Bury the head/antlers?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 21, 2014, 12:29:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1632269 Posts in 193684 Topics by 43735 Members
Latest Member: justinxct
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Bury the head/antlers? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bury the head/antlers?  (Read 4053 times)
yakrider

« on: October 26, 2006, 01:05:07 PM »

Greetings,

My nephew says he just burys the head in the back yard...  I have a nice 5x7 mule deer head from a hunt 5 days ago.

Has anyone done this?  Do you bury the head and antlers?  How long does it take to "process", ie. get a clean skull from the biological action of the soil?  How deep should it be buried?

Thanks, new to all this!

Jim
ryanolson72
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 01:18:59 PM »

I would not recomend it.  I would have it sent to a dermisted beetle company.  I don't trust my trophy in the ground.  My luck, a coon will dig it up and drag it off.  Go see a taxidermist in your area and pay the 150.00 or so to have it professionally done and they turn out 100x better than any burried or boiled skull.  Just my 2 cents...

Ryan Olson
A Sportsmans Dream Taxidermy
11511 Sprinkle Rd.
Vicksburg, MI 49097
269-649-1721
jwj4856
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 01:50:35 PM »

If you want to do it yourself go to the search and look up maceration, its easy to do and is safe also.

Double J Taxidermy
Shreveport, LA
Jims Wildlife Studio
Platinum Member

Full Time PA Taxidermist

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 01:40:04 PM »

I have to agree with ryan. All my skull's are beetle cleaned. Buried skulls are some times dug up by coons and drug away. If you don't have acess to beetle's go with the maceration. Good Luck, Jim

Jims Wildlife Studio
158 Cemetery Street                                                                                                      
Archbald, PA. 18403
(484) 239-1275
Jhawk
Silver Member

My second job.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 02:05:43 PM »

If you want to bury the skull put a bucket or barrell over the antlers and secure it. This keeps them from fading in sunlight.

It's not what you look at... it's what you see.
RD Martin
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 07:15:58 PM »

+1 on Masceration!

Old Fart
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 08:36:57 PM »

Out of curiosity I did just that a few years ago with a small whitetail skull.  Time frame will depend on what part of the country you are located it, but I would say a bucket of water will probably be much faster. My skull was so stained by the soil that I never did get it white. Yes, it will work, but there are far better ways. On the positive side, there was no smell.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Evelyn Billington (Superpig)
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 10:04:48 AM »

I would not recommend burying the skull for two of the reasons mentioned here. One is, he skull could be dragged off, the second it takes a long time ( it may have to be burried for a year or longer). Another reason against burial, is the  leach out the calcium in the bone. At the same time minerals like iron (give the bone a rusty coloration) will soak into the bone and can discolor it permanently. If you want a nice white skull, I would suggest maceration or beetles. Stay away from simmering/boiling the skull, as this also removes calcium out of the bone and can make the skull brittle. Best to take it to an experienced taxidermist who knows what he/she is doing. Ask them prior on how they clean their skulls though. You don't want to end up with someone just throwing your skull in a pot and cooking it. :)

Offering Wholesale services for skulls, reptiles and small mammals
Billington Ranch Taxidermy
Georgetown, TX
254-793-2120
www.billingtonranchtaxidermy.com
www.facebook.com/billingtonranchtaxidermy
taxidermyranch@aol.com
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Bury the head/antlers? « previous next »