pike paint help needed matching green too dark
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 07:14:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1626173 Posts in 192632 Topics by 43523 Members
Latest Member: a206205
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: pike paint help needed matching green too dark « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: pike paint help needed matching green too dark  (Read 1458 times)
rnviper3
Platinum Member

« on: October 25, 2006, 12:23:15 PM »

i am painting a pike that was very greenish when it came in.  my customer just caught it and brought it to me. so i took some awesome reference pictures.  problem is when it is mounted and dried, the skin color is brownish.  when i try to get the green color back, its too dark.  I'm using med bass green.  should i put a light base coat of off white on the fish to lighten it up so the green shows up better.  any help would be greatly appreciated.  thanks in advance.
bob
RNTAXIDERMY@AOL.COM

Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 02:55:03 PM »

eviper.

The problem is you are assuming the color you apply is the color you get. Makes sense but in reality it doesn't work that way on skin mounts. You already have an underlying skin color that will effect your final color. If your fish it too dark you need to go lighter in the color spectrum i.e. a lighter green or even a yellow. I would also suggest a light metallic base coat before applying your color. I use irridescent gold.

Don't use white! You'll end up with an unnatural fish. You want the skn detail to show through.

Also don't apply your color too heavily. Just enough to get the color you want.

My biggest fear is dying and my wife selling all of my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it.
den007
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 05:24:42 PM »

You can use white to lighten the fish. I just did 2 last night that dried really dark, pukey brownish. Some of the pike and musky have major scale flaws, tooth marks, etc that have to be blended in before painting. All I can say is, look at some of the awesome replicas that are painted over a white gel coat. Look at carvings that are ot of this world that are primed in white. If you can really paint, you can paint over white ( or a lighter base) and get great color. I thought the old tinting versus lightening debate was over!

Dennis Murawska
Angler's Art Taxidermy
"To live is not necessary...
To fish is necessary."   Latin inscription
ArtisticAnglerInc.
Bronze Member

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 05:36:09 PM »

As crazy as this sounds....you may be able to get your green color by using yellow. After whitening up the belly and fading it up the sides....try putting just yellow instead of green. From there you can determine the darkness or lightness of the green by simply backspraying black over the yellow...Hope its not to confusing. In no way am I saying thats the right way but it might work for you.....Youd be surprised what a nice green you can achieve by simply using yellow, and then black backsprayed.....

" In my opinion there is no right or wrong way, as long as it looks how you want"
Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 09:09:08 PM »

As crazy as this sounds....you may be able to get your green color by using yellow. After whitening up the belly and fading it up the sides....try putting just yellow instead of green. From there you can determine the darkness or lightness of the green by simply backspraying black over the yellow...Hope its not to confusing. In no way am I saying thats the right way but it might work for you.....Youd be surprised what a nice green you can achieve by simply using yellow, and then black backsprayed.....

" In my opinion there is no right or wrong way, as long as it looks how you want"

Hmmm... must be an echo in here.  ;)

My biggest fear is dying and my wife selling all of my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it.
rnviper3
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 09:44:26 PM »

thanks for the help.  this was baffling me.  I'm still basically a beginner at painting fish.  i have done a few pike that were on the brownish side, and that was OK.  this fish is very green with very pronounced gold tips.  i did use gold tipping, that looks awesome by the way, but after stripping off the first paint job, looks like more hours of tipping to finish.  ill try the yellow base.  Cecil i did use iridescent gold, but maybe i didn't use it dark enough.
thanks again for all your help.
bob
RNTAXIDERMY@AOL.COM

Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: pike paint help needed matching green too dark « previous next »