Powerwash Deer Capes
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 12, 2017, 04:47:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1789520 Posts in 223237 Topics by 49379 Members
Latest Member: west tn
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Powerwash Deer Capes « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Powerwash Deer Capes  (Read 1048 times)
SchepC

Email
« on: November 21, 2017, 03:51:25 PM »

I was curious when you use a power washer to flesh a deer cape is it more likely to cause slippage on the hair during the rest of the tanning process and mounting?  Also I assume once you get done power washing it you let it drip dry and then salt like normal for a couple days until no more liquid drains off.
joe simmons
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 10:39:58 PM »

been using a pressure washer for 10 plus years with no issues, flesh salt and send to tanner

Joe   Simmons
John C
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 11:05:57 PM »

Not at all. may in fact be better. You get the bloody bacteria filled crap off the skin faster.  With the right fleshing beam and spring hand clamps. you can do almost all of the cape. I did two bear, lifesize two elk capes, and 14 white tail capes in about 4 hours.... I turned the lips on the capes with the 15 degree tip and roto turbo tip for the rest.

There are only two kinds of people in the world. Givers and Takers. The givers give of their time, their money, and their love. They are happy because it gives them joy to make others happy. They are rich in friends and content with their lives. The takers are never happy.
SchepC

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 08:24:49 AM »

Thank you guys!
cgsmith

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 11:17:02 PM »

Flesh all my capes and hides with a power washer. I turn lips, nostrils, etc by hand and flesh the face on the round blade. Let them drip dry for about 30-40 minutes and then salt. My salting table right now is an old 2X4 slat porch tilted at a slight angle. Moisture drips out the bottom and allows air to circulate under the cape as well. Nothing better than power washing a bear or a beef hide!
DLYORK
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 12:26:22 PM »

Get a long apron thats vinyl coated, a face shield and dont do it near anything such as your garage or vehicle because crap will be sent flying everywhere. I cant do it because one of my labs will eat rocks if it has anything edible on it and that becomes expensive.
  Question for those who do it? Do you have an are to contain all the fat and flesh to dispose of? During the summer that stuff gets rancid and really smells if left out.
joeym
Platinum Member

Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 04:58:25 PM »

I live in the stix.    Nothing is left the next morning.   Buzzards first, then at night every creature in the woods cleans it up. 

Joey Murphey, Taxidermist    Chunky, Mississippi    www.mstaxidermist.com     http://wokk.co
OAF

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 08:22:12 AM »

What psi pressure washer do you guys use to flesh/turn capes with?
bob watkins
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 12:33:31 PM »

i use 3000 psi
pir^2h
Platinum Member

Retrievers give you the bird

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 02:02:20 PM »

I have an adjustable pressure washer from 1000 PSI to 3200 PSI.  Actually, the adjustment is on the wand.  Makes it a bit safer for the delicate areas and thin skins.  It does make a mess but by the next day there is nothing left.  Between buzzards, coons and whatever else lurks in my woods they clean it all up.  Take the advice and use a face shield.  The first time I used it I was doing a bear.  Somehow that fat blew back into my face.  It was nasty!

\\\"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"///
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Powerwash Deer Capes « previous next »
Jump to: