap otters as there were very few in that part of Wisconsin back then.  When I pulled him up out of that drowning set, my heart dropped thinking I'd caught an otter.

Thanks for the post, brought back lots of good memories.

* mink 28.jpg (70.71 kB, 720x960 - viewed 61 times.)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:38:06 PM by oldboar » Logged
Cecil
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 01:20:28 PM »

Old boar,

Thanks for sharing. Yeah the time really flies doesn't it?

No sign or anything even in snow and the ponds are frozen over.

Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Lifesize Mammals  |  Topic: American Mink bigger than 18 inches? « previous next »
Jump to: