Preserving a Snake in Resin
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 12, 2017, 04:47:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1789520 Posts in 223237 Topics by 49379 Members
Latest Member: west tn
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Reptile Taxidermy  |  Topic: Preserving a Snake in Resin « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Preserving a Snake in Resin  (Read 98 times)
curvyeye

Email
« on: December 05, 2017, 04:31:07 PM »

I'm newly fascinated by oddities, especially when it comes to preserved bugs and animals. I am COMPLETELY new to this hobby, I know nothing except for what I've been reading these past few days. I'm searching for some legitimate answers, and whether or not my desired process is a good process or not.

Recently, my green snake has passed away, and having a strong attachment to her I wanted to preserve her myself, rather than giving her a burial. I've begun to read lots about keeping wet specimens and how-to's, but I recently had a change of heart and decided to preserve her in resin, (main reason is because I would like to preserve her with other elements [flower petals], another reason is because keeping a wet specimen is hazardous. If this is true, then my own home is not a safe place as it gets very warm in my room [im not trying to burn down my only home]).

So my question is, I would obviously still have to go through the fixation process, right? I would go though the same methods of injecting her whole body with ethonal to keep her from rotting and to keep her in place.. right? (She looks like she hasn't eaten in weeks, if I'm reading legit stuff, then this process would at least fatten her up a bit). But would this process have any effect while placing her in the resin? I read that the resin heats up while drying, and sometimes it could boil any water still left inside your specimen.. my concern here is the chemicals reacting altogether.. should I still use the same process as the "wet specimen" process..? Or should I go ahead and try my best to remover her guts and then stuff her with some cotton? If this is the case then please explain how I would gut her and put her back as one.

Another question, I wanted to store her in a small glass mason jar, or would it be best if I did the process in a molding tray so that I could remove the finished project out of the mold, (Basicslly she would be a paper weight)..

I do hope this made some sense. Please help, I'm new to this and I don't want to destroy my prescoius baby. I know things could go wrong, and I could live with the mistake of cooking her up a bit, I just really don't want to have to throw this project into the garbage. Any and all help is much appreciated xxoo ❤️
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Reptile Taxidermy  |  Topic: Preserving a Snake in Resin « previous next »
Jump to: