Second duck critique.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 12, 2017, 04:45:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1789520 Posts in 223237 Topics by 49379 Members
Latest Member: west tn
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Second duck critique. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Second duck critique.  (Read 593 times)
Edrevord
Bronze Member

Email
« on: December 06, 2017, 09:19:44 PM »

Hi. This is my second duck. I'm new at this. Was looking for critiques. I feel like I've made big strides. The feet haven't been painted yet. I injected them with master blend until I had a blowout in my eyes.....had to abort that task.

* image.jpg (41.3 kB, 320x426 - viewed 284 times.)

* image.jpg (57.34 kB, 320x426 - viewed 281 times.)

* image.jpg (27.79 kB, 240x320 - viewed 283 times.)
1stturkey
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 10:51:09 PM »

Not bad for a second bird.  Left wing looks like it's not tucked quite right and the neck pose looks a bit severe.  Keep up the good work, you're on the right path.  Remember to always wear eye protection when injecting masters blend.  It has an uncanny affinity for human eyeballs.
Edrevord
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 09:44:59 AM »

Not bad for a second bird.  Left wing looks like it's not tucked quite right and the neck pose looks a bit severe.  Keep up the good work, you're on the right path.  Remember to always wear eye protection when injecting masters blend.  It has an uncanny affinity for human eyeballs.

Yea it sure does. the needle came off and got me in both eyes pretty bad. I think i got it all out though. The side pockets were extremely hard for me to position. i Used floral wire for the wings and it still felt like it was too much wire. I also used the Ferbees neck, and i wont do that again. They are so stiff its hard to get the angles you want.
aweiss44
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 02:34:35 PM »

If using those preformed necks, make a bunch of relief slices with a razor blade  across the neck where the bends will be. Has helped me before.
Tanglewood Taxidermy
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 05:36:36 PM »

If you remove the legs from the skin, you can pose them on the mannikin, put a baggie over them and inject the feet through the baggie. Then you can paint them before re attaching to the skin, no over spray worries.
1stturkey
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 07:39:08 PM »

I do the legs like Tanglewood, it's nice cause you can do it ahead of time.  As for wing wires, I try to use the thinnest I can get away with on standing birds.  Some don't use wires at all on standing poses but I like the control it offers. 
Edrevord
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 10:53:32 PM »

If you remove the legs from the skin, you can pose them on the mannikin, put a baggie over them and inject the feet through the baggie. Then you can paint them before re attaching to the skin, no over spray worries.

After you inject and paint, you let them dry on the log and then take them off and then re attach and mount in the form like normal? Did I get that right?
afthunt
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 07:39:23 AM »

What i do is put legs on manikin,  inject and pose the feet on log, let dry, take off log and paint feet. Put skin on put back on log and groom bird till dry.
Process in a nut shell

WTA and UTA member And waiting for the NTA drama to stop.
Tanglewood Taxidermy
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 08:37:02 AM »

The legs are permanently attached to the mannikin and let dry. Then, mount the skin to it.
Edrevord
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 09:39:32 AM »

The legs are permanently attached to the mannikin and let dry. Then, mount the skin to it.
Oh ok so I will have to cut down the leg skin and re sew it when mounting instead of tube skinning it out? Thanks for the tip.
bucksnort10
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 01:59:36 PM »

Hopefully we aren't leading you astray but you can do the feet at least 3 different ways (there may be more ??).

One is the way you are writing about, cutting down the leg skin, and then posing/painting the leg with it staying attached to the mannikin.  (You are removing the foot/leg bone(s) from the skin).

Another way is to remove the foot/leg bone(s) from the skin without slitting down the leg skin.  Then posing/painting the leg prior to mounting the bird.  Then removing the foot/leg from the manikin and installing it thru the tubed out leg skin at the time of mounting up the bird.

The third way is to leave the foot/leg bone(s) attached to the skin.  Then at the time of mounting the bird, you can pose and inject the foot.  After drying (meaning foot) you can paint the foot in place while your mount is "complete".

IMO I don't like the slitting of the leg skin as I do a poor job of sewing that back up in an orderly fashion.   I do method #2.

Hopefully you will gather that there are usually many ways to do a certain task in taxidermy.  My recommendation to you is to try a few of them and see what works for YOU and then go for that as your way to do something. 

Good luck on your ducks.  You did really well for your second bird.  On each successive birds try to do at least (1) thing better than your last bird and you will be well on your way.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Edrevord
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 02:49:27 PM »

Hopefully we aren't leading you astray but you can do the feet at least 3 different ways (there may be more ??).

One is the way you are writing about, cutting down the leg skin, and then posing/painting the leg with it staying attached to the mannikin.  (You are removing the foot/leg bone(s) from the skin).

Another way is to remove the foot/leg bone(s) from the skin without slitting down the leg skin.  Then posing/painting the leg prior to mounting the bird.  Then removing the foot/leg from the manikin and installing it thru the tubed out leg skin at the time of mounting up the bird.

The third way is to leave the foot/leg bone(s) attached to the skin.  Then at the time of mounting the bird, you can pose and inject the foot.  After drying (meaning foot) you can paint the foot in place while your mount is "complete".

IMO I don't like the slitting of the leg skin as I do a poor job of sewing that back up in an orderly fashion.   I do method #2.

Hopefully you will gather that there are usually many ways to do a certain task in taxidermy.  My recommendation to you is to try a few of them and see what works for YOU and then go for that as your way to do something. 

Good luck on your ducks.  You did really well for your second bird.  On each successive birds try to do at least (1) thing better than your last bird and you will be well on your way.

Thanks for the pointers. Ill keep hacking at it.
Tanglewood Taxidermy
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 08:02:27 PM »

I like the sound of the #2 method.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Second duck critique. « previous next »
Jump to: