To be a taxidermist............
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 09:59:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1625270 Posts in 192469 Topics by 43494 Members
Latest Member: fishmicon
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: To be a taxidermist............ « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: To be a taxidermist............  (Read 3106 times)
CLIFFTAX
Platinum Member

Taxidermist

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 04:22:36 AM »

Doing great work is only half of this business. If you lack business and management skills, you will never get ahead in this field of work. The other route would be to work for someone else  and who wants to do that ?

What's On Your Wall?
FishArt
Platinum Member

Marty & Son Cass Lake Minnesota

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 08:46:35 AM »

I agree with Shane. With just about ANYTHING in life, hard work, dedication and determination is far more important than natural ability. But, IF you're striving to be the Best in the World or have very high goals like this, then artistic ability becomes much more important...

"FishArt"
Marty Shimkus
Fish Specialties Taxidermy
Shorewood, Illinois
www.FishSpecialties.NET
Lonny Travis
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 10:11:04 AM »

I`d also like to add some things about compositions..how a piece is presented has alot to do with it`s appeal...I see alot of decent mounts but once people put it on a habitat everything goes to the wayside...sometimes less is more or visa versa...some people have an eye for compostion and some don`t..fortunately these things can be learned if ya really sit down and study good work from great work...knowledge is a powerful tool in the world of taxidermy and motivation will carry you a long ways..some people have NO artistic ability and it normally shows..people can always improve through hard work and study...fish require the most artistic ability in my opinion. Learning to blend colors, and layering can take years to learn to do correctly...with mammals it`s all about expression and finer details in muscle structure and prep work...In my opinion what seperates the greats from the not so greats is patience in prep work, and studying the animal your working on, but making it all come together with the habitat/base puts the final piece to test..
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: To be a taxidermist............ « previous next »