Competition VS not competing
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 03:40:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1571885 Posts in 184438 Topics by 41986 Members
Latest Member: brand
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Competition VS not competing « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Competition VS not competing  (Read 7315 times)
John C
Platinum Member

Hell's coming and I am coming with it.

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2006, 10:52:38 AM »

I will not attend the 07 World Show, its a 36 hour drive oneway for me. Just toooo far. But I plan on going to the NTA show and attending the OK show. I never start a true show mount as many others do. I enter a piece of customers work. I have on occasion taken Best of Category and many first places with customers mounts.

I have learned a lot from going to shows, but I also have learn some JUDGES should not judge, others have been super helpfull. I even judged a few shows back in the 1980's I think I may have learned more from judging than I did from going to shows. I learned to pay more attention to reference from judging.

ROR, going to shows is part of your continuing EDUCATION, I know of many taxidermist who thought they did good work, then hit a few shows and were fighting mad because they did not get a ribbon.

Some taxidermist are going to say Ribbons don't put money in their pocket, but I argueeeee, learning to do better work by attending shows, will put better mounts out your door and that will put more money in your pocket.

Skilled labor is not cheap. Cheap labor is not skilled.
Becky P
Platinum Member

One must believe the glass is half full.

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2006, 12:46:36 PM »

Some taxidermist are going to say Ribbons don't put money in their pocket, but I argueeeee, learning to do better work by attending shows, will put better mounts out your door and that will put more money in your pocket.

I'll argue with that too. LOL I have several customers that drive 2-3 hours to bring me their trophies BECAUSE they know I compete and am always learning and trying to improve. I know this because they have told me.
And in case some get any ideas, NO, I do not let them think my commercial work is the same as competition work. I have show peices in my showroom and they ask why I scored what I scored, I explain to them what a judge is looking for. They can't believe you get deductions for things that are felt and not seen. That part doesn't matter to them so much as long as it looks good, but then they have an idea of the detail /work that is invovled, and that is good for business.

www.beckyswildlifestudio.com
Accepting wholesale work - birds, lifesize, gameheads.
RJ Simington
Platinum Member

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2006, 09:30:46 PM »

I am with Becky P on this one.

I have picked up several customers that saw my work at a show , such as Western States Championships in California, & Oregon show, & they decided to have me do their Safaries.
I would have probably never even met these folks without going to the shows, & we are talking Thousands of dollars in work.

Kind of makes the $150. for competeing look like a good investment.

People do follow the convention trails to see who is winning or coming up with new ideas the want in thier trophy rooms.
Todd K
Platinum Member

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2006, 09:44:20 PM »

8)   I would like to add one more piece to this conversation.  And I'm wandering if anyone else has seen this first hand. I know a couple of taxidermists who have done outstanding pieces at shows I have attended. But their everyday commercial work in my opinion is not that good. I understand that you can't put the same amount of time into a commercial mount as you would a competition mount. That being said, aren't most of us in this to make money? So just because one person has won lots of competitions, are they really any better than someone who does good commerical work?  I have customer heads in my shop and thats what I show a possible new client who wants to see my work. If he asks about my ribbons on the wall I show him the pieces I've competed with and explain the differences. Competitions are excellent learning opportunities and I will go back someday, but if a person don't attend shows, they could still do well in this business!
Becky P
Platinum Member

One must believe the glass is half full.

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2006, 09:51:34 PM »

True Todd. I guess I should have stated that I have my show peices right along side my customer peices. They do not see the diiference unless pointed out to them.
I do know what you mean though about good show vs. crap customer work, I've seen it to. I never plan to slip into that catagory, if I do, it's time to quit. I look at my customer work as practice for competition, granted I can't always spend the same amount of time but I try to put out a nice presentable peice without obvious flaws.

www.beckyswildlifestudio.com
Accepting wholesale work - birds, lifesize, gameheads.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Competition VS not competing « previous next »