Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 07:33:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1609336 Posts in 189949 Topics by 42995 Members
Latest Member: Grant222
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Fish Reference Photos (Moderator: DocEsox)  |  Topic: Trout, Rainbow Coastal....(Oncorhynchus mykiss irideus)....a mess of them... « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Trout, Rainbow Coastal....(Oncorhynchus mykiss irideus)....a mess of them...  (Read 5527 times)
Terry
Silver Member

De-lighted to be living in Alaska!

« on: October 15, 2007, 01:43:22 PM »

Middle Fork Goodnews River... They were like clones; this one was very typical.

* P8030050.JPG (64.06 kB, 640x480 - viewed 1153 times.)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 08:59:54 PM by DocEsox » Logged

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (1Thessalonians 5:16-18)

"Boy, are you a stutterer, or have you just got a brick for a brain?"- Capt. Inish Scull; Comanche Moon by Larry McMurtry
Terry
Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 01:44:47 PM »

top half of mid body and dorsal

* P8030049.JPG (75.15 kB, 640x480 - viewed 1153 times.)

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (1Thessalonians 5:16-18)

"Boy, are you a stutterer, or have you just got a brick for a brain?"- Capt. Inish Scull; Comanche Moon by Larry McMurtry
Terry
Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 01:46:21 PM »

Mid body to belly.

* P8030048.JPG (74.69 kB, 640x480 - viewed 1141 times.)

Terry
Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 01:47:10 PM »

Head shot.

* P8030047.JPG (64.1 kB, 640x480 - viewed 1122 times.)

Terry
Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 01:48:37 PM »

Front half.

* Copy of P8030044.JPG (79.7 kB, 801x600 - viewed 1127 times.)

Terry
Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 01:49:51 PM »

Different shot- upper half. Sorry for all the "replies"... it's only letting me post one at a time.

* Copy of P8030045.JPG (105.18 kB, 801x600 - viewed 1150 times.)

Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 05:04:14 PM »

Excellent Terry!

My biggest fear is dying and my wife selling all of my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it.
John T
Bronze Member

Glad I called off work this day!!!

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 05:42:10 PM »

Beautiful pictures. Much appreciated
crankin
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 04:06:21 AM »

wow some of them, holy spots! i have never seen one so spotted up like that

COLLIN
fishnart24
Gold Member

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 04:52:40 AM »

awsome pictures...thanks
DocEsox

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 02:33:45 AM »

I've often wondered on replica mounts how you guys decide to paint them if the client doesn't provide any good pictures.  By far and away the predominant majority of rainbow trout caught are non native, mutt (sorry for my obvious bias) rainbows of hatchery descent.  They have a very generic quality.....and then those abberant genetic freak triploids....don't even take me there.  Rainbow trout have many recognized subspecies....many looking quite different from each other and few pure strains looking like our hatchery descendants.  Here in Alaska, so far, we have been smart enough not to import any nonnative species (maybe a few brookies down south in Alaska) and the rainbows are all coastal rainbow trout subspecies....spotted up the wazoooo.  But even then there are variations in color depending on location, river size (smaller waters nearly always produce "prettier" fish), etc..  Here's a herd of Alaskan coastal rainbows from several different waters.

The first group are from the Talkeetna River.....it is usually fishable early in the season and I make a trip or two there.  These rainbows have an almost whitish background, the stripe is not to impressive but their spotting is absolutely out of control.....

The Talkeetna River is about 120 miles north of Anchorage....generally the farthest water I fish north....as you come back towards Anchorage you run over a series of rivers/streams.  All of these rivers dump into the Susitna River....a giant brown waterway emptying into the Cook Inlet across from Anchorage.  I've had many locals from this area tell me they could identify which river a particular rainbow came from by their color....probably some truth to that as you look at fish from each river.  The next one down is Montana Creek which puts out some really beautiful fish....

Several miles farther south is Sheep Creek...

After that......another patch of miles and you come on the Kashwitna River.....

Another 20 or so miles going south (and several small creeks I usually don't fish) comes the very popular Willow Creek.....

A ways up Willow Creek there is a little side stream called Deception Creek.....due to the high numbers of bears most of us avoid this creek except very early in the year before any salmon are up the the water.  I went up 4 years ago and caught some of the most beautiful trout I have ever seen.   They all have a very yellow background, heavy spotting and generally intense red stripe.....

This last one is spectacular.....

Going down south and west to the Kenai Peninsula I frequently fish a small, sockeye spawning creek, Quartz, for dollies....occasionally there are bows mixed in.....

Unfortunately most of the big bows get off as I am using lighter gear and they are nearly always located under downed trees which they use expertly to escape.  These last are all big bows from the upper Kenai River.....like most big river fish their colors usually aren't as intense...but their spotting is sometimes amazing.  Many of these rainbows move back and forth from Skilak Lake into the Kenai....I personally believe the extremely heavily spotted ones are resident fish and probably don't go to the lake.  The closer you get to the lake the bows seem to be more washed out in color...

This one was caught on the upper Kenai and due to the pink coloration and red on the throat it looks like it should be a cutthroat or cuttbow.  But there are absolutely no coastal cutthroats anywhere near the Kenai Peninsula rivers.....just happens to be an abberant colored rainbow.....

This last one I caught on the upper Kenai but it didn't look quite right.  The guide I was with took a few scale samples before release and sure enough it was a steelhead.....generally it is pretty easy to tell because the body spotting pretty much stops at the red stripe on the steelies.  There are 2 subspecies of steelhead and all of them up here are the O. mykiss irideus models.  The very last one is a very colored male steelhead caught during the spawn on the Situk River.....

Hopefully in this menagerie someone might find something useful to their work.

Brian
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:25:24 AM by DocEsox » Logged
aspenangler (Shane)
Gold Member

B+______><(((>______><(((>

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 02:40:17 AM »

Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing

Proud member of the PTA, OTA and WVTA Board Member
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Fish Reference Photos (Moderator: DocEsox)  |  Topic: Trout, Rainbow Coastal....(Oncorhynchus mykiss irideus)....a mess of them... « previous next »