Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 26, 2014, 01:05:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1596691 Posts in 188210 Topics by 42648 Members
Latest Member: MrAndersonGCC
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Front of Ears « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Front of Ears  (Read 1723 times)
JLong
Bronze Member

« on: October 16, 2006, 06:51:13 PM »

Ive done quite a bit of tanning with good results with one exception, Ive had allot of trouble with ears slipping on deer. Usually just the finer hair in the inside especially young and early season deer. Just wondering if anyone had any tricks that could help,would be greatly appreciated. Getting tired of thinking I'm home free and turning the ears right side out and having a bald inner ear.THANX
DB taxidermy
Bronze Member

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 07:40:39 PM »

Are you getting the ears turned all the way out to the edge. Maybe this is you problem. I am not a tanning expert by any means. I usually send mine out to a tannery

Jims Wildlife Studio
Platinum Member

Full Time PA Taxidermist

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 07:44:09 PM »

JLong, I agree with Fleshner, Make sure that the ear's are turned all the way out. I also send my cape's out commercially to be done.

Jims Wildlife Studio
158 Cemetery Street                                                                                                      
Archbald, PA. 18403
(484) 239-1275
JLong
Bronze Member

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 08:14:48 PM »

Thats not really where Im having problems at, its right in the middle 2 to 3 inches of the white patch of the ear. The back and around the edges are never a problem.  Sorry I hope I explained it a little better this time. THANKS for the info!
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 08:38:14 PM »

what is your process, start to finish?

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
Dean
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 08:42:46 PM »

I'm sure the deer are caped  out and prepped right away and put in salt, then I'd say there is a bacteria problem you're missing somewhere. Are you using fresh salt? What type of tan are you doing and what type of pickling? Are you using a bacteriacide? Where is the PH level at? Need more info on what you're doing.
JLong
Bronze Member

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 09:15:26 PM »

Turn lips eyes nose ears, rough flesh, salt 24hrs resalt 24hrs (fresh salt each time) Rehydrate in mild salt solution and bacteriacide ,drain,pickle per instruction(safety acid)PH 1.5,drain,shave,repickle,neutralize PH 4.5 to 5,drain and roll in towel to get access moisture out,tan with liquatan per instruction. Just cant figure out why its just the center of the ears and nothing else.
JLong
Bronze Member

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 08:48:52 AM »

Justin I usually turn them last which is going to change to first. I pretty much use the same technique starting with ear openers to get started and finish with my finger nails. It doesn't really take me very long to prep one start to finish,I'm going to go with your advise and turn and salt the ears first,if that don't work I'm ordering some stoprot which probably needs to be in my shop anyhoo.Thanks a million everyone for the input,I really appreciate it.
Wayne R
Platinum Member

NRA and B&C Life Member

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 07:16:18 PM »

JLong,

It sounds like you may have it figured out already. The heat from you hands could be a factor. You may want to gently dab some paper towels on the front side before you turn them to see if they are damp for some reason. They can be damp from the weather, or just how they were handled before you got the cape. The stop-rot you mentioned then could be brushed in. One thing I do when my capes are in the pickle solution, (I use saftee-acid too) is when I move the capes around every day, I partially lift them out of the pickle solution and put them back in to make sure every thing is getting the pickle where it needs to, While doing this I empty the ears and make sure they fill back up again. This way nothing is just sitting there for any length of time. I don't know if that actually makes a difference but I feel better knowing it hasn't sat there for 3 days or longer without the pickle solution in the ears not being changed.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Front of Ears « previous next »