Saving for later
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2014, 04:54:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1625567 Posts in 192532 Topics by 43499 Members
Latest Member: Johnnyboy
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Saving for later « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Saving for later  (Read 3569 times)
Coot2000

« on: October 22, 2006, 11:06:20 PM »

I am just beginning and have been working on some birds.  I find that I cannot always finish the skinning, defatting, and mounting the same evening.  I become fatigued and should wait until the next day but have been afraid the skin will not keep.  How do I properly prepare them to keep overnight until I can finish?  What is the maximum time for storage at this point?
elkhunter1313
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 12:08:48 AM »

On most birds Borax helps with the defatting and such..Borax also serves as a good "keeper" of bird skins
The standard 20 Mule team Borax laundary powder (unscented) will work.

King of Krowtann: 10 year user and still going strong!!!
blacktailer

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 11:14:53 AM »

I dont like using borax to keep overnigt. Put it in the fridge, it will be fine make sure it is bagged so it does not dry out. Dont use borax until you are ready to mount it or else the skin will start to dry out and get stiff befor you want it to. I have never had a problem with putting a bird skin in the fridge overnight maybe smeone else can argue differently though.
Cole
Platinum Member

Amateur Taxidermist

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 03:50:18 PM »

fridge is fine, I've done it more than once.

Cole Cruickshank
Cameron, MO 64429
Becky P
Platinum Member

One must believe the glass is half full.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 08:27:35 PM »

Bag it and put in fridge. I would not borax it until ready to mount, borax will dry it out - that's it's job.
I also do not like borax for defatting. I use a wire wheel and keep a spray bottle handy. Keep the skin/fat WET and it will just melt off. Borazx wil tighten it up and make it easier to rip (in my experience).
Many times I will skin, defat/degrease, wash, wash, wash, rinse, rinse, rinse (LOL) wrap in a towel, put in a bag and refrigerate overnight (or freeze for another day) and mount the next day.

www.beckyswildlifestudio.com
Accepting wholesale work - birds, lifesize, gameheads.
Greg Waite
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 09:15:49 PM »

Try this, I only did this once but had good results. Coat it good with Dawn dishwashing liquid and put it in the fridge overnight. The dawn really broke down the fat and made it easier to flesh. The reason I only did it once is because I don't normally mount birds. But if I shoot some this year I will do it again. Hope it helps

We do not prize the word cheap. It is not a badge of honor. It is a sign of despair. Cheap prices make cheap goods. Cheap good make cheap men. Cheap men make a cheap country.
                 President William McKinnley
BigSwede
Bronze Member

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 10:42:39 PM »

You can also freeze the skin. Even if it is only rough fleshed and with wings, legs etc. cleaned it will thaw out in practically no time. I do this all the time being a parttimer.

BigSwede

Somewhere... somewhere in heaven above me...  I know that my mother is proud of me... cause Im a TAXIDERMIST... and  a      SUCCESS !
joeym
Platinum Member

Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 10:55:41 PM »

I always do three ducks at a time.  I skin, defat, degrease, wash, tumble and dry.  I mount 1 or 2 that day, refrigerate what is left and do the next morning.  Just do a good job of blowing the bird with air before you mount.  No dry preservative or borax til right before mounting.  They will keep in the refrigerator in plastic bags for up to 72 hrs with no problem

Joe Miitchell (aka jkmitch) and Joey Murphey (joeym)

Joey Murphey, Taxidermist    Chunky, Mississippi    www.mstaxidermist.com     http://wokk.com/pages/2965375.php
Tim McLagan
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 11:20:36 PM »

I like to skin 2 or 3 ducks at a time, and defat. Then they go in the bath with Dawn for at least 2 days in the fridge. I have left birds in the bath this way for up to a week, with no problems at all. This way I always have one ready to dry and mount in the afternoon, or use as fill in work. I keep the fridge just above freezing. Tim 

" GIT - R - DONE "

www.mclaganstaxidermy.com
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Saving for later « previous next »