Turning difficult deer ears
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 12, 2017, 04:49:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1789520 Posts in 223237 Topics by 49379 Members
Latest Member: west tn
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Turning difficult deer ears « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Turning difficult deer ears  (Read 408 times)
Marvtaxidermy

Email
« on: December 07, 2017, 10:56:17 AM »

Just turned ear in deer and the rverse pliers busted out the back, so on the other ear I was very careful using my
Thumbs and it also busted. The back skin on those ears were as thin as I have ever encountered. In the past I would jump on
The ears asap while still green and never been in freezer. But ocasionally run across one or both that is a pain. When is the best time to turn ear while still green or after pickle?  Does anyone have a better technique?
tazzymoto
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 11:34:57 AM »

I always turn green. I use the ear wizzard and love it, but occasionally I have to use a scalple

GWebb
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 12:36:40 PM »

Invert the ear until you are past the bulk of the meat and to the cartilage. Take a scalpel and score through all the membrane, barely cutting into the cartilage. Take some Dry Preservative (I've even just used talc powder) and rub it inside the ear. You can then get a grip and just use your thumbs inside the ear to separate it almost completely. You may have to use the scalpel in a few places near the edge when you first start but to me it is much easier than using the ear openers (reverse pliers). Never used an ear wizard though. After using this method that I believe George put on here I've never had an issue. Some of the older bucks that have scar tissue provide some problems but it's nothing a little TLC can't take care of when your inverting them.

Light travels faster than sound. That\\\'s why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.
coroner2
Silver Member

philip4u2@juno.com

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 02:04:49 PM »

Good post GW
boarhunter67
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 08:38:05 PM »

I really like the ear wizzard, but sometimes I end up turning the ears by hand using a scalpel and taking time.  I've always turned them green out to the last 1/4" and then done the last bit after tanning.
Marvtaxidermy

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 11:46:52 AM »

Thanks for suggestions. Starting to think it might be easier to turn when comes out of pickle and very wet, because if ears are dried out that can be trouble.
silverwings
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 07:51:02 AM »

I do exactly what tazzymotto said; it also pays dividends to be careful and to have both hands free
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 08:12:08 AM by silverwings » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Turning difficult deer ears « previous next »
Jump to: