Jan Van Hoesen
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 11, 2017, 11:58:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1789328 Posts in 223186 Topics by 49370 Members
Latest Member: Stonefly_norway
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: Jan Van Hoesen « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Jan Van Hoesen  (Read 1874 times)
Michelle B
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 10:10:58 PM »

Please, if anyone knows arrangements please post it right away.

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything that comes their way!"
finazducks
Platinum Member

EJ is not the only one to have two WASCO Awards

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 10:28:25 PM »

Such sad news. Always hard to see an icon like Jan Pass.  She will be missed.

George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 10:56:11 PM »

Jan was one of my favorites.  She and I have a love hate relationship.  I loved her and she hated when I opened my mouth.  Still, we were always cordial and the day I knew she liked me was when we were in Huntsville, there was movie at the Space Center.  I went down front for the best effects.  Suddenly someone tapped me on the should and said, "Would you mind if I sat beside you."  It was Jan and we both laughed about being out in public together like that.  She once approached me and said she wanted an honest answer.  She was protective (as she should have been) about her manikins.  She said that one supplier wanted her to cut the toes off her bobcats and lynx forms. She wasn't happy about it and asked me for an honest opinion.  I told her though I lived her manikins and used them, I always cut the toes off and clayed them so I could adjust them to the diorama I was using.  She confided that she'd never thought of that.  I like Jan.  I liked her a lot and will sure miss her.  The industry with miss her much more.  God Speed, Lady.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
DLYORK
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 01:34:38 AM »

One of the sad things about aging is we go to more funerals than weddings.
Craig Lewis
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 12:15:58 PM »

It is always so sad when those we care about pass.  Jan was a special person with a special gift she gave freely to everyone.  My condolences to her family.  She leaves a wonderful    legacy of innovation and advocacy to the taxidermy world.  Gone but never forgotten
Kim Owens
Gold Member

Are we there yet?

Email
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 02:33:47 PM »

I'm sorry to hear this.  Jan was such a lovely lady and a pioneer to women in the taxidermy industry.  Danny judged with her many times and always appreciated her great knowledge of all things natural history and taxidermy.  At one UTA show the judges drew pictures of their area of specialization on the clipboards they were using for judging.  The artwork was then auctioned off to help raise money for the UTA.  Danny and I are the proud owners of Jan's picture- a bobcat head.  We will treasure it always. Rest in peace, my friend.

Life is tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid.
antlermike
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 09:39:08 PM »

Sorry To hear of Jans passing
Ron Kelly
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 09:02:37 AM »

So sad to hear this. Just saw her at the World show and we visited and  were remembering our times we judged together. Very Knowledgable and sweet lady.. RIP Jan. What a surprise.
tomdes
Platinum Member

Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Email
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 11:26:59 AM »

A great loss to our industry, our condolences to the family.
John Bellucci
Platinum Member

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 11:11:18 PM »

I just learned of her passing.  Rest in Peace, dear Lady.  You will be missed by many.  She always had a smile, and always made it a point to come over and talk to my wife and me.  My sincerest condolences to her family and friends ...

Conservatism Is A Social Disease!
Bimini

Jeff Daniels And Me

Email
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 07:54:28 AM »

Jan D. VanHoesen, 75, born May 5, 1942 in Mt. Pleasant, MI, passed away December 1, 2017.  Jan was a former science teacher in Leslie and Rogers City, MI and was an internationally recognized small mammal taxidermist.  She was the founding member of United Taxidermy Assoc.; former president of Michigan Taxidermy Assoc., and very involved in the Zonta Club of Rogers City.
Jan is survived by her sons, John (Lori) and Jay (Nicole) VanHoesen; five grandchildren: Adam, Mary, Tory, Clara and Elizabeth, and sister Pamela Dengler.  She was preceded in death by husband of 49 years, Jim, parents Robert and C. Joyce (Kincaid) KIine, and nephew Christopher Dengler.
A memorial service will be held Saturday, December 9, 2017 at 11:00 a.m. at Peters & Murray Funeral Home, Grand Ledge, with visitation from 10:00 a.m. until service time.  In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Zonta Club of Rogers City, 377 North 3rd St., Rogers City, MI 49779 or National Wildlife Federation, 11100 Wildlife Center Dr., Reston, VA 20190.
www.petersandmurrayfuneralhome.com

Jay Van Hoesen
Bimini

Jeff Daniels And Me

Email
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 08:06:03 AM »

My Brother John and I thank you all for the wonderful comments.   Our family really appreciates the words of love and support.

Jay Van Hoesen

Jay Van Hoesen
JL
Platinum Member

Taxidermist for 64 years

WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 12:03:26 PM »

I met Jan in 1992 in Gainsville Ga. at the world show where she had her magnificent bobcat laying on it's back in a bed of moss. Then I saw her again at the Conn. show and we discussed my Taxidermy Today article on making animal ear liners out of felt and Bondo. A great lady and admired by many including myself. Keep the gates open for me Jan.

Do one thing better than others and let others do their thing.....JL
byrdman
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 01:27:14 PM »

She deserves to have a special award named for her , like the Inchumick award ....... most innovative, expressionism etc.   somebody can work out details but Van Housen is a name that should be remembered at all NTA competitions.
Mark Maier
Gold Member

WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 02:35:22 PM »

We were neighbors by Northern Michigan standards. Nice lady. Sorry to hear this...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: Jan Van Hoesen « previous next »
Jump to: